Dana Gould's Toys of Terror (2020)

Discussion in 'General' started by X-human, Nov 18, 2020.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Just in time for Christmas on SyFy...

Dana Gould was doing a Q&A last night on The Mads and talked about how he wrote and produced Toys of Terror which is a killer toys movie that apparently uses stop motion for the SFX! I don't watch trailers so I haven't confirmed but there's every reason to believe Gould and so I'm psyched!

Exclusive: These creepy, killer toys aren't playing around in new trailer for horror flick 'Toys of Terror'
    https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/toys-of-terror-exclusive-trailer

Oh Baby! The game is up in exclusive clip from creepy new horror film 'Toys of Terror'
    https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/toys-of-terror-exclusive-clip-baby

He's also apparently working on a horror-esque parody of stop motion TV specials, which spun off Toys of Terror, but I can't find anything on that specific project so it must not be as far along.

chancetx likes this.
  2. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Dana Gould is probably my favorite comedian after Doug Stanhope so I'm hoping it will be good. The trailer didn't blow me away but Dana is a huge horror fan, so I trust this will at least be decent.

Of course, Glenn Danzig is also a huge horror fan and his movie is apparently the worst thing ever, so who knows

3. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

"Seinfeld's van, Seinfeld's van!!!"

Good old Frankie Merman......the summer "George"

chancetx likes this.
  4. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

That's a great episode, I might have to watch that one now. I actually saw him do standup in Raleigh like 5 years ago, my seat was front row, directly in front of the mic stand. I was almost close enough to reach out and grab his leg.

Natas likes this.
  5. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Ahh the good old days. Remember, when you could gather with people at a venue and laugh at a stand up show.

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

This was terrible. It felt like they had a bit of a budget behind it, so they had the resources to make a decent movie, but the script is awful. The plot is basically that a family buys an old mansion with the intention of flipping it, they find some toys in the attic, and the rest of the movie is just a string of random scenes happening in the mansion. The mom is terrible, the daughter is a brat, the only character worth caring about it the nanny. Also, when you have a movie like this where the main characters are a family (mom, dad, two kids), you know they're all safe. This isn't The Hills Have Eyes, it's SyFy's Toys Of Terror. There isn't a moment in the movie where you feel like any of them are in any sort of danger. It's a huge bore. I'm not sure who this was made for, because I doubt a lot of parents are going to let their kids watch this, yet the movie is far too tepid and dull for adult horror fans. I'm all about Christmas horror movies, but this one is kind of a turd.

That said, next weekend's SyFy Original Movie Letters To Satan Claus looks fun.

7. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Yeah......I caught about half of this earlier this morning. It was pretty fucking stupid. I got a good laugh out of what some of the toys were saying.

Letters to Satan Claus can't be worse than this.

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I just finished watching it and it is disappointing somehow. You know who's going to live and who's going to die, and you also know that it won't happen for awhile, so the first half of the movie is pretty hum drum. But then that's true of a lot of horror movies. And while it comes off as tepid it does have strong production values. Good music. Good photography. Great set design. Even the prop toys have a more "real" toy vibe than your typical movie toys. Albeit the toys look a little too new to still be old toys from the 70's/80's but they're supernatural so what the hell. I have to conclude that it's lack luster simply because the toys aren't really doing the killing. We watch these movies to see toys kill. They also don't show the kids being killed at the beginning when establishing the movie so that sets the tone that we're not going to see much. So you're already looking to check your watch before we even meet the leads.

With all that said, once they switch on the stop motion (and it is stop motion, the credits confirm) about halfway through it's pretty entertaining. And it has a bittersweet ending that I enjoyed. I still think I'll pick up the Blu-ray on sale some day soon. But then I'm a sucker for this kinda stuff.

9. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Got the dvd along with Cleansing Hour at Walmart. Looks like the bluray might have been delayed or cancelled for Toys of Terror.

10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Yeah, I noticed they pulled the blu-ray listing. Not that I'd want to own this one anyway.

Spiral is the new release horror worth owning this week. Not horror, but The Kid Detective is pretty great too.

fceurich39 likes this.