Criterion 2017 Clues

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Dec 31, 2016.

1. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Holy sweet goddamn, Barry Lyndon! Finally!

(now they just need to grab Lolita)

buck135 likes this.
  2. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

[​IMG]

https://www.criterion.com/films/29237-twin-peaks-fire-walk-with-me

[​IMG]

https://www.criterion.com/films/29008-barry-lyndon

[​IMG]

https://www.criterion.com/films/29061-the-lure

[​IMG]

https://www.criterion.com/films/29252-personal-shopper

[​IMG]

https://www.criterion.com/films/661-vampyr

buck135 likes this.
  3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Barry Lyndon at 1.66:1 finally! I wonder if they got that by dangling a 5.1 soundtrack in front of Leon Vitali (which people can more easily ignore).

I think I want them all. I'll have to see The Lure and Personal Shopper first. But the others are absolute buys for me along with the delayed Othello.

Criterion has made statements before that they don't consider the season when they make their release schedule. Just that when it's done, it gets a release. So no NotLD in time for October. Although.... That's pretty precinct timing on Vampyr utilizing materials available for almost two decades. ;)

4. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Barry Lyndon and Othello for me. In my opinion Eyes Wide Shut is more deserving for a restoration, but I can't complain. Warner obviously wasn't going to do this.

5. zbinks

I have a feeling Criterion is going after ALL of the Warner Kubrick films, big and small.

Hatchetwarrior likes this.
  6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

7. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

God, I hope so. I would love to see "Clockwork Orange" and "The Shining" get the Criterion treatment.

8. zbinks

I don't think the previous release was sourced from a 4K master, but I could be wrong. This has a lossless 2.0 track, which the original didn't. There are a bunch of extras from the previous release that seemingly aren't being ported over (
    Between Two Worlds (HD, 38 minutes), Moving Through Time: Fire Walk with Me Memories (HD, 30 minutes), Reflections on the Phenomenon of Twin Peaks (SD, 31 minutes), Atmospherics (HD, 13 minutes), Trailers (HD/SD, 5 minutes), and Fire Walk with Me Photo Gallery (HD)
    ), but this has a new interview with Sheryl Lee and whatever will fall under "More!"

9. zbinks

10. zbinks

Sooooo.... it looks like this is going to be happening at some point in the future...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Courtesy: https://www.starz.com

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Wait... Holy shit you're not joking? If you do a search on Starz.com (the media conglomerate) of any of these titles those pictures are exactly what comes up!

11/16/2017 on STARZ ENCORE Action HD
    Available now on STARZ ENCORE On Demand

Along with full film details!

There's been rumors for over a decade now of a possible Criterion box set. I always took it half jokingly. Not that Criterion would hold their nose up to such an idea, but it still seemed unlikely. Will have to see what shakes out!

zbinks likes this.
  12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

They (Criterion) released the Lone Wolf and Cub series as a box set on Blu, so they're clearly fine with Japanese pulp cinema. No reason they wouldn't do Kaiju films as well.

(by the way, I was just remembering this week how Criterion once put out the definitive edition of Halloween on laserdisc, at a price of $99.99, no less. How times have changed!)

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Hey, does anyone do the "My Criterion" thing on their website? You list the Criterion titles you own, the ones you want, etc. For your personal profile, you can select your favorite director, favorite Criterion title, and the one movie you want in the collection. I doubt it has an iota of impact on what movies Criterion acquires, but I was curious as to what other people listed. I had Hell Night on there (a long shot, I know, as Criterion hasn't really delved into American low budget horror as a genre, other than Halloween and that was a LONG time ago) but took it down after the Shout announcement. I've changed it to Urgh! A Music War.

Wondering what other people put. Only list it if you actually have it on your Criterion profile (so I don't get people posting a list of 20 films they want Criterion to do)

14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Nothing new but the fact that August Ragone shared the following means this isn't just some fevered dream:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155853077353185&set=a.118214888184.112427.712198184&type=3

If Criterion throws their two cents into 4k restorations by Toho we may not have to fret after all!

Criterion's gotten a bit of a snooty reputation the past decade or so, but this was during the DVD hay days when there was much more competition over titles. If you go back to their LD days they'd encompass a larger swath of films including King Kong, the first film to get a commentary track which Criterion provided!

The way the physical media industry is restructuring itself to combat streaming is shaping up to be more and more like the LD days when distributors competed with each other more with exclusive extras than with exclusive titles; sometimes competing for shelf space on the same titles. That's a larger pool available for Criterion to pull from and I doubt Godzilla will be the last we'll see of Criterion wading in a more populist pool of titles.

