Dario Argento's "The Three Mothers" [MERGED]

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Crystal Plumage, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I saw it tonight. I did not hate it. Thanks to all the bad reviews here, I was expecting the worst, and it's far from Argento's worst. I'd watch this over Phantom of the Opera, The Card Player, or Do You Like Hitchcock any day. A lot of dumb stuff
    Daria Nicolodi as Obi-Wan???
    , but I just watched Inferno recently, and there's quite a lot of nonsense in that film too. I was thinking, this would have been great with a few small re-writes of the script. But then, you could say that about a LOT of Argento's work, couldn't you?

Wish there was a bigger audience though...

2. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

3. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

4. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Horrible cover art, but then again, this is Dimension we're talking about.

5. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Its not too bad, I was expecting worse. Much worse...

6. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, that cover art needs some work - and blazing "unrated" over it, when to my knowledge nothing was ever cut, is a sad bit of marketing.

7. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

The cover isn't great. From all your comments though I was expecting worse.

8. marcx

marcx New Member

Actually I heard the italian theatrical release was cut...

9. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

10. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Just curious,how many of you guys have seen the film in a theater,either in the States or abroad ?

11. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Twice (it played here for a week)

Not horrible, it had it's moments, other things could have been done better. See my previous comments.

13. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Went to visit a friend in D.C.,caught it while I was in town,in fact I double billed it with Stuart Gordon's STUCK which was playing at the same theater.Enjoyed them both.

14. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

At about the 1 hour 20 minute mark, the film started to gel. We finally got some color-play, a sense of terror crept in, and then it dissipated into the ending, which according to some of the linked reviews earlier, was far too meta for my brain. I can accept that.

The music had its moments but choreographed every scene. It was obvious I was supposed to find scenes very intense, because the music told me. Asia Argento, playing "Sarah Mandy" (come on!), stumbled her way through this, and her character's "concentrating powers" recalled Troll 2.

:joshua: "Concentrate! Harder!"

But back to the stumbling: it was pretty funny that Asia always ended up in heels when she was given chase. My favorite part of the movie--I can't help it--was when Sara Mandy witnessed some crazy entrails-spillage, turned and tiptoed away, and had to take of her heels before being chased by a monkey. Like, shit! Monkeys and women in these films.

When it began, I was sure Argento had made a goofy, 80s Satanic romp--the film opens to a cheap-looking construction crew creating and falling into a hole in the earth where they find the secret, satanic witch urn!--but it was just as tedious as it was gorey. The first kill is so over-the-top that it's hard not to believe the parody angle. But gore! The gore was all the time turned up to 10 (or 11), but it never desensitized. It surprised me a few times.

I think it's a film that will always be better in the recollection.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  15. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I just watched this again last night. It gets better and better each time I see it.

16. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I liked it A LOT!! Best Argento film in years!

17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I really enjoyed it. His best film? Not hardly, but still quite entertaining.

18. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I thought it was pretty entertaining....I sort of went into it the way I did LAND OF THE DEAD, not expecting anything approaching the earlier movies. It's not great by any means, and has some goofy moments, and I agree with those who say it has way more in common with his recent efforts than SUSPIRIA or INFERNO, but it's certainly worth a rental, and it's not the worst thing he's ever done.

19. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I only saw this two nights ago. Guess I postponed it because the bad word of mouth made me nervous ... so honestly, I didn't get my hopes up too much.

So what did I think? I thought it was absolutely, perfectly awful. Definitely my least favorite Argento film so far. At least Phantom had a story that progressed. There was nothing remarkable in this mess, except for the sheer badness of it all. Dwatts's description of the film was spot on in my opinion. A career low for all involved, truly, heartbreakingly embarrassing at times. Even Argento's Masters of Horror episodes were better (at least they were shorter) and if those and this are indicative of what is to expect from the man in the future ... well, let's just say that the future is not bright.

The anticlimax is one of the most terrible things I've ever seen. Argento tries (unsuccessfully) to build up a climax featuring Mater Lachrymarum (who is such a non-entity in this film) and then has the whole thing over with in about 2 minutes. Asia whips off a short dress and she loses her powers? So she only has powers in that dress? Why on earth?! And I loved it that Lachrymarum addresses Sarah when she appears, as if they were age-old nemesis, but then Argento does nothing with it.

I have so much anger towards this film. Especially after going through this whole thread - I was sooooo excited about the film and Argento completely, and apparently wilfully, blew it. I was going to lay all the blame on the American co-writes (I mean, couldn't they AT LEAST have made some of the dialogue make sense and sound like .. words uttered by real humans?) but all in all, this was Argento's baby. His show, his conclusion to a beloved "trilogy". He called the shots and as far as I'm concerned, he's just not capable anymore. Maybe he's senile? I don't know. If his heart is really into it these days, the talent has clearly been vanquished because this was just unforgivably bad.

20. Novosibirsk

Novosibirsk Member

Udo was great for the maybe five seconds he was in it!