Creep, 2005 (2004?) Franka Potente

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by aoiookami, Aug 21, 2005.

1. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

I just watched Creep, the subway-stalker movie starring Franka Potente. I'll start by saying I'm quite dissapointed, and I'm glad I watched this first before shelling out cash to import the DVD after being impressed by the trailer I saw several months ago.

The films plot is very simple; Young woman leaves a party and decides to take the subway train to catch up with a friend who left before her. She sneaks in a few drinks of alcohol before her train arrives and zonks out, missing the last train, and finding herself locked within the subway station. Within minutes, she is being chased around the underground tunnel system by an unseen, vicious stalker, the Creep.

The best thing about the movie are the sets, the environments; lots of dark and gritty sewer and subway tunnels, which are all lit beautifully, and uh..'creepily' by usually a single light source; flashlight, cigarette lighter..etc. Actually the entire movie is shot really nicely, great cinematography...but thats about the extent of what I liked. The first half hour of the movie is quite good, its nicely paced; since there is not much room for story the action starts up quite soon and dosent let up...

...However the point where the movie went downhill for me was the first reveal of the 'Creep', he is very dissapointing and un-inspired. From that point on its hard to take the rest of the movie seriously when you are completely not scared, or creeped out by the main villain and basically just find him rediculous looking and un-inspired.
    Its basically just a guy with some skin make-up, and some face and back make-up to make his head look a little demented and parts of his spine bulge out, honestly that one photo of that creepy-ass sex offender Brian Peppers is more scary, no lie.

Not only this, but there are several 'dumb-horror-girl' moments that just made me smack my head and think 'why the hell didnt she......', For example;
    ...when she escapes from the cage she is being held in and is able to knock the Creep down by stabbing him with her heel, he drops the long, sharp 'pike' he used to stab at his victims. Of course she dosent pick it up and kill him with it.
    or when
    George gets killed and the Creep is laying on the floor, she drops the crowbar she is holding and runs away. :rolleyes:
    or
    The Creep has created new holes and tunnels in the subway system, made himself a little operating room, basically designed his whole living area..but he leaves open gaps in the bottom of the cages he keeps his victims in to die?? Yeah okay..

Also for some reason the movie tries to go into some kind of backstory for the Creep, we see some things that give us 'some kind' of look into his past, yet the movie dosent actually bother to explain any of the important details...I mean for example
    Okay so we see the old photo that tells us he was once a normal looking doctor of somekind, and that his name was Craig....okay thats great and all, dont bother to explain how he actually turned from a normal looking human into a psycho killer mutant or anything :rolleyes: . I might as well add in this spoiler that the Creeps death scene is also really lame and un-exciting

There were just too many 'dumb moments' and parts that were 'partly' explained but didnt bother to 'fully explain', so why bother even giving us those 'partly explain' tid-bits in the first place?? In adition to the fact the Creep himself isnt really scary at all I give this movie a thumbs down, try to see it first before you decide on getting/importing the DVD like I did.

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I actually don't remember the last time I was scared by the look of a villian, so I wasn't expecting that. The problem for me was that the whole "strange things happen, and it's a monster thing" is what is so uninventive and lame. The sets were... well that's the London Underground actually, I mean that's what it looks like. Still, at night, late, it can be an "interesting" place.

As for the story,I don't think he was a doctor, I think he was some kind of victim. As you say though, nothing is truly explained. Why? because it leaves the door open to a damn sequel. Sequel-itis has been prevalent for far too long. It used to be the writers would have to think of clever ways of resurecting their monsters, now they decide to simply leave out a satisfactory conclusion.

Overall this is an okay film, nothing more.

3. shift

shift Hot as shit!

so it was not even enjoyable huh? :(

4. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Rent it.

