Countdown - In Theaters October 25th, 2019

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Sep 13, 2019.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Countdown is a new horror film from STX about an app that can predict when its user will die.

It will be in theaters nationwide on October 25th, just in time for Halloween.

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I caught a post-Halloween matinee of this today, and... it's pretty much what it looks like?

I enjoyed the first half-hour and thought this might be a fun Wish Upon style teen horror film, sort of a PG-13 spin on Final Destination. It starts out similar to The Ring, with a group of teenagers at a party playing with the app, which ends up being the most entertaining part of the movie. After that, the movie pretty much zeroes in on the main girl, her sister, and a random guy she encounters, none of whom are especially interesting. And given how the app works, there's really not a whole lot for her to do except wait out the clock. They see figures lurking about, who jump out for a scare every now and then, but we know they're safe until the clock hits zero. Also, this is one of those movies where when the time is winding down, and the clock shows 2 minutes left, we see about 5 more minutes of movie and when they check the time again, it's still only like 1 min 27 seconds.

There are a few side characters who come in as comic relief, including a bumbling priest and a snarky phone salesman (stick around for the end credits, as one of them has one last scene after the movie is over), but this movie really needed more characters on the chopping block to get killed off throughout. It seems like everyone in the movie is downloading the app, but only the three main characters have a small timeframe left.

This was forgettable teen-horror fluff that should have gone to NetFlix. That said, it's relatively easy to watch compared to half-hearted studio snoozefests like Annabelle Comes Home or Curse Of La Llorona. That isn't an endorsement, but take it as you will.

3. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I put this on my list when I saw some of the trailer on TV. It looked kind of interesting. I'll probably watch it for free around this time next year.