Darren Aronofsky’s Mother! (2017)

Discussion in 'General' started by Hatchetwarrior, May 15, 2017.

1. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Interesting review at The New Yorker:

More at link: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/r...horrifying-nearly-unbelievable-satire-of-fame

2. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I can certainly see the comparisons to Anti-christ, Neon Demon and Possession, all of which I generally like, but the delivery method for this film's symbolism will probably prevent me from exploring this any further. The
    biblical spoofing
    doesn't bother me in the least, but the ever-increasing scale in which the characters wantonly disregard "Mother," became a bit overwhelming by the time you get to the "wake" scene.

3. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

I like the Anti Christ comparison. Both films left a serious impression on me for days after watching.

4. zbinks

5. Swampthing82

Swampthing82 Active Member

These are serious head scratching decisions on the studios part. If it's all about money (and when is it not?) then a new Friday would have made 3x what this this film will end up with.

6. zbinks

The only thing I can figure is that Paramount thought they were getting another Black Swan. On paper, I can see where there may be similarities, but the finished product has a far bleaker, far more aggressive, far less conventional nature to it. In terms of commercial appeal, it's probably more in line with Requiem for a Dream.

7. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Mother! didn't have any commercial appeal with the exception of a good cast. This was easily my least favorite film seen in the theater this year. I enjoy Jennifer Lawrence but having the camera stuck in her face up close for 70% of the movie just didn't do it for me (I'm not kidding about the 70% either). Sure others can say "look at the style," "it's an art film." To me it was way too long and rather boring.

8. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Just felt like adding that i saw the film again tonight. The audience was larger than on opening weekend (though still small comparatively) which was a surprise.

This time around, I tried to focus more on the "domestic nightmare" aspect of the film and less on the allegorical stuff. And I gotta say, it still held up for me. I did like Lawrence's performance a bit more this second time, though I do still think it could have been better with a different actress. She's not bad. But, I still think an actress with a wider range would have helped. But, with the knowledge of where Bardem's character is going, I really felt his creepiness all the more the second time around. At first viewing, he seemed more clueless and thoughtless than anything else. But this second viewing, he seemed far more manipulative and exploitative.

But, the main take-away, and one of the things that has been lingering since my initial screening and the subsequent statements from Aronofsky, is that I really don't think he realized how many layers there are to this film as he made it. I do think he may be sincere when he says what his intentions were making the film. But, assuming that he is being completely open in those intentions, I don't think he realized how strong the angle of artists abusing their muses or even husbands abusing their wives was. I'm not sure he intended this to be some sort of confessional as I have yet to hear anything negative about his relationships. But, I can't help but think that on some level he had to be examining his own dark side in his relationships with the women that have served as his muses. And, I really do feel that this is the better/stronger interpretation. The biblical material does make this an interesting, and, in some ways, very funny film. But, the domestic/artistic nightmare aspect really is far more penetrating.

9. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

This is how I feel my reaction to the film will be. I'll check it out when it's on Bluray but I don't feel like seeing this one in the theater.

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Just saw it last night, and was surprised that there were twelve of us packed in a tiny last run theatre of a chain. So it was half sold out! I usually go Tuesday afternoons last runs and I'm the only one. I almost wonder though if it was spill over for Blade Runner perhaps being sold out? Odd. But then maybe good word of mouth finally got around. People even clapped at the end!

Anyways... I hadn't seen a trailer or read anything. Just knew I like Aronofsky so I saw it. That was a powerful film I was completely unprepared for. Like getting hit with a bucket of ice out of the blue. Then someone puts the bucket on your head and beats it with a 2x4.

It's interesting to me that there's some debate out there about "allegories" because Aronofsky is not being subtle IN THE SLIGHTEST and makes it pretty clear in the arch of the movie that:
    Bardem is God. Just plain God. His poetry is The Bible. The House is Earth and Lawrence is mother nature. The baby is Jesus (that's why they eat him). It's a modern setting/analogs with a compressed timeline with its own clearly fantasy universe but basically The Bible. I like to think of it as these are the celestial events that happened in God's life to cause Him to write The Word Of God as we know it.

Even the flood's in there when the sink breaks, everyone clears out, and it's back to only Bardem/Lawrence. (I like the added touch of two people bumping butts against the sink to cause it. Sodom & Gomorrah anyone?) And basically Aronofsky finished with Revelations as our fiery end which would be Runaway Global Warming (the oil is a nice touch) which would make the Earth uninhabitable for us; only to begin again after 20,000-40,000 years (if not more [i.e. like how the Dinosaurs bit it and the Earth renewed... eventually... Without those Dinosaurs.]).

I don't think there's an "underlying" message with how men or society treat women. Because how women are treated in the film is overt and instead symbolizes how we're treating mother nature. Either ignoring or abusing. The fact that the treatment of women in this film is so overt and yet audience members see it as secondary messaging says a lot about how we see but don't "see" that treatment of women. Literally if Aronofsky was any more in your face about it the camera would be imbedded in a pore of Lawrence's face.

So with all that said Bardem's role is spot on. What I didn't like is that the loop to the beginning suggests this path is inescapable. That... That fucks the most with me.

To be quiet frank it just hits too close to home. It's a wake up call and the fact that so many people not only laugh it all off, but combat it, is essentially the point of the film. This stuff is all around and yet we're just accepting of it if not active participants. Not ignoring. Accepting. When we should all be as horrified as Jennifer Lawrence is.

chancetx, MorallySound and zbinks like this.