Cult of Chucky - Fall 2017

Discussion in 'General' started by Nailwraps, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I hope they tie up/explain the confusing ending to Curse.

2. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

looks like fun count me in day 1 buy/purchase

3. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Not sure how a shotgun blast to ol' chuck's face is confusing but hey whatever floats your boat.

4. Zombie Dude

I mean the ending before the after credit scene, where Chucky is transferring his soul into the little girl.

MisterTwister likes this.
  5. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

The little girl is returning so I guess we'll find out.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  6. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Wow this franchise melts the nostalgia goggles onto people's faces, don't it? The first 3 films are all misses. All. I used to think the original was good... when I was a kid. Since my teens, I've always wondered what's supposed to be so great about Child's Play. And here's the funny thing about that question: if the story to a great film doesn't seem up to snuff, audio-visually the film should still be able to blow you away. But... there's nothing special about Child's Play on a stylistic level. It's dull. And gray. And washed out. And cold. And stiff. The story is a soapy drama that's pretty much only about whether the mother can prove the doll killed anyone. That's it. That's not very compelling or interesting. Are you really in suspense for just the reactions on people's faces? Which, by the way, IS the ending of the movie. That and Chucky getting the crap beaten out of him... Which isn't that hard to do, he's already very small. Your climax, ladies and gentlemen: pick on the little guy! Riveting.

Then, you've got parts 2 and 3. Which, as I've always pointed out, do fix the problem of the original film being a chore to look at. Switching the production over to Universal in 1990 means you're going to get those freaky Problem Child grotesque primary colors and a lot of warped shots that almost make it look like Andy is walking on the ceiling of a madhouse which is the entire world. And the music is extremely twisted as well. But... now I almost miss the soapy child custody / cop drama of the first movie. Because this story fucking sucks smelly wet fart socks! Again, it's "Andy can't make anyone believe him" and everyone he meets is a giant asshole. Why? 'Cause. Apparently. He can't even go to school without some random kid getting him into trouble on the first day. Why? 'Cause. Teachers are just mean. Kids are just assholes. Adoptive Dads just yell at traumatized kids for running away from killer dolls because they fell out of a closet.

Stupid kids of the world, remember not to let killer dolls stumble out of closets and you won't get yelled at.

At least Part 3 had a few characters around Andy who weren't assholes. I still say Part 2 is the worst film, because Part 3 has some awkward moments but at least they are cohesive. People are actually willing to listen to Andy. In Part 2? Nobody. Not even his only confidant, Kyle(?) the blonde girl. In Part 3, Andy is actually the bigger problem because by this point there is no reason on Earth he should be afraid that Chucky is going to kill people who are mean to him at the military academy. The original script for Child's Play had Chucky acting out Andy's inner rage/unhappiness and each of the first 2 sequels keep that general idea going... until Andy starts screaming "but it's true!" (You have to admit it's unusual that most of Chucky's victims are people who have said or done something mean or creepy to Andy.) After all that kid's been through and all the nasty people who have been cruel to him, he should at least be more apathetic to the people Chucky is killing. Instead, he becomes more of a sad, retarded boy scout.

Each of the latter films that followed finally stopped being so damn moralistic. It's much more interesting watching Chucky being treated like a character with a personality rather than a blindly psychotic killing machine. After all, he is pretty small. That's never changed. It's a lot smarter to approach the films as satiric, campy, meta black comedies. Curse was the weakest of the latter half but it was incredibly strong until the final 3rd. Bride is the strongest because it's the most tonally consistent, has such huge, awesome set-piece killing scenes, and glues them together with incredibly funny anti-social commentary. You have to immediately wonder how Chucky and Tiffany ever got along with each other. My personal theory is that she just forgot he used to treat her like crap and became more independent and strong on her own in the 10 years she was apart from him. Great characters, great ideas, lots of insane carnage- most of it pretty believable despite the dolls' small sizes.

Seed is comfortably superior to Curse because it sort of ends the same way it begins: pure, shocking chaos. Do not get attached to a character in this movie, in all likelihood they will die. And horrifically. And most of them are... well, quite a few of them are likable people. When it begins, it's a nightmare sequence but it looks more like a movie. As does the movie's Santa introduction to Chucky and Tiffany. So, it's so highly stylized that it's like being in a cinematic candy store. (Also, there was more money in the film industry in 2004 than in 2013.) And, that coda ending... Holy shit! Does that thing deliver or WHAT? Who else would go on a killing spree while a child's Birthday party is taking place? Only the Tiffany/Chucky family.

Now... Where's Final Destination 6? ;)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  7. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

New trailer. What you think? It looks awesome in my opinion. Can't wait.

Workshed, Zombie Dude and fceurich39 like this.
  8. fceurich39

Looks really cool will be a day 1 buy

sade and Natas like this.
  9. Natas

Such a bummer this flick can't get a theatrical run. Would love to catch this on the big screen. But I'm with you, day 1 for sure.

10. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I don't think this looks very good at all... Looks like a cheap DTV-type production. I still haven't seen anything past Seed of Chucky, and even that was pretty bad and everything since just hasn't looked appealing or worth checking out. I imagine I'll catch up at some point but my expectations are very low.

11. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    The blue/orange color correction doesn't even help.

12. sade

sade Member

I will take this one over any sequel/clone of Sinister/Conjuring/Insidious/Annabelle...

chancetx and Natas like this.
  13. Natas

Seed sucks. Curse was awesome. It's like a creepy haunted house flick......with Chucky. You should definitely check it out.

14. Zombie Dude

Nice! Looks like fun. Can't wait to check this one out. Surprised they didn't show Andy in the trailer.

15. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Noticed at the end of the trailer it noted, 'this movie has not been rated yet', I hope we still get an unrated release like the last movie.

16. fceurich39

Unrated DVD and bluray confirmed for October 3rd release date

17. Zombie Dude

I don't know why (now that I think about it) but I'm surprised they're going for the same wolf in sheep's clothing approach for Chucky again. I guess it makes sense for him to fake being a normal Good Guy doll again so he can get closer to his victims I just wasn't expecting it for some reason. Hopefully it this is successful like the last one we may get to see Chucky back on the big screen sometime soon.

18. Zombie Dude

Lol, rewatched it before and realized he's in the first scene! Somehow totally missed that.

19. Natas

Just preordered my blu ray copy! Very excited! I do believe the first week of October will include a Chucky-ton!

I was contemplating that sweet looking blu set coming out with all 7 films but ultimately decided on Cult for 18 bucks with shipping with a $5 credit I had at Best Buy.

20. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Just found this by accident: Enjoy