Dario Argento's "The Three Mothers" [MERGED]

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Crystal Plumage, Dec 8, 2003.

1. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I can't wait to see it. I hope it plays here. I have really liked Argento's latest films, actually. They're different from his classics, but I've not been disappointed. His films are far better than the current pop stuff.

2. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Wait until you guy see this. :D

Anyway - the DVD is out in R2...

4. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Has anyone heard anything about an Anchor Bay / Blue Underground DVD release? Because I REALLY want to see this, but I don't want to buy the UK Optimum disc if there's a much better one coming out later!! :(

5. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I know what you mean, pi! I've been dying to order the UK one, but I really want to hear what the US release will have on it. And of course, it'll be cheaper as well. I also don't want to wait a year to get it, so if there is no indication of a release in the near future, I'll go ahead and snag that UK DVD.

6. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Extras are pathetic guys..... big problem....

7. darklight

darklight New Member

The film is pretty poor. I wouldn't bother with a purchase. I had the R2 version but sold it straight away. Some good gore but overall poor. Argento has lost the plot (like Carpenter)...:eek:

8. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I'm a compulsive buyer/collector, especially when it comes to Argento, so I won't let trivial things like no quality or awfulness interfere ;)

Then again, I have enjoyed Carpenter's dwindling career a lot (Vampires, I think, is nothing but a flawed masterpiece), and even Argento at his worst is usually entertaining. I like Phantom and Trauma. Loved Do You Like Hitchcock? The only film of his that I am completely indifferent towards is The Card Player, which was just so bland and lame.

The over-the-top gore of Mother of Tears sounds like it will at least not be bland or mundane.

9. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I buy every Argento film no matter what, so I will definitely have it in my collection!

10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I rewatched this tonight. Honestly, it gets worse. From the awful plot, the terrible casting (in EVERY role), the nondescript soundtrack, and the finale that is laugh-out-loud funny, there's no saving this one. Yes - perhaps it's the worst Argento ever.

The first kill is great (though the actress is so bad you're willing her to die), but after that it's poor. Other than a couple moments with an infant, it's embarassing.

I don't know what was going through Argento's mind when he hired the writer of the Toolbox Murders remake to help him script this - but my God, it's a horrible job they've all done.

It's so disapointing that the trilogy should have ended this way. You won't believe the climax - I know I didn't. Where's the great lighting? Where's the killer soundtrack? Where the horror? Where's the magic? This film is devoid of all that. Even the camerawork is weak.

And Dario - when a house falls down, don't CGI it - and doin't have it CGI'd by a ten-year old with crayons. Really.

Finally - ASIA CANNOT ACT. So let's just draw a line under it.

11. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I hated the movie as well, but knowing Suspiria and Inferno, I simply can't blame the writer for the bomb that Mother of Tears became. Let's face facts: it was always the visuals (and audio) that made Argento's movies the classics that they were, NOT the scripts. This piece of crap rests entirely upon his shoulders and nobody else's. His spirit is simply not in it anymore. I walked away from Mother of Tears with the impression that he only made it for the money, kind of like Romero and Diary of the Dead.

12. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Films must be built upon a strong foundation. And I'm clutching at straws. :D

There's going to be a lot of disapointed people when this hits R1.

13. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Asia is a great actress - in other films than her father's with the exception of Stendhal.
    Terza Madre is actually a very dark, horrific comedy. I am sure Dario had this in mind - he even told me that a lot of what's laughable in the film is intentional.

There ia a good review somewhere that analyses the film as such and does a great job. I cant remember where though.

14. The Chaostar

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  15. The Chaostar

16. dwatts

dwatts New Member

A great actress. Great? She half manages to entertain in the likes of The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things, but great? I'm not sure by what standards we're talking here. And why would she be so bad in her fathers films? Fortunately she didn't have to act too much in Scarlet Diva.....

But given the dreck she's done: XXX, Land of the Dead etc. She's a long way from great in my books. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't make too many top-ten actress lists to be honest (assuming the person being asked knows the names of more than ten actresses. :D)

Onto that first review - interesting points, but it at all times ignores the execution. It's all very well reading intent and significance into things, but when - visually - it looks like it was shot for a "Carry On" Horror flick, you're in big trouble. Take this piece:

That zombie scene - I literally cringed. What was Dario doing with Daria? Was this the final insult to her image? Was he holding her up to ridicule one last time? No drama, no excitement, just one of the most cringeworthy cameo performances I've seen. This had to be a final middle-finger to his ex-partner (hard to imagine she'd do another film with him).

And the invisibility? The first time this happens it is so laugh-out-loud funny. When Daria says: "Concentrate" and Asia, perhaps realizing she's in a film destined for the bargain bin or at best association with the Monogram greats, closes her eyes as tightly as she can like a little kid being told to "act! Act!"..... what can you do but laugh? And then Dario actually composed and printed a shot of the detective putting his face - Alienesque - to within millimetres of Asia's face - showing both of them (she's invisible, but the audience knows she's there, but he doesn't, but the audience does.....geddit?)..... except she's supposed to be invisible..... I mean, you just laughed. :lol:

Did I get it? Well for me, Dario clearly ran out of budget. In fact, the entire final sequence is just a mess in so many ways. An amazing anti-climax, almost scornful of the previous films.

Where was Asia's magic? There was none! She grabs a spear, somehow manages to put it under the Mothers dress, lift it over her head (over her arms!) and then dumps it onto a fire.... and that's it.... After all the talk of how powerful Asia was, all the investigation into it, all the Daria ghost sequences..... and in the end it comes to nothing..... bad.

By the way - that so called "shit" sequence at the end.... I thought that somehow tied into Phenomena to be honest.... what with the monkey and all......

If I can take a quote from the opening paragraph of that second review:

I think Dario seriously mis-calculated. Because assuming it IS a spoof - and not merely further evidence that Dario just doesn't have it in him to make a classic anymore - then he just capped off his trilogy in the most disrespectful and absurd way. Better he hadn't bothered - leaving us in fear of the Mother of Tears forever, than reveal her to be a disco dancer in a short red dress with glittery nail polish poured down the front. :D

What's really sad is that writing such as: ""what you see does not exist. What you cannot see is truth" is what passes for intellect these days. :(

I do agree however that if you're going to write a positive review of the film (and buck the trend), then the approach you've outlined is probably the only way to go. Admit up front that it's laugh-out-loud FUNNY, and then go on to point out the most funny bits as though Dario menat them to suck all along. :lol:

Seriously though - as with the two reviews you link to - the only way to write a positive review of this one is to somehow come up with some reasoning to explain how awful it is. It's intentional! It's a spoof! It makes for more interesting reading than it does film, imo.

ps: The monkey is awesome though.

17. marcx

marcx New Member

I AM SOOOO EXCITED!!!!

I have tix to go see it o Saturday--my first time seeing a new Argento in a theater! I cannot wait!

18. marcx

marcx New Member

I loved every second! It was awesome!

My only wish is for more use of outlandish color palates--there were hints of it but not the fll blown excess of suspiria or inferno...

Other than that it was stellar--great great camera work, lots of style (just not the asme styke as the 1st two...) Tons of gore, some good scares, and lots of fun...

I felt like I could feel Dario's grin while watching it...a balst fo rme!

19. killit

killit Active Member

Dwatts, regarding the laughter, you know that its delirium, right? youre not seriously defending that MOT is a spoof?

20. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Delirium? :D

The only delirium on evidence here was my own, at having made it through this terrible terrible film. Back-projection looked like advance technology than what we saw in that scene. I think maybe they were simply laughing at the fake set, the script, and at having got paid for spoofing actors. :D