Dario Argento's Phantom of the Opera

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by RyanPC, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Andrew

Andrew Guest

More and more people seem to love INFERNO, while a smaller few enjoy TRAUMA. You may want to revise that statement.

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Oh not at all, I was perfectly aware of what I was doing. I personally love Inferno and hate Trauma. However, by choosing these two diversive titles, I was actually giving both an example that proved for some the point, and disproved it for others. Not even post is flippant ;)

3. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

All Argento's films featuring Asia are mediocre IMHO.I don't like her that much,and you might think I'm gay (though my wife knows different:D ),but I don't find her that pretty either.
    But still there's enough in every movie to enjoy.And I'm still waiting to upgrade Stendahl and Trauma.

4. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I'd upgrade Stendahl, but not Trauma. Asia is a fine looking woman, but her acting is bad, with the occasional slip into being mediocre.

5. Luna

Luna Guest

You and me both, then. I liked it too, but I was never expecting very much to begin with after reading all of the constant bashing it receives. It reminded me of a BBC or perhaps PBS costume drama in its production quality and with the sets, but I also found it pretty comedic. There were some moments that made me laugh out loud, in fact, such as every scene the other opera singer was in and the b-story about the 2 guys and their rat problems. It was by no means Argento's best, but I thought it was a decent change of pace, and I've found that Argento's worst is a hell of a lot better to me than a lot of other movies anyway! :D

6. ErinJC23

ErinJC23 Guest

Could have done without seeing rats crawl all over Julian's naked chest...

7. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

I also beg to differ on this subject. I really enjoyed this film. The only thing I don't like is the made for T.V. quality. I also see a lot of Argento's unique style in the camerawork. It does seem a bit funny though and you can't really tell if it's trying to be or not. The first time I saw it, I wasn't to keen on it, but I really do now. It still gives me that "something's not right" feeling though. And, of course, you can't go wrong with an Argento flick that only costs $6-$8.

8. tobaccoman

Asia's not that pretty because she resembles her father and I don't find Dario at all attractive. Maybe if I had seen Asia first, I'd have a different perspective.

9. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I just got around to finally watching this tonight. On one hand I would agree that it was his weakest film. On the other I think it’s is still very underrated. I’ve only seen it once but I enjoyed it. It might be just my blind love for his movies but I thought the sets and costumes were wonderful and at times it had a mesmerizing quality to it. I did miss his usually extravagant direction, some scenes were unintentionally funny and the phantom had no real reason to start killing anyone. It seemed like the worst parts of the film were the murders, they just felt out of place. Overall thought it kept my attention fully and I felt it did have enough merit that it doesn’t deserve to be so maliciously hated as was seems to be the consensus.

10. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

She also resembles here mother.That's usually how it works with children.You don't think she's pretty?If she came looking for you i'm sure your opinion would change.:D

11. tobaccoman

Don't get me wrong, I'd fuck her without a second thought, just because of who she is and her attitude in general. However her likeness to Dario (which you gotta admit, he's a pretty freaky looking guy) is somewhat of a turn-off. But hell, I've fucked some pretty fat ugly bitches so she'd be one helluvan improvent over some of them.

12. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Damn man, she doesn't look that close to her father. Dark hair yes, but I think I could easily blank our Dario's face while tonguing the chick. Still, you got your issues, I've got mine :D

13. tobaccoman

That depends on where you're tounging the chick! ;)

14. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Oooooooooooooo. Thanks dude, there goes THAT fantasy. :(