"Dario Argento Back to Giallo in 'Yellow'?"

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Crystal Plumage, Nov 14, 2007.

1. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

La Horde wasn't that great. Although the first Zombie attack was fantastic, the rest of the film had far too much CGI to enjoy.

2. marcx

marcx New Member

Finally saw Giallo last night via the Polish DVD--not sure where the negativit is coming from..I thoroughly enjoyed it...No it is not deep red or Suspiria but it is an engaging thriller that definitely has Argento's fingerprints on it...

3. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I feel the same way about it. Really enjoyed it. I DL'd it, but I'll buy it when there's a region 1 release, as I have all of Argento's films on DVD. There were a few things I didn't like about it like:

The girl figuring out what yellow was, was ridiculous, in the flashback, Adrian Brodey murdering the guy viciously and getting off after explaining himself and lastly the ending felt tacked on. It could have ending with Brodey just walking off. I guess they wanted a little bit of a happy ending!!

All in all, the plot was comprehensible for a giallo and that is rare. The things I pointed out were ridiculous, but forgivable. I liked it!! I think Argento's last 2 were good. He's back in form, unlike Romero!

4. marcx

marcx New Member

The original script had a darker ending..

but I don't mind the other items you mentioned as they help make the film feel---Argentoish :)

5. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

After hearing so many terrible reviews I ended up enjoyed this one as well. The only thing I had a problem with was the Killer. I thought he could of done something better with that. Other then that I had no problem with it. I liked the ending though I agree they should of left out the very last scene. The acting was fine and there was even few moments of Argento's classic artistic flare.
    One small thing that I noticed and enjoyed was the fact that after the girl got her finger cut off she was actually favoring it for the rest of the film. A pet peeve of mine is that in most films they act like it feels fine a couple of minutes later.
    I would say it was an improvement over Mother of Tears and above average for a latter day Argento film.

6. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Overall I found it to be pretty forgettable. Not bad and I enjoyed it well enough while it was on, but I just don't remember anything that made me go "wow"...ok except for the part
    where Giallo' s hanging on to the piece of metal with the pieces of jagged glass sticking out...if he lets go he dies, if he doesn't he's getting his hands chopped up. OUCH!!

The score was pretty weak too.

Worth watching and better than a lot of Argento's more recent movies, but still nothing special.

7. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

It's funny, I kind of enjoyed Giallo for what it was - and I only saw it a couple of weeks ago - but when I read that spoiler, I couldn't for the life of me remember that scene from the movie. So I guess you are 100% right - it was pretty forgettable, even if it was enjoyable.

8. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

I went into GIALLO expecting the worst and was pleasantly surprised. The camerawork had the feel of Argento past with a few nice moves. The music was ok, but not great. The killer was original at the very least. Some great gore, even if the blood one time looked like prune juice! My favorite aspect is the lack of romance. Thank God! I really like Adrian Brody's character so much more that he stayed focused instead of trying to hook up during the investigation.
    So certainly not Argento's best, but I think it's better than Phantom Of The Opera and Do You Like Hitchcock? I will definitely buy this on DVD.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  9. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Looks like Brody is suing to try and stop the release of this movie because he wasn't compensated like he was promised. A little late considering it's already shipping from Amazon and that we've had several releases of this movie in various parts of the world already...

10. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Major LULZ I think I just shit myself! :eek:

11. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

here's more on the story, FYI.

12. rhett

rhett Administrator

Kind of a doucehbag move by the producers. They already failed to live up to the first agreement and now are simply just ignoring the second now that the film is in the can? I guess that's why no stars want to touch Argento's movies these days...

13. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Makes me sort of suspicious that they messed up the Italian distribution rights solely to save themselves from having to pay Brody. I know it's unlikely seeing as how low that amount is in the grand scheme of things, but who knows exactly what the moneymen figured out?

14. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Movie producers are real scumbags and leeches for the most part. I hope Brody prevails here. Saw the film over the weekend (on the big screen) and it was a travesty. Easily the worst Argento film I've seen.

15. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

And if those quotes from the attorney for the defense are accurate, that guy is a dick.

16. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Wow, definitely not cool. I thought shit like this was a thing of the past. Guess not.

17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yep, Blockbuster has had it in stores since early September. I'm sure quite a few people have seen the DVD by now!

18. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    This sucks!! I DL'd it to watch, but I purchase all of Argento's films and planned on getting this on Blu. I might have to seek out a R2 release of it now!

19. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

OK so was this movie any good or was it shit? If it sucked I figure no wonder he doesn't want nobody to see it.

20. Vance Vandy

Vance Vandy Member

I never liked Brody. Dude ruined Predators for me. OK, so it wasn't good from the start but he didn't make it any easier to bare.