Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday The 13th 08/27/13

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Marv Inc., May 15, 2013.

1. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I got through the first bit of Part IV before stopping. Really enjoyable stuff so far, and man, how is Judie Aronson (Samantha from Part IV) still so hot? I think she looks better now than she did 30 years ago, how is that possible?

I'm looking forward to watching the rest, I actually like all of the movies in the series, especially the first 8, so I'm excited to see who else they've got involved with this thing.

2. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I stopped around Chapter IV as well. Amazing stuff so far and I absolutely agree about Aronson. She still looks damn good.

3. deepred

deepred Member

Mine should be there when I get home tonight. :banana:

Hopefully, the postman left it in my mailbox and not the leasing office. It's never fun when you get home and find out you have a package but can't get it till the next day.

4. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    A big thanks to all posters here who posted months ago about getting the signed Blu set - I ordered a few days too late BUT I just received the collectors signed Blu set! Thanks all who gave the heads up!

5. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Mine says shipping now, getting that and The Stepfather (original of course) blu ray from amazon.

6. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I haven't seen that one, but that's something I may have to rectify based on this one.

7. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

After watching the documentary, I really wanted to cockpunch Tom McLoughlin (VI) and Adam Marcus (JGTH) - Tom for introducing the supernatural elements that I hate (discover the rules that the ghosts (or whatever) live by so you can render them powerless and defeat them - it leads to very formulaic plots based on "logic" with holes that an 8th grader could drive a truck through) and the obvious references to other horror icons (Garris, Carpenter, etc.). I really think those elements dumb down a movie to the point of ruination. Plus I've always hated that Alice Cooper song, but I couldn't bring myself to punch Alice, so Toms gets his :)

Adam Marcus really just seemed to make a movie that was based around fanboyism rather than a real attempt to make a good movie - not that there's anything wrong with being a fan, but what a fan thinks is cool may differ from what makes a good movie good (see Peter Jackson's King Kong as another example of this gone wrong).

8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Here's my signed set (along with the signing list) from DD:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

No way. Tom McLoughlin paid tribute to classic horror in VI and even added a sense of humor to the Friday series. After the abortion that was "A New Beginning" you wanna punch Tom? Punch anyone affiliated with V, except the Vorhees actress with the nice rack :D

10. thing

thing Well-Known Member

mine just shipped :)

11. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Yeah, I get that he did some good things, but the tribute he paid was too obvious. When done well, tributes are cool (like in Evil Dead, with the ripped poster in the background - it's there to be noticed, but no real attention is brought to it), but when done too obviously (like with people saying the names out loud, drawing lots of attention to them) it's like being hit over the head with a mallet that screams "HEY I'M COOL AND LIKE WHAT YOU LIKE" which is just too much.

I usually like humor, and I'll have to watch the movie again - this impression is based just on the documentary - but I remember enjoying V more (though I went into it knowing that it wasn't really a Jason movie), and the Voorhees chick does have a nice rack (no disagreement there).

12. HrdcorECW1637

HrdcorECW1637 New Member

Is that insert with all the cast and crew put in there by Dark Delicacies? (I keep seeing these on eBay.) Wish I was making some of the money these sellers are making off of the blu!

13. Katatonia

Yes, the insert is from the Dark Delicacies signing. They included it inside the case.

Yeah, I'm amazed at what it's currently selling for on ebay. I'm almost tempted to sell mine...but I wanna keep it! :evil:

14. HrdcorECW1637

HrdcorECW1637 New Member

I really wish I would have stocked up on them. It's kinda outrageous what people are paying.

15. HrdcorECW1637

HrdcorECW1637 New Member

BTW, yours actually has Tracie Savage's signature on it! She wasn't there for the actual signing for the fans in line because she had to leave early (she did sign a bunch of copies for fans who weren't there). Yours might be worth more than the others!!!

16. HrdcorECW1637

HrdcorECW1637 New Member

Yeah, that's it.

Has anyone else listened to the commentary? Thoughts?

17. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I just watched part of the bonus disk, and it definitely comes across as unfinished. The video was ok, but the sound levels were all over the place, so that I was adjusting the volume almost every time it switched to a different person (often). It was annoying enough that I stopped watching it, but what I saw was interesting, and not really redundant with what's in the main doc.

18. Katatonia

:lol: Oops, I missed that you already said that above. :evil: I guess the mailorder copies are worth more than the people who got theirs at the store then!

19. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Mine only has 3 signatures as it was a left over. I got a sweet deal on it so no complaints here!!

[​IMG]

20. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

I kind of agree with you on that part. Jason Lives is my favorite of the series, but I don't find the nods to the horror genre quite as distracting as in other films (Eli Roth's Cabin Fever comes to mind). But when it comes to Adam Marcus, I couldn't agree more. His Fanboy levels are completely off the charts and it shows even more with his interview. 20 years later and he still hasn't learned a damn thing about movie making, especially when you look at what he's been attached to recently (Texas Chainsaw 3D... UGH!).

Side note: I think the Horror genre as a whole would benefit if more horror films were made by film makers instead of fan boys.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013