Criterion 50% Off Sale: Barnes&Noble

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by CPT HOOK, Jul 13, 2010.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I didn't see another thread for this, but Criterion blu-rays are currently 50% off at Barnes & Noble. The sale goes through August 1st. Available in-store and online.

Free shipping on orders over $25.

There are also several coupon codes available. No membership is required. Each coupon code can only be used one time per account. Also, discounts apply only to the highest price item in your cart.

20% off your first purchase with a new account:
    U8K3U4A

15% off:
    W3P3V9Y
    F7H7T9P

10% off:
    P7F4N3P
    P4P7C3D
    R3F8L4T
    H4B7E9X
    D9D7T7H
    D8F9A8F
    X8K3T8V

Be aware, most of these coupon codes expire on July 19th, but a few of them are good until July 26th.

Enjoy!

2. rhett

rhett Administrator

Thanks for this - I have all the horror I want, but I've been waiting for an incentive to get Last Days of Disco.

3. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Criterion DVDs as well as blu-rays are 50% off.
    And if you happen to live in Denver stop by my store, we've got all of the recently OOP titles available :)

4. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Heh...I do not understand how that film is part of the Criterion Collection. I thought it was fucking awful. It doesn't even LOOK like it takes place in the early '80s. Isn't Last Days supposed to be the last part of some trilogy by Stillman that included Metropolitan and Barcelona. Loved Metropolitan, though.

Anyway yeah, I'm all over this sale. I shouldn't be buying crap, but with 50% off plus these other discounts, hell yes.

~Matt

5. CPT HOOK

Placed 2 orders so far, already used both of my 15% coupons. I'm sure I will have a few more orders in before the sale ends.

I really want to get Walkabout, but I've read that the blu-ray was defective and recalled.

I also want Last Year At Marienbad, but it comes in one of those flimsy cardboard cases. You have to pay an additional $5 for the actual case. Seems like a ridiculous reason to not buy a movie, I know. But my 400 Blows blu-ray is in one of the cardboard cases, and I don't like it. There is no top or bottom to the case, so it is easy for dust to get in.

6. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I'm still debating whether to get the Yojimbo/Sanjuro set. I'm trying to save money so I might have to pass it up.

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I generally also use some of the library/affiliate links at Barnes & Noble to get an extra 6-10% off on top of the coupon discounts.

I'm still debating if I really need any more Criterions right now...

8. Uncle Jay

Uncle Jay Member

Thanks for the heads up! As soon as I read this, I jumped in the car and zoomed over to B&N.

Very nice, indeed. Made out like a bandit, with my extra 10% members card.

-UJ

9. Mr.G

Mr.G Member

What Criterion must have horrors are essential?

10. Uncle Jay

Uncle Jay Member

There really isn't that many. Criterion mostly consists of avant-garde foreign films and art-house fare. These are the only horror-esque films, and as you can see very few of these are straight-forward horror.

"The Blob"
    "Blood for Dracula"
    "Carnival of Souls"
    "Clean, Shaven"
    "Dead Ringers"
    "Equinox"
    "Fiend Without Face"
    "Flesh for Frankenstein"
    "Häxan"
    "The Honeymoon Killers"
    "Man Bites Dog"
    "The Silence of the Lambs"
    "Sisters"
    "Vampyr"
    "The Vanishing"
    "Videodrome"

-UJ

11. rhett

rhett Administrator

Yeah, it's in there because Criterion did Metropolitan and is part of a thematic trilogy. Makes sense to me. Don't know how you couldn't like it if you dug Metro...the characters are all so richly detailed and their dialogue is so rich and pointed in embodying the language and pervasive ideas of the eighties. Chloe and Kate are adorable in that movie, and it's wall to wall with great disco tunes that aren't played out on disco compilations or Grand Theft Auto games. I wish ol' Whit would send a little more of his insight our way with another film sometime soon.

12. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I think the fun might be over as far as applying the coupon codes on top of the Criterion 50% off sale. It wouldn't accept any of the codes for the Yojimbo/Sanjuro blu-ray set. And every Criterion disc appears to have the following disclaimer now:

This item does not qualify for coupons or promotional discounts unless expressly stated.

Bummer.

13. rhett

rhett Administrator

Don't forget Eyes without a Face, probably one of the most beautiful and underrated horror flicks from the sixties. It has a disturbing but artful documentary on slaughterhouses, too. Salo certainly deserves mention, since it's probably more horrific than, well, virtually anything, ha! White Dog has some horror elements in dealing with racism and is a must see for Sam Fuller fans. Repulsion is another, and The Spirit of the Beehive features and plays upon James Whale's Frankenstein in the odyssey of a disturbed little girl. The Virgin Spring is what Last House on the Left is based on and Kwaidan is a pretty sublime Japanese ghost story anthology.

Of course, there's that awesome Karloff set, Monsters and Madmen, which has two horror and two horror/sci-fi flicks.

14. CPT HOOK

There's also Eyes Without A Face, Peeping Tom, Repulsion, and Diabolique, all four of which I would highly recommend. Repulsion is on blu-ray as well.

It is not a horror movie, but the last 5 minutes of Fat Girl scared the crap out of me. :eek:

15. CPT HOOK

Rhett's response wasn't there when I started mine, but he is right on the mark with Eyes Without A Face.

16. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Don't forget Picnic at Hanging Rock!

17. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Those coupon codes don't work in conjunction with the Criterion sale. (Is there any way of them working?)

I just made an account and I want to take advantage of that first order with a new account gets 20% off deal. Guess I can't do it with a Criterion...

~Matt

18. Bluenoser

Bluenoser New Member

None of the codes worked for me either. It seems they put a note on all the Criterion titles saying that codes couldn't be used.

19. Undeadcow

Undeadcow New Member

...plus Onibaba and Empire of Passion are horror tinted Criterion Collection releases. Both are atmospheric but slow and focus more on human drama. I own and have enjoyed both (especially Onibaba). The imagery in Empire of Passion is said to have influenced The Ring j-horror series.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010