Critters

Discussion in 'General' started by rhett, Apr 21, 2001.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

I just watched this great little movie yesterday after not having seen it for awhile. The movie is a great blend of horror, sci-fi and comedy, and I don't know why more people don't talk about it. This was one of New Line's earlier efforts and I wish they would do to the Critter 'saga' what they did for NOES on DVD. Am I alone here, or did anyone else enjoy the first film?

2. Funktion

Funktion Member

Yep, fun stuff indead!!!

I would love to have the full "Critters saga" on a nice box set with extras, but let's face it: if we get a dvd release at all it won't be that way (at least not as the NOES box set).

3. Vdlman

Vdlman Guest

I only saw the first one. It's certainly a fun flick. I wouldn't mind seeing it on DVD either.

4. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

rhett, you're not alone. I wouldn't mind having the first one on DVD. Didn't care for the sequels.

5. David666

David666 Guest

I loved the first Critters! So much fun. I have not seen any sequels, how many are there?

Yes, I would most certainly add Critters to my DVD collection. I hope ther are plans.

6. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Three sequels at the last count. IMO, each one worse than the last.

7. rhett

rhett Administrator

I thought 2 and 3 were very good sequels, but I thought Part 4 was a total dog. Yuk. Who can forget Part 3, it features Leonardo DiCaprio in one of his feature film debuts! Part 2 has some real neat parts, and is a pretty good companion to the original. Part 3 takes place in an apartment, and it is actually pretty fun, although nothing like the other 2 really. Great films though, I don't see why New Line hasn't at least released the first on DVD! Come on, it has Billy Zane! ;)

8. Hell yes a DVD edition is needed. This is one of the movies that got me started in horror at a young age. I was sooo excited when my sister and I watched this one. How could anyone forget it?

9. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I was surprised not to see more love for these flicks on this forum. I apologize if I didn't find any newer threads via the search engine.

It's been years since I've seen the Critters flicks and I bought the 4 pack dvd a year or two on amazon around Halloween time for like 3-4 bucks. Had the house to myself this weekend, headed up to my 3rd floor man loft (for lack of a better word) and watched Critters and Critters 2 back to back. I had a blast! Movies have everything I love about the 80s, aside from gore. Entertaining, funny, just an all around good time.

I did have some sound issues with the dvds though. There were several parts where the sound would go silent for a second or two. Can be pretty frustrating at times, but luckily it never lasted too too long. Does anyone else own this set and have experienced the same problems? Are there other dvd issues for these flicks anywhere else? I'd certainly upgrade for the first two alone....... not that I'm complaining either.....a few silent moments here and there aint shit, seeing I got these for about $1 a flick including shipping.

"Important news? I'd put that right in between a pineapple quiche and a pimple on the ass" hahahahahahaha good times.

upload_2016-9-13_9-59-54.jpeg

10. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Active Member

I found 2 and 3 to at least be entertaining. Not a path on the first. But part 4 was awful.

11. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Still haven't seen 4 but that seems to be the general consensus.

Does anyone own parts 1 or 2, normal DVD? Are they the same disc as the pack I referenced above? Part 2 on VHS is on amazon for a reasonable price, I might scoop that this October.... cuz that's how I do.

12. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Active Member

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  13. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

14. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Angelman likes this.
  15. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Just what it says. A reissue of the DVDs. No Blu ray unfortunately.

16. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Got part 1 and 2 in HD rips, and they look mint. So I just don't understand why they don't release them on blu-ray. Unless someone is holding the transfers hostage and want an insane amount of money for them.

17. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Critters Blu box set would be an easy day one purchase. DVDs? No.

Workshed and Katatonia like this.
  18. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

One of the best deals I've ever come across was the Critters 4 film collection marked down to $4.99 at FYE a couple years ago. Wish these would get a Blu-ray upgrade and some real bonus features.

19. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Been waiting on a blu box set of these for a while. Looks like I've got to keep waiting. Hopefully someone like Arrow can get hold of at least the UK rights.

Katatonia likes this.
  20. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I cannot think about the original CRITTERS without remembering an incident at the theater when I saw a matinee. I went to see it with a buddy of mine in the afternoon. The audience was pretty sparse but a young black woman came in and sat beside us with her young son ,I would guess the kid was around five years old. He was very well behaved but I could see as the film progressed that he was getting nervous, I saw him slowly drawing his legs up to his chest during one of the more tense parts. A few minutes later I glance over and saw that the boy, oblivious to the fact that he was sitting next to a stranger, my friend, had nervously crawled into my pals lap and was just sitting there, his eyes wide, staring at the screen. My friend had an arm on he boys shoulder and glanced over at me with a bemused expression, slowly breaking out in a grin. I stiffled a laugh and turned back to the screen, grinning like an idiot. About 15 minutes later the boy crawled back in his own seat. I don't think his Mom ever noticed ! Even today the memory cracks me up !

x666x, baggio, Angelman and 6 others like this.