Cult of Chucky - Fall 2017

Discussion in 'General' started by Nailwraps, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I watched it yesterday and really enjoyed it, especially the return of some of the old characters/actors. I can however really see this one as being either love/hate for fans with not much middle ground though...which seems to be the case from the comments posted on various forums regarding the film.

2. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Member

I want to check out Curse of Chucky and Cult of Chucky (the two most recent ones), but it has been years since I watched any of the other sequels. Is there any continuity issues that would make it annoying to watch these without catching up on the previous stories or can they stand well enough on their own?

3. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Curse is a bit of a "reboot," in some ways, in that it can be watched separately. I don't think the franchise is complex enough to give you pause. (I've forgotten any nods to previous films it may contain, but I'm sure you'll catch 'em.)

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3420719/curse-chucky-completely-restored-faith-franchise/

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I know this is on NetFlix and I can watch it at any time, but I went ahead and blind-bought the blu-ray today anyway. I loved Curse Of Chucky and own the rest of the series on blu-ray already, so I knew I was going to end up buying it eventually anyway. Plus, I love how Mancini has both rebooted and continued the series (not sure how that's possible, but he did it!), so I wanted to support both Mancini and the series continuing by buying it as opposed to watching it for free. The lenticular slipcover is a nice perk as well.

Although according to the back of the blu-ray case:
    Rated: 1 hr 31 mins
    Unrated: 1 hr 30 mins

So I assume I want to watch the R-rated version? I hate how they make this so confusing, just give me the best version to watch!

Natas likes this.
  5. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

Respect.

I like your style, bud. Gotta support our genre.

I've only watched the unrated version so I can't speak on the differences....... I'll probably watch the R rated version before the month is over. But it's an enjoyable flick.......I was very happy with it.

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I'd have to check the Blu-ray disc again to be certain, but I'm pretty sure the Unrated version runs the minute longer. I think the R-rated version is at least missing the "after credits" scene at the end of the film.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah I was thinking it was possibly a mistake too. You'd expect the unrated to run longer.

Katatonia likes this.
  8. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Already a few weeks after the DVD/Blu-ray and already Cult of Chucky is being planned to air on AMC the same month!

9. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed this one a little less than Curse. The kill scenes were top notch, some of the best I’ve seen in years, and I had some fun with how gonzo it went story wise. I love that we are 30 years on from the first film and are still in the original continuity, but that’s also a hindrance. Having to tie into everything that’s gone before (and they do, I think this film would be easy to get lost in if you haven’t seen the previous 6 films) means you can be stuck with actors who aren’t great and the story has to kind of fit in the box you’ve built thus far. Although I will say that style wise, you can’t get much different than the last three entries, which keeps it entertaining. So I’d say it’s worth checking out, but isn’t the second coming or anything.

10. Enjoyed this even more than Curse. I LOVED the direction the story went, it had some of the best kills of the series and the third act was batshit nuts.

It also had some of my favorite vocal work from Brad Dourif (You got to suck titty today!)

I can't wait to see what Mancini has in store for the 8th film. Whatever it is sign me the fuck up.

Natas likes this.