Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday The 13th 08/27/13

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Marv Inc., May 15, 2013.

1. Bluenoser

Bluenoser New Member

Got mine yesterday (w/ bonus disc). Looking forward to watching it this weekend.

2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I just finished this. It is wonderful. I have a question though. How is Judie Aronson even more gorgeous now than she was 30 years ago. My god, she hasn't aged a day.

3. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

i know what you mean... :eek:

4. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Agreed. I thought the girl from Part 2 (Can't remember her name, she was going after the wheelchair guy) looked better now as well. Actually, I thought a lot of the women from the first four movies still looked really good for the most part. Then you get to New Beginning and the main girl in that just looked really plastic and not very attractive.

5. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

That´s a real Barbie... was expecting a a limo and everything!

6. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I am just over halfway through this and really enjoying it so far. I feel Never Sleep Again was better paced and maybe even a little more entertaining, but I feel this film took a different approach and wanted to deliver as much info as possible instead of moving at a smooth pace. Either way it's the definitive Friday documentary that's for sure!

7. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

While good, I feel the same way you did about the Elm Street doc. I don´t know if that is because I already know much of the stories about Friday but this feels rushed.

And let´s be honest, I only saw the first disc, but has it covers the first 6 movies and the series, I feel many more time was spent with the rest of the series than with the original eight.

Maybe the bonus disc is where the true treasure is, giving us more insight about the first eight movies.

8. deepred

deepred Member

I think the Elm Street doc was more interesting as it's a more interesting series. With Elm Street, you get to see how the series built New Line and how they had so much on the line with the success or failure of the earlier entries, you have characters that were more developed as the casts were smaller (unlike one person who was interviewed for CLM where she got a machete through her on a motorcycle from Jason Lives - how much can that person say from being in a movie for 10 seconds?) , there are all the unique dream aspects and special effects to discuss for each entry, the Elm sequels had some pretty substantial directors and you have the perspective of the bogeyman himself throughout the entire doc unlike CLM where you have like 10 different Jasons. I also found the overall quality better on NSA. The stop motion animation recreations were really cool between the chapters and no one sounds like they are being recorded from a tin can (ahem ... Jeannine Taylor) on that doc.

That said, CLM is still a great doc but I think NSA had the advantage of having more interesting material to work with.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  9. RickMoe

RickMoe New Member

Yes it is... highly recommended.

10. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Just finished the doc and I enjoyed it. Even though I've read the book and watched all of the extended interviews on His Name Was Jason, I still liked seeing all of the best Friday information collected in one place. I didn't enjoy it as much as Never Sleep Again, even if I am a much bigger Jason fan than a Freddy one. As others have said, the pacing in CLM felt rushed and there wasn't a through line with the story like NSA had with the rise and fall of New Line. Even so, this is still one of my favorite releases of the year and I can't wait to listen to the commentary (the one on NSA was great) and dive into the bonus disc.

11. thing

thing Well-Known Member

12. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Mine (with bonus disc) finally arrived today. Can't wait to check it out, maybe some tonight!

13. thing

thing Well-Known Member

14. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

How so? I missed out on it and was wondering if the bonus disc was worth it.

15. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

From what I saw the bonus disc is way more fan oriented and not so superficial and generic as the main doc.

16. The Tall Man

The Tall Man Member

Just finished watching both discs. Thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish and learned a few things as well. I had no idea that part 7 was also known as "Frigay the 13th" due to the amount of gay actors on it !

17. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Having read the book Crystal Lake Memories cover to cover, there was not much insight left for anyone to talk about, with the exception of the remake. I liked this release of course(much better than the other "Jason" doc), but enjoyed reading the book more upon hearing all these stories the first time.

18. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Yeah. Friday 7 and Nightmare 2 would make a gay double feature.

19. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was reading the book at the same time I was watching the doc, so a majority of it is overlap. But it was fun to put a face to a name for the behind-the-scenes people.

It was funny, in Jason Takes Manhattan, the book talked about them replacing the actor who originally played Sean because they watched the dailies and he sounded "so gay" (their words, not mine). Then in the documentary, there he was (although in the documentary, nobody mentions why he was replaced).

20. Jack_Burton

Jack_Burton New Member

Awesome documentary. I also loved the bonus interviews (on the extra disc) and wish they would have used all of it in the documentary. Some great stuff in there.

Oh and did anyone else get the impression that Thom Matthews (Tommy Part 6) didn't wanna be there?