Dario Argento's "The Three Mothers" [MERGED]

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Crystal Plumage, Dec 8, 2003.

1. marcx

marcx New Member

I am truly baffeld by the dislike for this film--no the tone may not be the equivalent of the 1st two--but this is clearly Argento just having a blast--and I found th emayhem infectious....

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

It's good you liked it, Marcx. Someone has to give it some love. I think you'll end up on the minority side - but there are still a lot of people waiting for it to come around their way on DVD.

If I had to use a word to describe Argento's mood when making this, I'd go for "slapdash". But each to their own. It's good it's got some fans at least.

3. marcx

marcx New Member

I don't think it's the full on farce some are seeing--but I do think it is self aware...

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I could see it Friday morning, a special "press screening". My involvement with local film festivals gets me invited to those things. But then I think, it will be a sunny morning, watching it in a nearly empty theater, with a handful of critics taking notes or tapping away on their laptops.

Instead I'll wait two weeks for the official opening. There will be a crowd of rabid Argento fans, it will be at night, and most of all, my money will be tracked as part of ticket sales. Every little bit helps...

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

When you'll be disturbed by the sound of weeping and laughter. :D

6. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

I was pretty shocked when I read the review for Mother of Tears in the new Entertainment Weekly. They gave it a B-, which is surprising judging from the massive amount of non love this film is getting. Also, they have been pretty hard on some good horror films in the past.

7. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I bought the UK DVD and went to see it a second time in theaters last weekend. I actually liked it more the second time. It has its faults...don't get me wrong...especially the silly looking cackling goth/anime witches who pretty much take you out of the movie every time you see them. But overall, I had a really good time with it.

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The CGI is just awful, especially the moment when the head appears for absolutely no reason in the wall (door? where the fuck ever. If you've seen it you know what I'm talking about). Really, the CGI from the 1999 remake of THE HAUNTING was better than what I see in this turd. I know that THE HAUNTING had a far higher budget to work with, but seriously, after a decade I expect better results at far cheaper costs.

9. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I saw it last weekend at the E-Street theater in D.C. and actually had a great time.It was only my second time catching an Argento in the theater (well,I saw TWO EVIL EYES which he codirected,during it's tiny U.S. run),which likely added to my enjoyment.As with much of Argento's work,it's nutty,but I thought it really moved.The cast was mixed.Asia actually has won two Italian ''Oscars" if you will,so the lady can act (in Italian) and she is competent in English.There's plenty of splatter,some odd CGI and a fair bit of nudity along the way(turns out that the ultimate evil sports very perky breasts).The score is a mix of gothic and electronic tracks.The film has several laughs(some intentional,some brought on by how off the wall it is),weird imagery(not as colorful as SUSPIRIA or INFERNO,but a brighter color scheme than Argento's post OPERA films),some genuinely clever ideas and an appearance by SUSPIRIA vet Udo Kier.In the end it's less dazzling than SUSPIRIA,less cryptic than INFERNO and perhaps bloodier than both.I wouldn't say it was Argento's best recent film but it may be the fastest paced.I found it cracked by very fun.
    Oh,as I recall Jessica Harper also laughed (at least grinned) at the end of SUSPIRIA,though not THIS much.

10. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I didn't like it. Argento's touch has been lost somewhere. Nice gore, but meh.

11. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Does anyone have info on the region 1 DVD release yet?

12. marcx

marcx New Member

Well the US theatrical release just opened on Friday-so no R1 dvd news yet...

I'm praying for Blu!

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Just an FYI, it's doing the "roadshow" thing, where it's hitting various arthouse theaters over the course of the next few weeks. I'm in the third stop of the tour, on June 27. I think a full list of theaters is available on the US website (too lazy to look it up now). My arthouse theater had a postcard with the summer rollout schedule.

14. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I agree with dwatts- this movie is a bad joke. Whether that is intentional or not only Dario knows.

An especially funny technical detail my girlfriend pointed out was:

Daria Nicolodi's character supposedly died when she was relatively young, but her ghost is pretty damn old. I didn't know ghosts aged.:lol:

That is just nit-picking of course, but all the scenes with Daria just made me cringe and chuckle uncomfortably. Along with a whole lot of other scenes in the film........

15. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

age is a mother....the worst mother of all.

16. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Yep,just received this mail from www.DVDUniverse.com:

17. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

US Release Schedule

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=5541

18. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

is it going to be a dimension extreme title since weinstein owns the rights?

19. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Gotcha beat...

20. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

Man, I wish I could get the 4th off, but I can't ask off any more time until after August.