Darren Aronofsky’s Mother! (2017)

Discussion in 'General' started by Hatchetwarrior, May 15, 2017.

1. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

mother!
    will be in theaters on October 13th.

[​IMG]

MorallySound and dave13 like this.
  2. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

dupe thread BUMP

3. Workshed

That film poster is by artist James Jean, btw, best known for his work on the covers for the excellent comics series Fables.

ex:

[​IMG]

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I'll turn out for anything Aronofsky, but of course a horror film is really intriguing. I loved Black Swan so I'm very keen to see this.

Also I don't get hung up on Jennifer Lawrence like some people seem to plus Michelle Pfeiffer is always a boon.

5. Hatchetwarrior

Good News, the release date has been bumped up to September 15th! :D

6. Hatchetwarrior

teaser. The official trailer is set to drop on August 8th.

7. Hatchetwarrior

8. Hatchetwarrior

The trailer is here!

9. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I was sold at Aronofsky. Day one purchase, though I may skip viewing it in the theater.

10. Workshed

Looks freaktastic, like a mix of Rosemary's Baby and The Others?

11. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Anyone else see this yet? I saw it last night. Not straight up horror, though there are plenty of horrific images. Very thought-provoking but I think ultimately it's just pretentious, self-important "art." But a lot of reviews are proclaiming its brilliance and it is very well made with some great performances so I'd still recommend seeing it.

12. Workshed

I'm reading reports of multiple walk-outs, which makes me all the more curious.

Myron Breck and buck135 like this.
  13. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Yeah I can see a lot of people walking out during one scene towards the end. I don't think we lost anyone at my screening, but there were only like 5 other people there to begin with. I don't think anyone is going to be quite prepared for how weird this thing gets.

buck135 likes this.
  14. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

I wasn't all that interested until I read this...

buck135 likes this.
  15. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Looks like a divisive one. It has a 69% FRESH rating on Rotton Tomatoes but an "F" on Cinemascores. Seems like critics are liking it more than general audiences. Of course the director is hardly Mr. Mainstream so his fans will not be surprised to find that the film is...unusual.

16. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

Caught this last night. Still trying to digest it all to be honest. It was honestly one of the strangest films I've seen in quite some time. Especially theatrically.

The entire movie is symbolism. Religious symbolism to be more specific. Some parts more subtle than others (Kane and Abel, anyone?)

My jaw was wide open and my eyes were even wider at some points. The entire film felt like a nightmare of an acid trip.

I think I fucking loved it. I'll let you know for sure later when I finally wrap my head around everything lol

buck135 likes this.
  17. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Oh man, I loved this!

I can see people being disappointed. Mainly because the trailer is more than a bit misleading. As others here have mentioned, this is not a horror film. If anything, I might even call it a comedy more than anything else, albeit a very weird, dark, and poetic one. It felt like an idea that Bunuel would have had.

I caught on with the Cain and Abel reference that this was the Bible interpreted as a horror story, and Him as God, so pretty quickly a lot of the horrific images turned into incredibly clever jokes. And I do mean that in a very good way. But, I did keep wondering how the film would feel if I hadn't caught on to that. Would it be more nightmarish?

I could see people arguing that it's pretentious, but I found it immensely interesting, humorous, original, and fun. But, this is definitely for those who are fans of Aronofsky. It's more for those who liked The Fountain and Noah. And, I loved The Fountain and 3/4s of Noah.

The only complaint I have is that I am a getting a bit bored of the "follow the back of the head' shots that Aronofsky has been using over and over again. Granted, it did work really well here. And I have to admit that it is an incredibly effective technique that he's built up. But, this is the third film he's used that in and I just want to see him break away from it. He's one of the best visualists working today and I do prefer it more when he's letting that side show.

I will also add that I was really hoping that we would also get a new score from Clint Mansell, so I also slightly bummed that there wasn't that. :)

That said, I'm going to recommend this highly as I do think it's an incredibly original film and very entertaining. But, manage expectations and just go along with the ride.

buck135 likes this.
  18. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Well, the title is certainly apt. The film is
    designed to aggravate the viewer to the edge of insanity (or beyond).
    One part
    Neighbors (the John Belushi film)
    and one part
    Martyrs.
    The symbolism
    is a clever disguise, intended to draw the viewer in to try to solve the film's mysteries, but will instead draw the viewer in for a repeat of the aggravation.
    It's a brilliant
    joke on Aronofsky's part, one he wants to play on you over and over again.
    "Mother!"
    is the intended reaction Aronofsky is seeking from the audience, thus the exclamation point.

Is it a horror film? Yes, it's disturbing, unsettling, but most of all,
    irritating.

Is it a comedy? Yes,
    but only if you're in on the joke and even then it's the cruelest, blackest comedy.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    chancetx likes this.
  19. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Yeah, I've heard nothing but terrible reviews. I'll probably catch it later this week when I have some time off! :D

20. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

It's a shame this film is coming out as such a flop at the box office. I can certainly understand the reactions of audiences and critics as 1) this is a really polarizing film and 2) it's being marketed very inaccurately. It really shouldn't have had the wide release in the theaters. I think if if had opened small, like "It Follows", word of mouth would have spread and it probably would have found the audience it deserves and people would have been more prepared for it and probably been able to like it more. And, admittedly, if it hadn't starred Lawrence, it probably wouldn't have gotten the wide release at all. And her filmography may also be to this films detriment in terms of audience expectations. Though, I would have loved to be sitting next to some Hunger Games fans during this.

I also think it's film that gets better after a good amount of time and thought. There are so many ways to take the metaphors and narrative, that the more distance I get from my original interpretation, the more enamored I am with the film.

It's certainly not for everyone. Those expecting some conventional horror story will probably be infuriated. Those who sat there debating whether to see "It" or this, will probably regret that decision if they really thought that these might somehow be equal or similar. But, for fans of weirder, wilder films like Anti-Christ, Neon Demon, or Possession, this is one rich, 7-course meal of a film. And, I'm still going to keep recommending it just because it's so unique and we really need more audacious films like this.

chancetx, Natas and Workshed like this.