Dark Shadows TV Series Comes To DVD (Entire Series Set)

Discussion in 'General' started by Shawn Francis, Jan 21, 2012.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

:lol:

I know it may seem weird (or maybe not) but there's been a LOT of advancements in television production in the last half century. And yes, that even includes soap operas. A modern production simply could never get away with being as slapdash as Dark Shadows was 40+ years ago. But that's a lot of it's charm. ;)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  2. startide

startide Member

I read your description of Dark Shadows - which pretty much summed up every soap I've seen in the last 25 years.

In addition to that, Bold is very popular here in Australia, which means that over the last 10 years or so I've seen numerous cast members interviewed, news stories (yes, news stories!!) and behind the scenes stuff on a number of local TV shows (on the same network it airs) and what you described - that's what happens. Yes, the acting has obviously improved, they don't stuff up their lines much any more, and maybe the production values have changed a little, but in terms of how it's shot, they basically do one take and move on, and honestly, second takes are rare. True, that is all based on Bold observation, but if they operate like that, I imagine the production on the others (Days, Young and the Restless, etc) is very similar. Not to mention that Bold is only half an hour, the others I've seen (including the dearly departed Passions) are full hour shows and they shoot five episodes a week. I can only imagine those shooting schedules!!

So I've never seen Dark Shadows, but based on what I've seen and heard, things haven't progressed as much as you think.

I was just thinking about Passions the other day in fact, wondering if it had been released on DVD (it hasn't), but thought better of it. There's only so much Tabitha and Timmy you can take, and I imagine watching Dark Shadows back to back wouldn't be that different. Not that I was a Passions devotee (it was more memories of it on Buffy, TBH), but I think the idea of soaps on DVD is more appealing that the reality. How people can watch each episode over the course of a week amazes me. The bits of Bold I see are mind numbingly boring, though I can certainly see why they're addictive. :eek:

3. maybrick

Actually, soaps have progressed EXACTLY as much as I think and you've pretty much summed up the ways that they have. It is you who is reading way more into what I've said than what I intended, otherwise you would have dropped it by now. Yes, I agree many of the problems Dark Shadows has are common with soap operas in general. But ultimately, SO WHAT? Does that automatically make my observations any less valid to a person who has never bothered to watch a soap opera before until deciding to check out this show? I'm not trying to compare it to other soaps, I merely described what Dark Shadows was like. I'm sorry my short description didn't meet your approval. :rolleyes:

Again, get back to me once you've actually watched Dark Shadows.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  4. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Dark Shadows - Fan Favorites (180 minutes; $14.98 SRP) Mmmmm I was thinking that's like what 4 episodes or something. No way that will do this show any justice at all. Kind of a waste of money buying that unless I'm wrong. Anybody have any additional info on these sets?

5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i know next to nothing about the show, but i was thinking the same thing. at 20 minutes a show, that's six episodes. six, out of 1200. about as comprehensive as a highlight reel. not something i'd spend money on. if it's anything like the other soaps i've seen (my mom watched Y&R for a few years when i was growing up - one tv in the house meant i watched it a lot too), then it's kind of necessary to watch several consecutive episodes to really get any kind of mileage out of it.

6. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Yeah buying this would be like throwing a hot dog into a cave.

7. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

:lol: i have NO idea what that means!

8. deepred

deepred Member

Hysterical! Me either but I know I will use it the next time I want to make someone scratch their head. LOL

9. ZoSo

ZoSo The Fucking King

It's USUALLY a term used when referring to sexual intercourse with a "loose" woman, but here it makes no sense. :)

10. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

11. DVDBone

DVDBone Member

I bought the limited edition set when it first came as a complete blind buy. I was born in the late 70s so I really had no experience with the show as a kid. I'm 76 eps in (watching at least 1 a night) and I have to say that I'm enjoying the hell out of it. There's no spooky vampires or even really any ghosts yet but the drama between the Collins' family and Burke Devlin make for some captivating TV. Of course it's a soap opera so things are drawn out a bit too long but I haven't regretted the purchase yet. I'll let you know my final thoughts in ~3 years when I get through the remaining 1,150 episodes ...

12. maybrick

I was born in the 70s as well but I had seen the show as a kid. When you were born makes absolutely no difference. Dark Shadows was rerun much like any other old program. You just had to be in the right place at the right time.

13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

14. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Guess who's getting the complete set for christmas from their parents? Yay me!!!!

15. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Five Years Later....

Some
    of the epsidoes are on Amazon Prime, in case anyone cares. It seems like what they list The Beginning: Collection 1 as well as Collection 1 separately, with The Beginning being the actual 1966-1967 season. Of course, they only have a small portion of them free with Prime, the rest you have to buy separately.

Or, just start later in 1967 for Collection 1 and get a lot more free episodes to stream.

Did any purchasers of the set on here make it all the way through yet?

16. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

I'm still making my way through the Beginning part of the show yet but I just started a couple of months ago, I have yet to get to the Barnabas part of the series yet but I have seen quite a few of them in the past so I know what to expect. Such a mammoth set:eek: This is going to take a while to get through.

Myron Breck likes this.
  17. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I own the set and we totally bing watched the first year ish. It started off really good. The most popular years are when Barnabas was introduced. We watched a good amount of those episodes too. Still really good. But then came a lot of filler episodes to stretch for time. Also some silly story lines so we stopped for a while. We keep going back to it but still have yet to dive head first as we are still on a not so good storyline right now.

Myron Breck likes this.
  18. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I remember watching a few episodes, back in the early 80:s.
    But I can't remember much. Have some memories about a werewolf showing up, and some other spooky shit.

I don't know if I have the patience to watch the show from the beginning, since there are an insane amount of episodes to go through.
    And I'm also not a fan of soap-operas.

But how many episodes/seasons, before the monsters shows up?
    And which seasons are actually worth watching?

19. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I went ahead an bought the set (the 2nd edition)! So, so weak....