"Dark Night of the Scarecrow" on an official DVD...

Discussion in 'General' started by MrVess, Aug 22, 2008.

1. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

You gotta be kiddin me! Another interlaced transfer???? Well it is VCI, so it was predictable. Kinda wished another label released it. And the fact the filmmakers tinkered with the film is bothersome. BTW, is there major combing effects because it's interlaced??

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yep, it is indeed Interlaced as confirmed with PowerDVD. There is some combing I noticed in several scenes, but not terribly bad.

This is like the month of the Interlaced DVD releases! :(

3. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

So does this mean we can now offcially complain to VCI for screwing up one of the most anticipated release of the year? :mad

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

If the only way you can tell if a film is interlaced or progressive is by running a program, then it can't be all that bad. Me, I've never noticed the difference. But then, the highest my tv runs is 1080i so it doesn't matter all that much to me.

5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

What's with all these interlaced transfers coming about lately? I thought interlaced was a thing of the past?

6. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Man, you're complaining already about this release all because of interlacing. It depends on what TV/DVD player you have. I have a Coby DVD player in my room and I haven't noticed a single interlacing line on some of my DVDs.

7. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Interlaced, progressive, who gives a shit. The movie is FINALLY on DVD. That's all that matters to me and it looks just fine.

8. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Interlaced has never been a big deal to me...I can't tell the difference.

9. Katatonia

I said it was confirmed with a program, not that I couldn't tell otherwise playing it on an HDTV. Just playing it was pretty much enough to have suspicions that it was Interlaced from the combing in some scenes.

You won't be able to notice it on an antiquated CRT TV.

10. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

If you have a player that can properly make the image progressive (ie, a PS3), you won't even notice it. The only time I ever notice whether a DVD is interlaced anymore is if I stick it in my PC and start to take screen shots with VLC for a review.

And yeah, I have a 1080p HDTV with my PS3 upconverting to that standard. While I totally notice interlaced discs in my Philips region-free player, it's a thing of the past with my PS3 and it's why that's my go-to player unless something is region-locked.

11. Katatonia

It should be, unless the transfer is so utterly crappy that it wouldn't benefit (i.e. a degraded VHS transfer). Progressive-encoded DVD's have been around since the beginning, and even Warner/Paramount/Universal/MGM DVD's released back in 1997 were almost always Progressive (even the non-anamorphic ones).

As Don May of Synapse and others have stated, it costs not a cent more to flag a DVD with a progressive encode during the DVD authoring process. All that basically has to be done is to hit an extra button and flag it for Progressive. There's really no excuse anymore for something as simple as that not being done in 2010.

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah I was gonna say, I have some interlaced DVDs and when playing them on my PS3, I can never tell that they're actually interlaced. That's why I went ahead and ordered the new Madman DVD. I figure fuck it, it'll be OOP pretty soon anyway, and since I can't notice interlacing when playing discs in my PS3, I might as well get it now. It was like $22 shipped from DVD Empire. Not horrible.

Can't wait to watch Madman, though. On a 46" Samsung, haha it's gonna look like a shit blurry mess. Oh well, at least it's anamorphic.

The only real problem I can see with interlacing is not the combing, but the lack of resolution (which I guess is a side effect of the combing technique). I bought the Alliance blu-ray of A Hard Day's Night and that's in 1080i. There's no combing noticeable, but the film could stand to look a lot sharper with a proper 1080p blu-ray release. Hopefully someone does one soon.

~Matt

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  13. Just got the DVD in the mail this morning from Amazon.The quality is top notch,interlacing doesn't seem a problem to me.But I'm watching it through my blu-ray player.Handy too that VCI made it a region free disc so anyone importing it to europe will be able to watch it just fine.The original network promo is also a treat.Loved watching this movie again.Now I can get rid of my vhs transfer :) Happy times

14. Zombie Dude

It seems a bit poor of companies to do this if it is so easily avoided.

15. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

I've been posting here for years and still don't know what interlaced, pan and scan, and what certain aspect ratios are suppose to look like. I just really care about full screen/widescreen and anamorphic/non-anamorphic. If it's great horror that I can watch any time I want, I'm buying it!

16. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Pan and scan is when a movie is cropped from widescreen (16:9) back to fullscreen (4:3). Most of the time, because of this you lose valuable information so false camera movements are created so for as not to lose that information. (i.e. false "pan and scan" movements are created). Pan and scan is another form of fullscreen, but don't confuse it with open matte 4:3. Pan and scan transfers are taken from films that are already widescreen, whereas open matte transfers are when the matting is simply removed in order to create a 4:3 image.

The best and simplest way of understanding interlacing is that when a film is encoded, basically the image is made up of lines of video, which you can think of as being numbered. Interlacing is when all the even numbers are shown, followed by the odd numbers. This happens very fast. With 24 frames per second, interlacing happens 48 times per second. Progressive is when all the lines of a frame are shown at once (this, no "combing" is evident). This, obviously, happens 24 times per second.

And in terms of aspect ratios: They're most easily understood in reference to a 16:9 TV. Because, if you take 16 and divide it by 9, you get 1.7777777 onto infinity. Rounded, you get 1.78 (with 1.78:1 being the default ratio of a 16:9 TV). Therefore, a 16:9 TV shows you what aspect ratio a film is in relation to 1.78:1. Therefore, 1.78:1 is when a film image fills the entirety of the frame, with no black bars anywhere. 1.85:1 is very similar to 1.78, except now there would be very very thin black bars on the top and bottom of the frame. 1.33:1, when displayed on a 16:9 TV, has thick black bars on the sides of the frame (creating a 4:3 look in the image - again, divide 4 by 3 and you get 1.33333...). 1.66:1 also has black bars on the side of the image, but they're about half as thick as the bars on 1.33. Scope ratios like 2.35:1 (commonly 2.4:1 - especially with Warner) have thick black bars on the top and bottom of the frame, with other scope ratios (such as 2.55:1, 2.89:1, etc) just having thicker and thicker bars on the top and bottom of the frame.

Hopefully this helps.

~Matt

17. EzFreeze

EzFreeze Guest

As a professional DVD author, I'd like to chime in on the "easy-ness" of making a DVD progressive.

It is not just a check box. The master has to be progressive and a lot of smaller companies, mine included, transfer film to Digital Betacam masters for restoring films and then encoding them for DVD release. It is not because the company is being "cheap"...it is an industry standard medium for Standard Def releases like this one.

Yes, the major studios do release most of their content as progressive, they have more money...but you also won't see them releasing movies like this one. It's not worth their time, b/c they won't sell MILLIONS of copies. So, please consider that when you are bashing the little independent companies out there who are trying to get quality DVD's of cult films onto DVD for fans like you. I've seen this DVD release, and for a made-for-TV movie from the early 80's, I think it looks great!

ps. most of the DVD players produced in the past 5 years, especially with HDMI outputs, will up-convert. To the person complaining so much about interlacing, you might consider buying a new DVD player or a different HDTV if it bugs you that much. Just sayin'.

18. Zombie Dude

Interesting to know. Thanks for the input :)

19. springjack

springjack New Member

I have this dvd for a week now and can confirm it looks great for a tv movie.

Like I always say... better be interlaced than to have nothing at all.
    ________
    Terrorism Insurance Advice

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  20. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

If you want a good example of what interlaced video looks like watch an interlaced DVD in VLC, the program will not perform de-interlacing unless you tell it to (at least in the version I have, I've been avoiding the newer versions because I don't like some of the changes...) and it will become really obvious fast.