Creepy & Eerie comics

Discussion in 'General' started by satans-sadists, Feb 26, 2007.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I doubt they'll bother with archiving the entire run, mainly because the quality dropped in later years and they began reprinting older stories. I bought Issues #1 and #2 together for about $25 around 10 years back and was surprised with the number of stores in those mags I had already read.

2. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Regarding the Absolutes (which I love), I think you are overestimating the Absolutes in terms of # of pages. They are usually 12 issues of 22-page comics (+ covers) + extras.

Recent & upcoming releases (in approx. the same time period as the Creepy Archives):

Absolute Promethea: $99, 328 pages; Absolute V for Vendetta: $99, 296 pages, Absolute Death: $99, 360 pages. Of the recent releases (or NYPs), the only ones I can find close to 500-600 pages are: Absolute Justice: $99, 496 pages, and the Sandman editions, which are $99, 600 pages (and, to be fair, I think the Sandmans are the exception to the format. They set an incredible standard, even for the Absolutes). Yes, you get color and a slipcase w/ the Absolutes, but they are double the price.

While I do love the Absolutes, take a look @ the Absolute Dark Knight--which had inferior paper to the Creepy archives--or Absolute LOEG: Black Dossier--which contained no extras at all and was of inferior printing. Absolute Superman: For Tomorrow also had thin pages.

TP collections are typically 5-7 issues, and I'm not seeing many for $12 that are not introductory editions. Again, these are not the same trim size or page count as the Creepy Archives.

Marvel Essentials are getting the price bump to $19.99, starting with Essential Uncanny X-Men Vol. 9, and are printed on newsprint. To compare the Essentials to the Creepy Archives.... :eek: Dark Horse is reprinting them according to their original magazine format but with heightened quality. Do I wish they were $15? Sure. Would I prefer an inferior treatment to achieve this price point? No way.

If they are out of your budget, I completely understand. But I don't understand the complaint about the quality for the price. To me, as a collector, it's worth it (especially at a discount) for the package.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  3. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

Probably about 5-6 years ago I completed my runs of Creepy and Eerie and am glad to have all of the original issues..these are my favorite comic series of all time. As time goes by I will probably get rid of most all of my comics, but I will never part with these classic magazines. Not only do they bring back so many memories of my youth, but the stories still hold up today and stand head and shoulders above any other horror comics that have ever been done. I admit the EC comics are also incredible, but I know I will never be able to compile a complete collection of those. I do have about 10 or so between copies of Haunt, Tales, and Vault. They sure as hell don't make them like they used to in regards to horror comics! I will probably pick up the new Creepy at least for the first issue or two, but I'm not holding out hopes for much despite the presence of Torres and Wrightson. I'm pretty sure it's going to be in comic size format and not a magazine, which is a big strike against it right off the bat.

4. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I just finished reading Creepy Archives Volume 1. I was lucky in that my public library had it!! I hope they get in future volumes as I'd love to own them, but can't see paying that price for each volume!

5. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

I have a couple TPB collections of Creepy (the best being Harris' "Creepy : The Classic Years") and 5 of the "EC Archives" HC coffee table books, and they were all well worth the price (I actually picked up my EC Archives from a local comic book shop a few years back for 35 bucks a piece).

That said, I also have Marvel's recent "Zombie" and both volumes of DC's "House of Mystery" "phone book" style TPBs, and, honestly, the cheap print quality is a big problem.

Sadly, they're probably the best we'll ever get because, seriously, the demand for them isn't there. EC comics are a part of history, and had a successful TV show and feature films, so they get the "full quality" treatment. 2nd gen books like Creepy, Eerie, House of Mystery, etc., are a bit more under the radar, and therefore only get budget releases.

6. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

you mean aside from the deluxe editions I posted above.

7. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Picked up Issue #1 of the new Creepy series today. Looks great in B&W--nice paper stock. I'm saving it for my vacation later this month.

Only bummer: it's a regular-sized comic for $4.99, not a magazine.

8. Slackjaw83

4 issues a piece is nice, but seriously hardly what I consider a "deluxe release", especially in the world of the HC Omnibus, the HC Absolute edition, The HC Archive edition, etc etc etc. An average of 240 pages is pretty nice, but, honestly, I'd personally prefer more story and less ads (even vintage ones). While those releases are nice, don't get me wrong, they could be MUCH better (and, obviously, much worse, a la "House of Mystery")

Are those editions magazine-sized? That would actually be a nice selling point if they are

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  9. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

5 issues/240 pages/Magazine-sized/hardcover, including all original letter columns and ads.

10. Slackjaw83

Like I said, I personally am less into the ad/letters pages, and would gladly trade those pages for more story. Still, Magazine size is a big selling point, as every TPB I have of them has been reduced to comic sized.

11. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Not what I was hoping for, unfortunately. First story was really fun, but that was about it. Will not pick up issue #2, unless I hear better things.

12. maybrick

I'm anxiously awaiting Volumes 1 of Creepy and Eerie in the mail. I thought I only owned issues #1 and 2 of Creepy but it turns out I already have #4 as well. Oh well, at least I won't have to get any more fingerprints on them from now on. I don't own any issues of Eerie prior to the mid 20s so I'm looking forward more to that. (although, again, issue#1 was an ashcan copy of reprints taken from the very first issues of Creepy. But at least it has some intrinsic historic value as it's become legendary.) These Archives are getting released far faster than I could ever hope to keep up so it remains to be seen how many I'll ever buy. The first 3 volumes of Creepy and the first 2 of Eerie, probably. Beyond that I don't know. There was a dark period in the late 60s where Warren published mainly reprints mixed with subpar new material and didn't return to form until what I estimate to be around Creepy Archive Volume 7. As much as I'd want these in order, for the asking price I'd have to demand the most bang for my buck.

But to argue an earlier point, the peripheral materials such as ads and letter columns are absolutely essential to the personality of the magazine as a whole. As a lifelong reader of these magazines it just wouldn't be the same experience without them. It'd be exactly like watching DEATH PROOF and PLANET TERROR instead of GRINDHOUSE. Which would you rather have in your collection?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  13. maybrick

My books arrived via UPS this morning. Man, they suck. UPS, I mean. Anyways, very nice presentation. I can't wait until I have time to sit down and start reading them. :)

14. maybrick

Okay, now that I've had a chance to open the books out of the plastic and compare what is represented to the original issues I own of Creepy #1 and 2 I want to clear up an apparent fallacy that has become rather widespread. While I have no doubt that the ads in the archives originally were published in Creepy Magazine at some point, the fact is that not only were the ads in the originals totally different, but there were more of them as well. Also, the back covers, both inside and out, haven't been reproduced. Don't mistake this to mean that I'm disappointed in my purchase. Not in the slightest. But to read the misconception over and over again on multiple sites that the Archives hold complete reproductions of the originals is a bit disconcerting. Apparently for too many reviewers these Archives are their first real "hands on" experience with these classics and couldn't do much else other than to parrot the press releases.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  15. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

the ads now, in the archives, all seem to be, at a glance, from "Captain Company," which I take to be someone/entity who has agreed to let the original ads run in the new dark horse archives. or maybe they are public domain? Can a new publisher reprint the entirety of a previous publisher's work, including ads--carte blanche, or do the ads also have to have permissions granted? I have no idea.

for example, i'm looking at Creepy Vol. 5 and the only ads seem to be from this Captain Company or else the advertisement owner has been removed. They're cool and kitschy, but they do seem to repeat. I'm far more interested in the letters pages, but again, there may be discrepancies there too. I'll leave it to maybrick to do the exhaustive side-by-side comparisons on those.

16. maybrick

Captain Company is run/owned by Warren. It's just what he decided to call the leg of his operation that deals with merchandise/fan club stuff they sell directly to the readers. Don't ask me why he named it that. All of the other ads that are missing are also Warren Publications related, such as promoting fan clubs or subscriptions. If these are all represented elsewhere in the Archive I don't know as of yet, but they're definitely out of order if they are.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  17. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

there are Cousin Eerie Amateur Fan Club ads in Vol. 5, the only one I have in front of me at the moment.

Are you saying that all the ads in the original Creepy & Eerie comics were by Warren Publications?

18. maybrick

I can double check for ya in the few that I have when I get a chance.

19. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I'd be really curious. Sometimes I forgot what the ads looked like on these v. the Tales from the Crypt comics.

In any case, if I misled anyone on the advertisement reproductions, I apologize.

20. maybrick

From Creepy #1:

Pg 22-23: (between "Vampires Fly At Dusk" and "Werewolf") 2 page ad for another Warren Publication, "Monster World".

Pg 36: (just before "The Success Story") Capt. Co ads for a "Magnajector", Rodan in 8mm, Revenge of Frankenstein in 8mm, and a replica of a human skull

Pg 43: an ad for a Warren special publication devoted to the film "The Mole People"
    Pg 44: (just before "Pursuit of the Vampire") More Captain Co ads. Miniature Germanium Radio, 10' inflatable snake, Phantom of the Opera in both 8mm and 16mm, Miniature Spy Camera, and Venus Fly Traps.

And that's all of them. There isn't a single advertisement anywhere to be seen from an outside source. Compared to modern magazines the early Warren Mags certainly don't seem to be very ad heavy!