Creep, 2005 (2004?) Franka Potente

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by aoiookami, Aug 21, 2005.

1. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Wow I Loved This Movie Very Cool Creep Is Creepy Indeed

2. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I first saw this movie on my friend's R2 British DVD and liked it enough to purchase the R1 disc when Lionsgate released it. While it's true that the aspect ratio is different (1:78.1 compared to 2:35.1), this is the same cut of the film as the one on the R2 disc. The deleted scene wasn't in the R2 cut and isn't even available on the disc as a bonus feature. So, I guess it's a toss up between the correct aspect ratio (the 1:78.1 is more than likely an open matte so you probably get more info, but probably not info that the director intended) and an extra deleted scene. See DVD Compare (http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=7541) for more info.

3. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

anyone have any info on the R3 disc?

4. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I got a chance to check this out last night. It was definitely better then I thought it was going to be. I liked the concept behind being locked in the London underground over night, as it adding to desired feel of isolation that I’m sure the Director was trying to get across. Franka Potente always adds something positive to a film IMO and the overall acting in the film wasn’t bad. The creature kind of reminded me of the ones the Descent but it was never distracting. It has some nice tense moments. Overall an above average horror film.

5. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I just got this on Friday from Zip and will be watching it tonight. Just thought I'd mention it. I'm very helpfull.

6. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

actually i found the same deleted scene from the R1 disc on the R2 disc, however it is an easter egg. i found it while searching throught the titles. i dunno about the R1 being cut anymore, the imdb says the US version is cut but doesn't say what, but then again that could be false information. the R2 disc does feature some trailers and tv spots for creep. so either way i guess the R1 or R2 are both good to go despite the R1's slightly open matte presentation

7. Spitfire

Spitfire Suspiria

Just saw this, and I thought it was pretty good.

The first half was very atmospheric and quite suspenseful; the setting is top notch.

The creep was demented looking, and disturbing, though very skinny and could be overpowered if you try. It does hit a couple of low points when we see too much of him towards the end, nonetheless for a horror flick it has enough kick to check out or purchase.

Oh, and that scene in the operating table was so disturbing.

All in all, I liked it.

I'd give it a 6/10. Worth checking out.

As to the Creep himself, It appears that he was one of the experimental breeds of kids that was raised by one of the doctors in that place. Obviously, he went crazy and would later mimic the things that he would see in the operating table scene. :eek2: That was my impression by seeing the "Nursery" and the "Pics". (so i disagree that he was the doctor, as some have mentioned)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  8. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

All right I finally watched this. Up until Franka (Kate) gets captured, it was a decent movie but after that it just bored me/annoyed me. I didn't even mind the Creep's look though that scream got old pretty quickly. I just think they didn't need to show him so early in the movie and then so often. The second half of the flick I think they showed more of him then they did of Franka.

Another part of my problem was that Franka's character seemed so weak to me, the helpless woman who stands around screaming when she could be running/whacking the baddie when he's fighting someone else/doing anything at all constructive. I ended up not really giving a damn about anyone in the movie. Hell, the most likeable characters were the drug addicts and their dog. Everyone else was just so stupid/shallow/illogical.

As I said, the build up wasn't bad but the pay off just wasn't there at all. A waste of a cool location and Franka.

9. Mattster

Mattster Guest

I agree with 1x1. I liked the concept... the photography... the music... Franka.

But... it was a little hard to believe... even for a movie like that. It would have been more interesting if they'd gone with the
    female mutant instead with more subtle makeup

10. killit

killit Active Member

I thought it was well done

And I was creeped out. Region 1 is uncut, the transfer is nice and the disc is nice, great menus. I'm really shocked some of you guys dislike it so much. It;s much better than the toolbox murders. It's actually quite good.

11. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

this one person over at imdb says they compared a certain scene from both the R1 and R2 dvd's and according to them, the R1 DVD is cut.
    http://imdb.com/title/tt0381966/board/thread/36919036?d=36926957#36926957

12. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Loved it, thought it was both gory and suspenseful. I would recommend it.

13. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

same here

14. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

OK, finally got my hands on the R1 Lions Gate disc. Their version is definately trimmed, and where it is cut it's pretty noticeable.
    the death of the security guard is edited, the R1 disc does not show the close up of his slashed open throat. The death of the Creep in the end is also cut. It does not show the second close up of the hook and chain ripping out his throat. the scene with the man getting his head rammed onto the metal rod sticking out of the wall seemed to be missing a few frames as well.

15. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

so what were the baby experiments? mixing human DNA with rat pheromones?? :lol:

the fact that the rats kept appearing whenever he was about to strike in the first part of the movie was never really explained...

16. Dave

Dave Pimp

Good flick! Saw it for the first time on Monsters HD.