5. aoiookami

it was enjoyable sure, just nothing special at all, and definately not worth the price of DVD imo, I'm very very glad I didnt buy it. This excerpt from Arrow's review summed up my feelings perfectly;
    "What sank CREEP for me was the revealing of the “baddie” in question at the halfway point. I don’t know what I was expecting but a yelping simpleton bitch wasn’t it. It surely didn’t help that once exposed, the film went on to show way too much of the squealing bastard; lessening my fear of it in the process. And what was up with that half assed and contrived “origin” story in regards to the villain? Either give us a logical background or don’t! This “hint-hint cause I don’t really know myself shtick didn’t work for me."

6. Agentsusp

Agentsusp Member

I was pretty dissapointed with this one as well. I took it that there were some weird "secret" underground experiements going on with babies (hence the nursery) and that "the creep" was one of the only survivors. He wasn't a doctor, etc.

I'll take "Raw Meat" over this one anyday.

7. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Having just watched "The Toolbox Murders" remake......

It's the same film - except set in a hotel, and the face mask is slightly different...... So now you've seen this, you've seen that - so maybe, if you haven't seen Toolbox, you can save yourself a dollar or two.

8. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Well if it's as bad as Toolbox, then I can skip this flick after all. Even considering both movies have actresses in them that I like.

Shame this one is getting bad reviews. I was looking forward to checking this one out. I still will in the end, but I won't be looking forward to it as much. :(

9. aoiookami

in that case you have definately saved me the time/money of seeing it, thanks
    as maskull said, too bad because I like both Potente and Bettis

10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Wow, and I wasn't even drinking. :eek1:

Here is what my post should have said:

"Having just watched "The Toolbox Murders" remake......

Toolbox is the same film - except set in a hotel, and the face mask is slightly different...... So if you've seen Toolbox, you've seen this - so maybe you can save yourself a dollar or two."

Congrats to maskull for figuring out what I was trying to say from that.. erm... mess :D

11. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I watched the DVD today, and I really liked the flick. The atmosphere is really good, and it had quite a few scares and gory moments. And the Creep was pretty cool looking, and I liked his screech. This is the Canadian DVD I watched, and there was an operating scene in it involving the homeless girl Mandy, dunno if this is the one that was cut, but it was fairly disturbing. I'd give it a 4 out of 5.

Um, you totally looked at that wrong.
    He wasn't the normal looking doctor in the photo, he was the deformed kid standing in front of the doctor in that picture.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2005
  12. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Is that a good thing?

13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Creep was a fairly good movie actually. Franka Potente never disappoints. The whole 'trapped in the subway system after closing' angle worked out rather well. The actor who played the Creep did a damned good job. There are several scenes that are truly grotesque...which is a good thing!

It's not a crown jewel or anything, but well worth a rental.

14. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

Anyone have the specs for the US DVD? I've heard that it's 1.85:1, while the UK disc is 2.35:1. Is it anamorphic? Is the audio 5.1DD? Is it a cut version?

I've been searching for reviews of the US disc, but I haven't found any yet.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

15. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

the lionsgate us disc features a slightly trimmed version of the film, however the scene that was cut is presented on the disc as a bonus feature. also, the r1 disc is presented 1:78.1 so i think it is a slightly open matte version of the film. i'd go for the r2 disc since it's uncut and in its correst aspect ratio

16. dwatts

dwatts New Member

What the hell did they find to cut in this turkey?

17. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

Thanks for the info. I've got the R2 UK DVD. I was planning on upgrading to the R1 DVD, since I've only got 1 region-free player and a couple R1 NTSC players that are better quality machines. But if it's cut and in the wrong aspect ratio I'll pass.

18. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Scenes involving Franka Potente attempting to avoid the Bad Subway Guy = Awesome

Scenes involving the Bad Subway Guy himself = Lame

Franka Potente's Bad Subway Dress = Really, Really Bad

That's all I got.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2005
  19. aoiookami

A good way of summing up how I felt about it.
    They should have taken the Alien angle on the bad guy and shown/given as little "background" of him as possible.....or make him not suck. either or.

20. shift

shift Hot as shit!

I just saw this as aoiookami said. I agree 100%

An upset