Cub (2014)

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Paff, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I didn't see a thread for this, but the title is too short for a search.

Anyway, this is a great horror film from Belgium I just watched tonight (based on a pretty positive review over at DVDTalk.com). A group of cub scouts go into the woods on a camping trip, in an area rumored to be the home of Kai, a boy werewolf. I have to admit, the concept didn't wow me, as I find very few werewolf films to be very interesting. It turns out though, that there's definitely an evil presence in the woods, but whether or not it's a werewolf is something I won't reveal here. Suffice it to say that after a pretty standard beginning, this film really kicks into high gear in the second half. There's one bit of cruelty I wish hadn't been included, it's the only stain on an otherwise remarkable film.

Netflix has the DVD (don't know if they have it streaming too), but there's also a Blu-Ray available that I'm gonna try to find. More extras on the Blu. But definitely a recommended film.

Katatonia likes this.
  2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I actually just blind-bought the Blu-ray the other week from Deep Discount on a sale, for $11. I'd been wanting to see it for a while, and that was a good price.

I thought the film was quite good, except the ending was a little bit of a let down. It's probably better to call Kai a "feral" child in the woods though... I didn't really see any hints of him or the presence in the woods being inferred as a werewolf, but that's just my take from watching the film.

I do agree about the cruelty scene, but I'm pretty sure that was fake/staged. You really don't see anything much on screen there actually, it's almost all inferred off screen and with sound.

...and Paff, the Blu-ray is well worth buying. The transfer is excellent and includes lossless audio. The extras aren't too much to brag about though: there's a short film titled "Of Cats & Women" that's a little disturbing (also has some questionable cruelty, but obviously fake), some brief deleted scenes, an FX reel, and the film's Trailer. There's really no "Making Of" extras included.

If you were ever in the cub scouts or boy scouts (I was), and went camping out with your troop, then there's much to enjoy here...even if it is a Belgium subtitled film.

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Well, my "werewolf" comment is based on the way the characters in the film refer to him at first according to the rumors and legends. I was kinda trying to not reveal his true nature in my mini-review. Not that it's a "spoiler", per se, but rather the way I went into the film.

The cruelty scene was faked of course (there's even the disclaimer at the end), I just don't like seeing it in a movie at all. It's one of those things that crosses the line for me.

As for the extras, that's more than what was on the DVD. The deleted scenes and FX reel are there, but the short film is not. I'd still get the Blu, for the better sound and picture quality and (this is a weird sticking point for me), much higher quality subtitle font.

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Well, yeah there's the urban legend part... and the Blu-ray's backcover Overview says "After encountering a feral young boy" though, so I don't think it really spoils anything there.

I would definitely recommend the Blu-ray Paff. The A/V quality is superb for a modern film. The short film is quite strange and memorable, but if you have pets you might also find it disturbing.

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I ordered it from DeepDiscount during their sale a few weeks back, but it's still backordered. Hurry up!

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Well, Deep Discount just refunded my order since it has been out of stock for so long. :(

Guess I'll have to wait for another price drop.

Also still waiting on my replacement from Artsploitation for Der Samurai. Mailed them my disc 2 weeks ago.

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

That sucks, Hook. It's a good movie, but not good enough to warrant all the hassle you're going through.