Daniel Isn't Real (2019)

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Nov 25, 2019.

1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

From SpectreVision and Shudder comes Daniel Isn't Real, from director Adam Egypt Mortimer and writer Brian DeLeeuw (based off his novel In This Way I Was Saved), which arrives to Shudder streaming sometime in early 2020, but starts a limited theatrical run on Dec. 6th, 2019.

Synopsis: When Luke (Miles Robbins) decided to leave his mother's home and face emancipation, he never thought it would be so complicated. His social awkwardness and his diverse traumas will make him seek the aid of an old buddy: his imaginary childhood friend Daniel (Patrick Schwarzeneggar, Arnold's legitmate son), who is now a self-confident, manipulative young man. Daniel will start to help Luke, but his intentions will soon prove to be somewhat more sinister.

I recently caught this last week at a local film festival and liked it quite a bit! It's basically a horror version of Drop Dead Fred (it even hits a lot of the same story structure beats of DDF, which surprisingly is never to its detriment), and is genuinely quite dark and gritty, and features some truly nightmarish visuals/sequences. Highly recommended!

2. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I thought it was pretty good 6.5/10

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Finally rented Daniel Isn't Real last night, along with the year's most tedious movie Knives And Skin.

I thought it was good. Definitely a bit overhyped and probably not something I'd ever watch again, but it's worth seeing at least once. Nepotism runs wild in the casting, as Miles Robbins is the son of Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins, and you can probably guess the parents of Patrick Schwarzenegger. Miles is actually pretty good here, but Patrick is a bit tepid in a role that requires a lot more than he gives. Unsurprisingly, the real standout here is Sasha Lane (and if you're not on the Sasha Lane bandwagon, I highly recommend American Honey and The Miseducation Of Cameron Post). That said, she isn't given enough to do here. Also nice to see Mary Stuart Masterson, as it has been a while.

There are some really wild and terrific effects sequences, as seen in the trailer still above, that are a cross between Jacob's Ladder and Screaming Mad George. That said, this was really blandly shot and directed. When you're dealing with an imaginary friend, there are so many simple in-camera tricks you can do involving simple choreography and camera movements that are never done here. Schwarzenegger is either in the shot or he isn't, the camera never does anything creative there. I laughed out loud at the cringe-worthy Persona shot, which is haphazardly inserted into a random scene here. There's no movement or marks to hit or anything, it's just this random shot inserted into a scene:

[​IMG]

Warts and all, I do think it's worth seeing. Like I said though, it's probably not a movie I'd ever watch again. At least not while Drop Dead Fred exists. That ending still gets me choked up!

Going back to IFC Midnight's Knives And Skin though...

[​IMG]

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

DVD only release in the US on January 28th, 2020.

If you want the blu-ray, you'll have to import Arrow's.

[​IMG]