Darling (2016, New B&W Horror)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

From producer of The Innkeepers and The House of the Devil:

Trailer:

Release:
    Select theaters April 1; VOD April 8

Via AV Club:

satans-sadists, Fistfuck and buck135 like this.
  2. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Wow. That looks amazing! This is definitely high on my list of must-sees now.

3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Thanks for posting this Workshed. I'm sold. Blu-ray day one purchase. Sean Young looks great still.

Workshed likes this.
  4. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

This came out of left field. Looks fantastic!

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Looks pretty good, although the vibe I get is very similar to 2012's I Am a Ghost, which also featured one female character alone in a haunted house for most of the film. Here's the trailer for that one (which I highly recommend, btw):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Workshed and zbinks like this.
  6. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

This is now streaming on Netflix for those who are interested.

Myron Breck and DVD-fanatic-9 like this.
  7. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Yes.

Holy shit, ScreenMedia- haven't heard that name in a while. I have one of their DVD's. Which I bought in the Wal-mart bargain bin. When I used to shop the Wal-mart bargain bin. Regularly. Over a decade ago.

Until the old-timey song came in and clichéd this up, this looked better than House of the Devil and at least as good as Frances Ha. I will definitely be checking this out. Soon.

8. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Finally saw this on Netflix tonight - RUN NOW AND WATCH IT!

It was really outstanding in every respect. Creepy, scary, atmospheric, and visually compelling. It was a bit slow moving, but never dull, and beautiful to watch at all times. The lead actress really did an amazing job with her facial expressions.

othervoice1 likes this.
  9. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Added it to my watch queue - - right now it shows only one star so somebody didnt like it! I loved House of the Devil and The Innkeepers

10. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

I saw this a couple months back. I loved the cinematography and the obvious Polanski influences, but honestly this movie fell flat for me. It was way too pretentious for the premise and in the end not a whole lot actually happened in the plot. Could have been great if the plot was as polished as the visuals.

11. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

I was browsing Netflix last night and stopped on this for about 10 mins. I also saw the one-star review and that kind of put me off. But I enjoyed House of the Devil so I think I'll give this a shot. Come to think of it, I should watch HOTD again too.

m@ggot and othervoice1 like this.
  12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Just saw this on DVD and enjoyed it quite a bit. It doesn't re-invent horror, but hey, it's not found footage or a remake. There's a couple of tricks it relies on a little too often for scares (those of you who've seen it know exactly what I'm talking about), but there's definitely a lot of "unknown" in this movie, and what is horror but "fear of the unknown"? Some things get resolved and explained, others are not. I kinda like that in my horror. Definitely recommended.

othervoice1 likes this.
  13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Bumping this thread, as I just saw Pod, the previous film from writer/director Mickey Keating. I don't think it's worthy of it's own thread though.

He's definitely improving as a filmmaker; I disliked Ritual, but enjoyed Darling very much. Pod sits somewhere in between. It combines a government conspiracy plot with a monster-in-the-basement, and not everything falls into place (similar to Darling, but I think the surreal nature of Darling suits the ambiguity a little better). I do like Keating's favorite leading lady, Lauren Ashley Carter, if anything for her less-than-perfect appearance yet she's still strikingly attractive.

I'll definitely check out more of Keating's work as it gets released.

14. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Have to say, I'm intrigued by this Mickey Keating guy. He's made 5 movies in the past 5 years, and he's still in his 20s. Impressive! But are his movies?

The only one I've seen is Ritual and I thought it was terrible, to be honest. Since then, he's made Pod, Darling, and Carnage Park, none of which I've seen but all are available on the various streaming services (NetFlix, Prime, etc).

His latest movie Psychopaths is released on DVD tomorrow (January 2nd) and is currently $9.96 via Amazon and Wal-Mart.

[​IMG]

So what's the overall opinion of Mickey Keating's filmography so far? And is anyone planning on checking out Psychopaths?

15. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yea on Pod and Darling, nay on Rituals and Carnage Park. Still, he's done enough to make me want to see Psychopaths.

16. CPT HOOK

Picked up Psychopaths on DVD today. Also still need to see Carnage Park, which is in my NetFlix queue.

I did catch up with Pod and Darling though.

Pod didn't quite work for me as a whole, but I will admit there's some pretty great stuff in there.

Darling was an imitation of an art-house film, miming imagery and ideas of superior films but having nothing interesting to say. I found it quite hollow, although occasionally interesting to look at.

Carnage Park and Psychopaths look way more my speed. I especially like the idea of Psychopaths, a slasher anthology taking place over one night in Los Angeles. It sounds like a mumblecore The Centerfold Girls. Looking forward to giving the disc a spin.

17. CPT HOOK

Okay, all caught up now.

Carnage Park is by far his most accomplished, stylish, and entertaining film so far. It's pretty fun, and Ashley Bell is terrific. That said, it's pretty inconsequential and nothing you haven't seen before.

Psychopaths was a major letdown. Poorly paced and structured. The camera holds way too long on performances, often at the expense of the movie and the actor. There's a phone call scene with a minor plot point that goes on for what seems like five minutes when it could have been done in 30 seconds. Jeremy Gardner especially embarrasses himself in his over-the-top performance. The exception here was Ashley Bell, who is not only terrific but is engaging enough to hold the long takes. Angela Trimbur is also quite good and restrained here. Those two alone could have carried the film, but unfortunately their screentime is rather limited.

But worst of all, the movie doesn't go anywhere. From the beginning of the film to the end of the film, nothing has changed. As the end credits rolled, I was left thinking... so what?

Now that Mickey-Keating-thon is over, what have I learned? Honestly, not much. The Fessenden cameos are always fun, but none of his movies really left much of an impression. In fact, they're all pretty... hollow? If nothing else, Carnage Park and Psychopaths are both great showcases for the amazingly talented Ashley Bell. Casting agents should be beating down her door.