Cult of Chucky - Fall 2017

Discussion in 'General' started by Nailwraps, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

The 7th Chucky film (titles Cult of Chucky) will be unleashed on home video this fall and the synopsis sounds promising!:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3420107/new-childs-play-title-cult-of-chucky-teaser-trailer/

"Sorry jack, Chucky’s back…again.

I’ve been keeping very close tabs on the next installment in the Child’s Play franchise, which has been in pre-production for over a month under the moniker of Chucky 7. We’ve reported on a lot of the returning players – including writer-director Don Mancini – but nothing has been deemed “official”…until today!

Chucky, for the younger readers, is a serial killer (Charles Lee Ray, played by Brad Dourif) who transferred his soul into the body of a Good Guys Doll back in 1988’s Child’s Play.

The Child’s Play films have miraculously remained canon for nearly 30 years, with sequels including Child’s Play 2, Child’s Play 3, Bride of Chucky, Seed of Chucky, and the 2013 Curse of Chucky.

Next up…CULT OF CHUCKY.

Yes, the seventh Child’s Play, officially titled Cult of Chucky, will begin filming this coming Monday in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada!

Brad Dourif is confirmed to once again provide Chucky’s voice, while his daughter, Fiona, will be reprising her Curse role. Also returning are Summer H. Howell (Curse of Chucky), Jennifer Tilly (who became the popular female doll, Tiffany, in Bride of Chucky before transferred her soul into the body of actress Jennifer Tilly in Seed of Chucky) and Alex Vincent, star of the first two Child’s Play films who returned in a shocking post credits sequence in Curse. The film ended as if Mancini planned to tie the previous three filmsBride of Chucky, Seed of Chucky and Curse of Chucky – together in this seventh film.

Here’s the official synopsis that came attached to the below announcement trailer.

“Confined to an asylum for the criminally insane for the past four years, Nica Pierce (Fiona Dourif) is erroneously convinced that she, not Chucky, murdered her entire family. But when her psychiatrist introduces a new therapeutic “tool” to facilitate his patients’ group sessions — an all-too-familiar “Good Guy” doll with an innocently smiling face — a string of grisly deaths begins to plague the asylum, and Nica starts to wonder if maybe she isn’t crazy after all. Andy Barclay (Alex Vincent), Chucky’s now-grown-up nemesis from the original Child’s Play, races to Nica’s aid. But to save her he’ll have to get past Tiffany (Oscar-nominee Jennifer Tilly), Chucky’s long-ago bride, who will do anything, no matter how deadly or depraved, to help her beloved devil doll.”

Cult of Chucky, which takes place in an asylum, will be released in an unrated version on Blu-ray, DVD, and Digital HD this fall, in time for Halloween."

baggio, Zombie Dude and Natas like this.
  2. Natas

Natas Theres no such thing as the boogyman

Word the fuck up.

3. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

I didn't love the last two, but I'll always give Chucky a chance.

dave13 likes this.
  4. Natas

Seed of Chucky is almost unwatchable. I really disliked that movie a lot when I saw it in the theaters.

BUT.......I loved Curse! It was like a creepy haunted house flick.....with Chucky! I liked the fact they went with a more serious tone.

Buechlers_beard likes this.
  5. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I thought Curse was a big step up from Seed, but not on par with the best of the series. I do like they are going back to horror and each new film seems to take place in a classic genre setting (the old mansion in Curse, the Asylum in Cult). I really enjoy this series and am so happy it's still trucking forward under the original continuity.

Natas likes this.
  6. Natas

For sure. Agreed 100%.

At least we got ONE highly anticipated franchise flick to look forward to this Halloween season. Hopefully Mr. Voorhees will follow suit and we can watch a new chucky and jason movie this Halloween!

7. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Personally I thought Seed was a hilarious black comedy...

...but I am glad Mancini went back to the series horror roots because Curse rocked.

Can't wait for Cult.

Nailwraps likes this.
  8. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Active Member

I think the only "miss" in the series was Seed - and that seems to be the consensus - even though I enjoy seed it's not what I expected after Bride.

I simply love the fact that this nearly 30 year old series is still in canon, and it's producing (going by Curse anyway) solid straight to video sequels. I cannot understand why the producers of Elm Street and Friday the 13th etc don't just lay down a million on some dtv sequels. These movies don't need a 30 million dollar budget. Just some creativity and respect. Luckily we have that wih Mancini.

9. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Yeah not a fan of seed, enjoyed the rest with number 2 being my personal favourite, will be up for this.

10. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I thought Seed of Chucky was fucking hilarious.

11. Natas

You're not the first to suggest to me I need to give it another shot. I don't think I've seen it since the theaters which was 12-13 years ago now. I just remember the comedy being eye rolling worthy. And I'm a massive fan of Bride. I'll give Seed another shot soon.

I can go either way with parts 2 and 3 as personal favorites. Childs Play 3 really got me into the horror genre. I remember renting it like 6 weeks in a row with my father on Saturdays. I was 7 years old and it scared the bejesus out of me. I didn't see part 2 for another year or so. But part 2 is fucking awesome and probably has the best one liners from Chucky to date.

12. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I haven't really liked any of them since part 3. But at least Curse wasn't painful to watch, like the two that preceeded it. I didn't think it was nearly as good as many others did. But I'm down for another Child's Play movie. I wish they'd go back to calling them Child's Play, though. I assume there's some rights issue involved there. Hopefully they find a way to make Chucky look a little more like he did in the original trilogy.

13. MisterTwister

I thought Curse was a massive success considering its DTV nature. Mancini took the limited budget he had and used it very well. Sometimes the budget reared its ugly head (before the sitich reveal some shots of Chucky looked really off) but for me it was a surprisingly well done sequel with some awesome surprises (that end credits stinger...FUCK YES)

The only thing that bugged was the plot holes sprinkled throughout it (what happened to the video evidence of Chucky being alive? Why does Chucky suddenly not bleed anymore? He bled like a bitch in the previous 5 movies etc.) but a damn fine and fun sequel.

Can't wait for this Halloween!

14. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this. Love me some Chucky.

15. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I thoroughly enjoyed the last film and I'm not a big fan of this franchise.

16. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I can take the Chucky films or leave them. I still love the original. They are entertaining enough but a lot of them are too comical for me. I like creepy dolls like Annabelle. Seed of Chucky was pretty funny and over the top, but I wish they took the franchise a little more seriously.

17. MisterTwister

Curse took things pretty seriously for the most part without going too over the top with the comedy. If you feel it needs to be more serious than that well son you need to chill and lighten the fuck up.

18. Natas

I'm with you......... tough to take a franchise too "seriously" when it's about a 2 and a half foot killer doll :D

MisterTwister likes this.
  19. MisterTwister

Exactly! Even the original had some comedic moments. Mancini listened to the fans and made a much less comedic sequel with Curse.

But you can't please everyone!

20. Natas