DARKMAN, THE BEAST WITHIN, CRAWLSPACE, SATURN 3 & More from Shout Factory in December

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by bruce h, Aug 30, 2013.

1. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

this movie is really forgettable , galaxy of terror and forbidden world is way better.. and more entertaining.. who cares..

2. thing

thing Well-Known Member

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

4. ronnie21

dvd drive-in seems to get all these releases early..

5. thing

thing Well-Known Member

6. Katatonia

7. ronnie21

not to be nitpicky, but crawlspace was filmed in October of 1985... not 86.

8. Katatonia

A lot of places just go by the theatrical release date, not when it was actually filmed. Crawlspace was released in May 1986.

9. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Remember this: I warned you.

The Beast Within is one of the WORST movies I have seen in years. I fuckin' hate it. With a passion. It looks like shit, throughout. The acting is shit. The writing is PAINFUL shit. The dialogue is horrendously painful shit. It's logically-deficient. The special effects are terrible. The characters are idiotic and extremely unrealistic. And whether it could be mistaken for being puritanical or trying to document the evils of puritanicalness in others- it fails. Hard.

And it starts out with a genuinely sexist rape scene. I would actually hesitate to call the molestation / rape scenes in both Humongous (this film's clear superior in every way, though still markedly bad in its own right) and Silent Night, Deadly Night sexist before this entirely, offensively unnecessary rape scene. Which, by virtue of being so badly handled thematically, I consider genuinely offensive.

Watching this movie was one of the biggest wastes of my time in years. Because of bothering with this, I missed And Soon the Darkness, Lifeforce, Phantasm III, and others I'll likely remember later.

10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

God, it's not that bad at all. I thought it had a very Grindhouse feel to it, a lot like The Pit. I never went into this expecting great acting or clever dialogue; it's an old 80's film after all. I expected something corny and though this is much more mean spirited than I expected, I found myself enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. I even think the Nighttime scenes are lit really nice and give a good atmosphere to the film.

I respect that you don't like the film and I'm not saying it's great but I do think you're going a bit over-the-top with how bad it is.

11. DVD-fanatic-9

Oh, it is every bit that-bad. I refuse to back down on this one- it is one of the worst movies I've seen in years. Flat-out. Frankly, if anyone remembers the royal fit I threw over Humanoids from the Deep? Well, that actually at least worked when it came to the FX, the look of the film, and viciousness of the attack scenes. This piece of shit failed at almost everything it did. Every last thing.

Now... I admit that I take certain films with certain subject matters and tones and grievous errors more seriously than others. I wouldn't say mean-spirited myself. If you saw it that way, you may be onto something. If it was mean spirited for you, I can't contest that. But to me, preachy is closer to the grand prize. I believe it was trying to deal with small town corruption and hick / rednecks, if I remember correctly. But the characterization was so obtuse - I'm guessing the intent behind that was to just make anyone getting in the way of the protagonist the biggest assholes in the subgenre - that whatever hope for exploring prejudice was stamped out from minute 1.

Someone on this movie wanted to say something and they fucking blew it. Big time. To the point where I was clearly being insulted for trying to invest in the story, characters, etc. At every turn, this thing spit in my face. In a way I would not describe as mean-spirited. Self-serving, yes. Even calling it frustrating to sit through is the kind of understatement I can't make- this pissed me off. A lot.

12. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

DVD-fanatic-9 exaggerates a lot. The Beast Within is a fun 80's horror film.

13. DVD-fanatic-9

Incorrect.

14. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I would have enjoyed THE BEAST WITHIN if the main actor hadn't sucked so hard. He made it impossible for me to get swept up into the film.

DVD-fanatic-9, good to see you back. You tend to get overly critical when a film has a rape scene or misogyny.

15. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

thanks for the warning. I must admit, you're posts have reminded me a lot of my feelings after watching it. I remember almost nothing about it, although I do recall that there was a rape scene at the beginning, and that I was fairly put off by it. but I do remember that I didn't respond well to the film in general. that knowledge isn't diminishing my desire to revisit it, though, which makes no sense, but that's just the way it is....

I do remember that. :D

Where have you been? You disappeared about 10 days into the October film tracking thread. Nice to see you back.

16. ronnie21

beast within always holds a place for me. since I first seen it in spring of 83 when we first got cable...

17. Zombie Dude

No kidding :lol: I watched it with my girlfriend and we both didn't mind it. I thought it was pretty cool.

18. DVD-fanatic-9

Don't you get started in all of this. Just because certain viewers don't react to things the writer-director clearly intended to be picked up on (or, maybe he thought this would all slip under the radar- though I don't see how), does not mean their lack of interpretation is proof there's nothing to interpret. That's redundant but, fact is, this movie had something to say. I think it's only fair to TRY and process that thing when a writer cares enough about it to make it a recurring theme but, again, this movie is an intellectual dead-end. But it's not fun. Tonally, it couldn't be more overbearing. Again: preachy. Just because you or Twister or whoever didn't pick up on that doesn't mean a thing. I'm not saying I see everything but this is an easy movie to understand. And it's fucking crap. Obviously, that doesn't mean anyone can't enjoy it. But I am in no way exaggerating this movie. Just pay attention to it. Process what the characters are saying and that the dialogue is revolving around a theme.

19. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

20. Zombie Dude

Is it that there is a gay theme/undertone that is reflected in a negative light in the film; is that what upsets you? It's still not as bad as you make out.