Crinoline Head on DVD!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by horrorscreamer, Aug 28, 2013.

1. horrorscreamer

horrorscreamer Member

2. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Never heard of this one - anyone seen it that can verify if its any good?

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I've never heard of it either, but the trailer on YouTube looks promising.

4. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I've seen the VHS before...but never watched the flick. It looks like late 90s dreck.

5. Vortex

Vortex Member

Good to know. I saw a story on this one in a Fangoria in the late 90's and was always curious about it.

6. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Is this some cheapo DVD-r crapolla or pressed disc?

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Always been curious about this one. I think I might pick up this and Generation Ax next billing cycle.

8. CPT HOOK

horrorscreamer, did you receive yours yet? I'm curious about the specs (DVD, DVD-R, etc).

I ordered Crinoline Head yesterday. If I like it, I'll probably spring for Generation Ax.

9. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

This used to be heavily promoted (VHS order ads) in almost every Fangoria back in the day. This didn't appeal to me back then, but after watching the Trailer I'd say I'm interested now.

10. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Hmmm, looks like cheap doo doo to me, but I bet it has some entertainment value. Love to hear what you guys think after watching it. I noticed the VHS for sale on eBay a while back for like $100 or something - pffft.

11. Katatonia

I ordered Crinoline Head from Amazon last week, but had to send it back because the disc was defective. I totally forgot to post my experience here...

It comes sealed, but it is a DVD-R.

I tried playing the disc in 3 different players, and it wouldn't play correctly in any of them. It loaded and played a trailer, and then... nothing. No menu, no movie... it just spinned around and made odd noises, and then either stopped or locked up in the player. I have no idea if they're all defective like that or what, but I'm not trying it again.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  12. CPT HOOK

^ Yikes! Mine is direct from the filmmakers. Hopefully I don't go through the same trouble you did. I'll report back when I receive mine.

However, even if I do like Crinoline Head, I'll probably skip Generation Ax now. $19.95 is way too much for a DVD-R. We'll see...

13. horrorscreamer

horrorscreamer Member

I received it last week, here is a quick review of the DVD-R;

Extras:
    Crinoline Head Trailer.
    Music Video.
    Making Of - a 17 minute featurette on the making of Crinoline Head.

Video:
    This was obviously shot in open matte as it looks better when you zoom it to 16:9 but it's presented here in its OAR which is around 1.66:1. The video quality is, unfortunately, not as good as I had hoped. Considering that this was shot on film it should be looking better than it is, it almost looks as if they've used a video master. Don't get me wrong, it's certainly better than VHS quality but not by much.

Audio:
    The audio is just fine for the kind of movie this is, it's an LPCM Stereo track.

14. CPT HOOK

Watched mine tonight. I thought it was absolutely hilarious in a bad movie sorta way. Anyone here who enjoys movies like Jack-O, Hauntedween, or Night Brings Charlie will probably get a kick out of it. It's basically a slasher film with those production values and a cast straight out of a John Waters film.

It is a burnt DVD-R and mine played fine. However, they did screw up when they made the menu. The menu is static, however instead of using an image for the menu they used a video of the image that lasts a fraction of a second. So basically, the menu loops every fraction of a second. You need to have quick fingers if you want to play the movie or watch the extra features. horrorscreamer covered the extras, but there's also a trailer for Crinoline Head 2 that plays before the menu.

15. Katatonia

Yup, my disc played that... and then nothing. It never went to any kind of menu in all three players I tried it on. It just either locked up, automatically stopped or ejected the disc. I tried cycling through all the index numbers on the remotes, and also nothing.

Good top hear your copy was okay though. I'd still really like to see the film, but it's probably safer just renting the VOD on Amazon this time around.