"Dark Night of the Scarecrow" on an official DVD...

Discussion in 'General' started by MrVess, Aug 22, 2008.

1. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

Glad to hear this looks good. I ordered a copy yesterday. Never seen the movie before... but it was recommended by a couple friends of mine. Looking forward to checking it out shortly after it gets here. :)

2. springjack

springjack New Member

You can?t get wrong with this one.

Both the movie and the remastering are good.
    ________
    Medical marijuana grow

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  3. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

Ohhhhhh, that does clear alot of things up. Thanks!

4. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

5. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

VCL should get with the times. The promo ad on the disc appeared horribly dated, and I don't mean the content. It was the way it was presented and put together, like watching some bargain underground DVD release ten years ago :eek:

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

It is the original promo from when it aired on television in 1981. It is dated.

7. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Naw, I meant some VCL promo ad with different titles, not the one for Dark Night of the Scarecrow.

8. They remastered the film from its original negative.Also a new audio and commentary,and released it on DVD for the first time ever to it's fans.Is that not enough for you?

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Hellbilly wasn't saying the DNOTS disc content was "dated", they were talking about the VCI promo reel (for other VCI films) that runs before the disc goes to the main menu...

10. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

My review of VCI's Dark Night of the Scarecrow (1981) from over at Oh, The Horror!

Highly recommended disc, guys. Light on extras, but the transfer is pretty impressive.

An essential flick to watch this time of year, for sure.

11. Im aware of that

12. Katatonia

That's good to know.

13. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised so many are having issues with interlaced transfers and stand-alone DVD or Blu-ray players. What kind of DVD players are you guys using? Both my Oppo 971H and BDP-83 do a tremendous job of deinterlacing. Combing is never an issue. And 90% of the time, sharpness isn't affected either. You'll only see a discernible reduction in sharpness during fast motion or faster pans.

I can understand why interlaced action movies present a serious problem. With constant motion, the blurring effect of deinterlacing gets tiresome. And I certainly agree that progressive transfers should be the standard. But as others mention above, this is a disc that has very limited popular appeal for the general public. So why would anyone spend the money for a Gone With The Wind quality restoration?

Interlacing definitely sucks if you do the bulk of your viewing on a PC. I've yet to find a media player that deinterlaces as effectively as either of my stand-alone players. But if you're watching on a TV with a good DVD player, is it really that noticeable?

The bottom line for me is that I'm very pleased with this transfer. And I'm thrilled that someone finally thought enough of this film to give it a legitimate DVD release. I can finally discard the bootleg VHS rip I've been watching for years.

I'm truly curious. What kind of stand-alone equipment is giving you guys problems?

14. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Watched this last night...
    I may have seen it before but it would have been many years ago and, as such, though the film seemed somewhat familiar, the surprises were still intact. Quite a good film considering its made for TV origins- Smartly crafted and reasonably well acted. The PQ is fantastic as well, a shockingly great transfer for a film of its age and origin.

15. SynapseFilms

SynapseFilms Guest

Not only that, but I know the director personally and he went to great pains to restore the film in HD! His master certainly wasn't interlaced. I wonder if he's even aware of this issue... too bad. We talked for many weeks about doing this and almost came to a deal. He told us that the actual owner of the license was friends with the folks at VCI and that's why it went to them instead of us. (sigh)... We would've done it right.

16. FilmFiend

FilmFiend New Member

Interlaced or not I will be buying this eventually. I haven't seen it since the 80s , so it will be pretty much a new film to me since I don't hardly remember it.

17. Katatonia

Thanks for the info Don. If someone asks me again if a DVD transfer is Interlaced or Progressive, I'll just plead the fifth. :D

The Dark Night of the Scarecrow DVD is indeed still very nice, and I would urge all here to buy it. I applaud the restoration work, and the film certainly looks better than it ever has before now. Perhaps one day we'll see a Blu-ray release in 1080p.

18. TheDreamMaster

TheDreamMaster New Member

Well, I cancelled my order with DDD and ordered this from Amazon, who has it in stock. Looking forward to giving it a look.

19. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

This was an awesome film. I thought it looked pretty darn good. Nice performances all around.

20. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

Me too...just called DD a few minutes ago and cancelled my order. I picked it up on eBay instead.