Dario Argento TV specials (Door Into Darkness) on DVD!

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Crystal Plumage, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Found this at Darkdream.org:

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

But......where's Four Flies......,Dragon??

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Argento is rumored to have Directed two of these, but what of the other two?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2003
  3. As I understand it: two're directed by Argento, one's produced by Argento, and the last is by Cozzi.

4. suspiria

suspiria Guest

anyone know what they're about or if they're any good?

5. wizzer

wizzer get outta here ewe

are these like the italian twilight zone? if so i would definately like to check these out. i think they talk about the tv series on dario argento: eye for horror

6. Luna

Luna Guest

I think I heard about these a while ago, but I forgot the details. If it is indeed a horror anthology sort of deal or if it's even mystery or giallo related, I'll definitely be getting this. I must investigate further! :D

7. Crystal Plumage

I don't want to spoil the fun for a lot of you but I think it will be a PAL disc.
    But I suppose any self respecting DVD afficionado has that problem solved already.

8. Luna

Luna Guest

Oh, PAL is fine with me. Of course I'd rather R1, NTSC, but hey... I'll take what I can get!

9. Crystal Plumage

From http://www.mediaroach.com/fistfulofdario/index.html :

From http://www.vervost.de/argento/index.sht :

[font=arial,helvetica][size=-1][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]The Eyewitness (TV/1972)[/size][/font][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]Aka:[/size][/font][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]Testimone oculare (Italian title) [/size][/font][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]Genre:[/size][/font][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]Thriller[/size][/font][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]Argento's work:[/size][/font][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]Producer, Director, Screenplay[/size][/font][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]Credited as:[/size][/font][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]"Roberto Pariente"[/size][/font][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]

The Tram (TV/1972)
    [/size][/font][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]Aka:[/size][/font][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]Il Tram (Italian title) [/size][/font][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]Genre:[/size][/font][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]Thriller[/size][/font][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]Argento's work:[/size][/font][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]Producer, Director, Screenplay[/size][/font][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]Credited as:[/size][/font][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]"Sirio Bernadotte"[/size][/font][/size][/font]
    From www.imdb.com (personal opinions) :
    Il Tram/The Tram(1973) is a bloodless but well filmed episode of a TV show called Doors to Darkness. The cinematography is absolutely colorful and Argento uses different techniques in an artful way. This was based on a scene that was cut from the original script in The Bird with the Crystal Plumage(1969). The scene where all the suspects are put in the spot of the tram where they were located when a murder occurred as an reenactment is suspenseful. Dario Argento's next assignment as Film Director would be his first Great Masterpiece, Profondo Rosso/Deep Red(1975).

and:
    Testimone Oculare/The Eyewitness(1973) is about a woman who thinks she saw the murder of a young girl by an unknown assailant. No one believes her but the black glove murderer makes an attempt on her life. This was the second episode of Doors to Darkness(1973) that famed Italian Horror Filmmaker Dario Argento directed(even though the film is credited to Roberto Pariante). The final chase scene in the house is full of suspense and surprise. The story sort of reminded me of the classic French thriller of the 1950's Diabolique(1955). The music by Giorgio Gaslini is better then the ones Morricone did for Argento's Animal Trilogy(The Bird With The Crystal Plumage{1969}, Cat O'Nine Tails{1970}, and 4 Flies on Grey Velvet{1972}). It is another Argento film where a person sees a murder but thinks that a crucial piece of the puzzle is missing...ala, The Bird With the Crystal Plumage(1969), Deep Red(1975), Tenebre(1982), and Trauma(1993).

That's all I could find right now........​

10. Luna

Luna Guest

Sounds excellent... a must-buy for me. Thanks for the info! :D

11. Crystal Plumage

It DOES sound excellent!
    You're welcome!

12. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Update:

[​IMG]

Release Date: 02/27/04
    Limited 2-Disc Set Edition
    Extras: Dario Argento & Luigi Cozzi Intro / Luigi Cozzi Interview.
    Audio: 2.0 Italian
    Subtitles: English / German

13. suspiria

suspiria Guest

thats a fukin brilliant cover!

14. sinister

sinister Active Member

I've got the Jap LD of this (La porta sul buio, "Doorway to darkness"), which is in Italian with Jap subs, so will be great to get a copy with English subs at last.

The Tram is the best of the 4, very similar direction to Argento's movies from the same period... the scene in the tram workshop is classic Argento and for fans will be worth getting the DVD for by itself.

15. Crystal Plumage

Limited to 3000 !
    And I only saw it at 40 Euro.
    Where to buy this one cheaper??

16. Luna

Luna Guest

That's it, I ordered.

It's available at these places, some of which I cannot vouch for, reputation-wise because I've never ordered from them. The only one I've ordered from was Sazuma, and that was a total nightmare so I wouldn't recommend them. Perhaps they've improved since then, but I really cannot say because I wouldn't give them another try if they were the last place online to buy DVDs.

http://www.movietyme.com
    http://www.absurd-online.dk
    http://www.medienhandel.at
    http://www.sazuma.com

17. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Just got a reply from Tony at www.xploitedcinema.com and he said he should be getting it in sometime next week, and the price will be between $40 and $44. Just an FYI for anyone interested.

18. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

While I am very excited to get this, I'm not exactly impressed with Dragon's track record when it comes to transfer quality. Hopefully this will be an impressive release from the AV standpoint.

19. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Barring some lackluster picture quality at times, I love a lot of Dragon releases. I'll definately be ordering it. By the way, it is worth waiting to get it from Xploited because Tony blows everyones ass out of the water with prices and especially service.

20. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

Personally, I would wait and get it from Tony. He is the best out there.