15. zbinks

Criterion has worked extensively with both Universal and Sony before, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them pick up licenses for both King Kong vs. Godzilla and Mothra, in the meantime.

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Barely worth mentioning, but Godzilla-Movies.com squeezed a quote outta Criterion on their unpublished streaming release:
    http://www.godzilla-movies.com/news/criterionjanus-films-obtain-showa-godzilla-titles

It's very possible we'll get the Universal/Sony titles in a boxset as well (Rifftrax licensed Mothra last year, so it must be pretty cheap from Sony). I rather doubt we'll get the Kraken releases, but then again they are somewhat limited in time. If they expire in time Criterion might be willing to pay up for them now (if they ever tried before now).

Works well for me since for some bizarre reason, year after year, my family has never bought me the King Kong Vs. Godzilla Blu-ray as a gift from my wish list! Although they bought me King Kong Escapes! I mean, what outsider is going to weight these two titles and pick KKE? Even still, once that choice was made, continue to skip KKvG birthday after Christmas, year after year? The gods must of interfered to save them the $7.88 it would otherwise have cost them. :D

Speaking of which... I probably should remove it from said list just in case this Christmas is it!

17. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Throw in ALL the Showza Godzilla films PLUS Rodan and Mothra and all known English dubs and cuts and it's a deal! :)

18. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Are those the finished cover art?
    I wish they would go for the original poster art instead. Simple screenshots from the movie just looks ugly and lazy.

I hope they make new 4K transfers.
    The old HD transfers, used so far, on both HDTV and Blu-Ray, have been really soft and mostly look like upscales, as there are no finedetails in the image, even on the films from the 2000:s.
    Also the colors and black levels are washed out.
    Especially compared to the old Gamera films, that look amazing on Blu-Ray.

19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I don't think those will be the final covers, but neither do I think they'll throw a lot of money at 12 unique covers. And Criterion don't do theatrical posters (or reversible covers). Instead I would anticipate something akin to their boxsets (which may not have "cover" art per title): http://screenanarchy.com/2013/12/pretty-packaging-criterions-27-disc-zatoichi-boxset-gallery.html

Criterion rarely does boxsets AND individual releases. So I'm expecting at least a 13-disc boxset with the original Gojira release. Rodan and Gargantuas would be thrown in too; I wouldn't think they'd give them their own lone release. That's it.

Sony's Mothra and Universal's King Kong vs. Godzilla seem possible (somehow King Kong Escapes doesn't, but maybe Universal would package it). But not required. If Criterion can't work something out cheaply and easily they'll forego them. They're not going to sit on 12 titles trying to appease Sony or Universal. And Sony/Universal knows this and respects them so I imagine something quick and easy can be worked out. The upcoming new movies are worth taking into consideration though. Sony/Universal may see it as money left on the table to cut a deal with Criterion. On the other hand they might also feel they're leaving money on the table if they don't take every serious offer they can during this small window of opportunity. :confused: So I doubt it will be an exclusive license and I doubt Criterion cares (the value is the whole boxset under Criterion's brand. Not any individual title; and they've locked up these 12 which is the bulk of the product).

Mothra's a high want I imagine. It's widely considered one of the best kaiju films. While also being of little market value in the grand scheme of Godzilla fever right now. I can't see Sony putting up much of a fight. They haven't even bothered with a Blu-ray release. But I can see Criterion eyeing it.

The two KK titles not so much. There already are Blu-ray releases widely circulated in retail and in terms of restoration possibilities good materials for the International cut of KKvG do not exists (they were notoriously junked). So there's not much for Criterion to do in their wheel house. And with both franchises heating up Universal may not be so accommodating. KKE is something of an after thought I'd imagine. If there's no real room for growth with KKvG you're not going to pay double just to get the mostly forgotten KKE. Mind you, KKE is a favorite of mine. But I'm being realistic here; not even many kaiju and/or KK fans much like it.

I see this streaming release as Criterion seeking quick cash as a down payment on a boxset. And since Criterion's not one to play around much I anticipate that to mean 4k restorations. But since Toho has been known to only agree to full control of past restorations (with mixed results) I am left wondering what Criterion's involvement would be. And what they need the influx of cash for. Might not even be Godzilla related! When money's liquid it can go to a lot of places. A lot of places...

20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Not that there was any serious doubts, but Godzilla-Movies.com squeezed out an official confirmation of a DVD/Blu-ray release from Criterion:
    http://www.godzilla-movies.com/news...tends-release-showa-godzilla-films-dvdblu-ray

In the meantime we'll have NotLD to keep us content; alternating in the work-print now and again. ;)

buck135 likes this.