Cursed VS Red Eye

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Jan 20, 2006.

?

vote

1. Cursed

19.2%
  2. Red Eye

80.8%
  1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Which one of these two 2005 Wes Craven movies did you enjoy the most?

2. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I went with Cursed because it was fun enough, although neither are anything for Wes to be too terribly proud of. Both work better as comedies than horror/thrillers, and I don't think they are supposed to be quite so damn funny.

It is entirely possible the horrendous finale of Red Eye will grow on me in a B movie/trainwreck/oh my god this is horrible beyond belief and I can't stop laughing kind of way. You know, like the finale of Saw did.

Until then, I have to run off and try to save the day. **Grabs pen**

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2006
  3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Even though Cursed was kinda crappy and somewhat screwed by the studio, it was fun.

Red Eye was decent enough, but some parts of the film were just annoying.

4. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Not voting for either, as I wasn't impressed with either. Red Eye was instantly forgettable, and had a crap ending, and Cursed was cheesy as hell...but in that respect, it was almost fun.

5. Luna

Luna Guest

Red Eye made me laugh so hard that I actually broke my glasses. I haven't seen Cursed yet, so my tentative vote is for Red Eye. When I see Cursed, I will come back and actually click one of the two. ;)

6. Franco

Franco Weekender

You wear glasses ??? :spit:

7. Luna

Luna Guest

Yeah, if I don't want to bump into walls and put myself in traction, I wear glasses. I'm pretty much blind as a bat without 'em, and Red Eye didn't help that very much!

8. Franco

Franco Weekender

My friend, the metalhead here, is so blind that he sees in full blur effect everything that lies one meter ahead from him when he wears no lens.

Have you considered that famous eye surgery for recovering the original resolution of the eye's view ? Guess my pal's been considering it and will go thru it this year ...

Risk of a failed operation is very low if I'm not wrong.

9. Luna

Luna Guest

As it is right now, I wouldn't consider LASIK. Failure rates are higher than you would think. I know someone who made his living as a photographer who had the surgery and it failed on him and he came out of it with much worse vision. He can't do his job any longer and his vision may even get poorer from what I understand. My eyes may be bad, but I don't want them to get any worse by my doing. If they can iron out some kinks and lower risks, I might consider it. Until then, nobody's getting my money. :)

10. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

RED EYE, because I didn't really feel strongly either way about it, whereas I actively disliked CURSED.

11. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

CURSED was obviously a mess,Craven had a hopeless task.RED EYE was lightweight,but it was pacey.Despite it's silliness,I liked it more than the bigger,more self important FLIGHTPLAN.RED EYE gets my vote.

12. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Wow, I'm surprised there's even a debate here. Neither of these films will make my "Best of 2005" list but Red Eye is clearly a vastly superior film to Cursed in every aspect. While the film is far from perfect, Craven's direction is much more focused in Red Eye and the writing is much improved (albeit from different writers than Cursed). The unrated version of Cursed improves the movie ever so slightly, but Red Eye is the clear winner here.

13. Guyver99

Guyver99 Member

I loved Red Eye. Craven pulled a Hitchcock and made 3/4 of the movie in one location and kept it suspenseful. Lightweight? Sure, but what can you expect from a PG-13 movie? Rachel McAdams is great and Cillian Murphy is creepy once again. The movie was just a very well crafted piece of work. Not exactly Eraserhead in originality, but entertaining.

14. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

red eye is way better

15. I find it kinda funny that in a thread about the movie Red Eye we have a discussion about Lasik surgery...Ironic? maybe.

If I were to vote it would be for Cursed, I liked Red Eye (even the finale) but Cursed was just funner for me.

16. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I chose Red Eye, which was very entertaining but also very pedestrian. Nothing really special about it aside from the two stars, who were both wonderful. Cursed is more fantastical, more of a mess, but I also enjoyed it. And I can't help imagining the "real" Craven version had he been able to release that one.

But there are some genuinely cool moments in Cursed, like the the scene with Christina Ricci in the bathroom at her office. That's classic Craven imo.

Perhaps there should have been a "liked/disliked both just as much" option?

17. 4Gotten1

4Gotten1 Guest

Red Eye. I felt that it was supposed to be a mindless, fun little thriller; and that's exactly what I got. No more, no less. It kept me entertained and I admittedly enjoyed it. Cursed didn't do anything for me.

18. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I went with "Red Eye" but I honestly didn't like either...I love me some Craven, but I didn't like his 2005 output much. "Red Eye" has a nifty opening hour, but it can't sustain it.

19. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Red Eye was actually not that bad of a film. It was short and rarely deviated from the main plot. In fact it's the first film directed by Craven (actually the first film with Craven's involvement at all) that I even slightly enjoyed since the original Scream. Cursed, on the other hand, could've been the second coming of great Werewolf films, but instead became one of the biggest laugh-fests of 2005, and not in a good way.

20. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Red Eye. I just watched it last weekend and I really enjoyed it. Just a fast-paced movie that just flew by and kept me entertained the whole way through. Cursed wasn't horrible but it certainly wasn't great either and that "giving the finger" scene really hurt it's credibility. And some horrible cgi.