David Cronenberg's SCANNERS from Criterion 7/15/14

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by bruce h, Apr 19, 2014.

1. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Reading the minds of film fanatics everywhere, The Criterion Collection issue 'The Greatest Exploding Head Movie of All Time' with their long-awaited hi-def release of David Cronenberg's SCANNERS (1981)! Shopping mall hobo Cameron Vale has a secret -- he can scan the thoughts of those within proximity. Unfortunately, he can't control his psychic powers, and after inducing an old lady seizure party in the food court he's apprehended by agents from ConSec, a security firm with an agenda all their own. They've been besieged by renegade mutant Darryl Revok, and need an agent with the mental ability to challenge his underground uprising. Before it's over melons burst, veins rupture, eyeballs pop and a gas station blows up.

A bigger budgeted, somewhat mainstream outing for Cronenberg, SCANNERS still finds the director mining similar territory as his earlier, more intimate studies of biological revolt and explorations of society's reactions. A surprise success story (and unlikely franchise foundation), the film has somehow garnered a reputation as a lesser entry in the director's canon -- a reputation Criterion hope to boost with their upcoming set. Besides a restored 2K transfer, the company is also including a documentary on the film's show-stopping special effects, interviews with actors Michael Ironside and Stephen Lack, a vintage television chat with the director, a new hi-def scan of his debut feature STEREO (1969), and more. "Their thoughts can KILL!"

Blu-Ray / DVD Combo Preorder (7/15/14) now live at Amazon. Direct link available at Cinema Arcana's Upcoming Releases list!
    http://bruceholecheck.blogspot.com/2009/12/upcoming-dvd-blu-ray-releases-of-note.html

Theatrical trailer!
    http://youtu.be/91xxB-lcKo0

"Like" the Cinema Arcana Facebook page to keep up with the latest news, deals, release announcements and more!
    https://www.facebook.com/cinemaarcana

[​IMG]

2. bruce h

Specs and cover:

* New, restored 2K digital film transfer, supervised by director David Cronenberg, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
    * The “Scanners” Way, a new documentary on the film’s special effects
    * New interview with actor Michael Ironside
    * The Ephemerol Diaries, a 2012 interview with actor and artist Stephen Lack
    * Excerpt from a 1981 interview with Cronenberg on the CBC’s The Bob McLean Show
    * Stereo (1969), Cronenberg’s first feature film
    * Trailer
    * PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Kim Newman

[​IMG]

3. Marv Inc.

Marv Inc. Active Member

I have the second sight release which is great. If the pictures much better on the criterion though and the extras add more I may be tempted.

4. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Can't wait till it's in my hands :D

5. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Figured that I would pass on this unless the quality was a huge upgrade over the UK release, but the inclusion of Stereo, assuming that it is in HD, means that I will probably buy it. That said, the cover is pretty crappy compared to the steelbook.

6. bruce h

Criterion have confirmed STEREO is a new HD transfer.

7. bruce h

Slightly expanded specs:

* New, restored 2K digital film transfer, supervised by director David Cronenberg, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
    * The “Scanners” Way, new documentary on the film’s special effects, featuring interviews with Cronenberg’s collaborators
    * Mental Saboteur, a new interview with actor Michael Ironside
    * The Ephemerol Diaries, a 2012 interview with actor and artist Stephen Lack
    * Excerpt from a 1981 interview with Cronenberg on the CBC’s The Bob McLean Show
    * New, restored 2K digital transfer of Stereo (1969), Cronenberg’s first feature film
    * Trailer and radio spots
    * PLUS: An essay by critic Kim Newman

8. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

9. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I will hear no arguments to the contrary: that cover is hideous and has nothing to do with anything. This movie is NOT called Scramblers and no one melts down at any point in the film.

10. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I don't care for the cover but it won't prevent me from purchasing it. I will just ignore the cover are appreciate that Scanners is finally out on Blu-Ray to go along with the Scanners 2/3 Double Feature Blu-Ray.

11. DVD-fanatic-9

Well, same here.

The fact that it's Blu-Ray will prevent me from purchasing it. Blu-Ray = what a racket.

12. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

Too funny :lol: To think in this day and age someone doesn't have a blu-ray player yet especially when you can get one now for peanuts. You're missing out on some fantastic releases bra.

13. DVD-fanatic-9

I cannot hold your breasts up if you strap me around your chest- I can assure you I am nobody's bra, thank you.

And the cost of the player plus HD TV plus re-buying every single DVD I already own is literally pretending America is not still recovering from a serious economic crisis. By the time I can afford to start buying-up, do you know how many of these releases will be hopelessly out of print?

That doesn't seem the slightest bit funny to me.

14. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

Woah bra, Just a figure of speech homie, lighten up francis. The fact of the matter is some of these great releases will never see the light of day on dvd only on blu-ray. I'm not saying buy every single release you already have just the ones that won't be out on dvd. Get with the times or get left behind bra.:lol:

15. DVD-fanatic-9

Because they force Blu-Ray down our throats.

16. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I already bought the UK tin; the PQ and features are quite nice, so I doubt I'll be getting this.

17. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Nothing was forced down my throat. Over the past seven years, I've slowly upgraded the releases that I wish to upgrade (and kept the ones I feel no need to upgrade because blu-ray players are backwards compatible after all) It's been a pretty smooth transition and not in the least a racket. That's like saying eight years after DVD hit the market they should have still been releasing films on vhs. And if not being able to afford or wanting to shell out the cash for an hd set is your issue (which they can be had for so cheap now I don't see how anyone who regularly purchases DVD's can't just put off buying DVD's for a few months and they would have enough for a decent set), I'm pretty certain you can hook a blu-ray player to a standard def set through composite, just nothing will be in HD.

If it was 2009, yeah I can definitely see someone not jumping into blu for cost reasons. These days, though, there are so many affordable options, combined with the fact that BD players are backwards compatible, that there aren't really many excuses left except for absolutely no interest in seeing films in anything greater than 480p or just sheer stubbornness.

But hey, I don't know your situation and you mentioned that you'd have to wait to start buying blu-rays, so all I'm saying is that if you are pretty consistent buyer of DVD, you could have a decent HD set up in a very short time by laying off buying DVD's and stacking that money away for a bit.

18. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Jesus fucking Christ!
    Just because you buy a BD player, doesn´t mean you have to upgrade anything.
    BD players upscale DVD´s. You could just start buying movies you don´t already own on DVD.

BD and HDTV´s are dirt cheap these days, compared to back in 2006 when the Blu-Ray was released.

At least here in Sweden, you can get a BD player for as low as $30 (about 200 skr). Sure it´s a budget player, but it still will blow your DVD player away with High Def glory. Not even a VHS player got that cheap back in the day.

So how cheap does it have to get? BD has been out for 8 years!!
    It hasn´t exactly been forced down our throats ;)

19. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

:D Ha! That's silly:p

20. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah people that haven't upgraded to Blu-ray now are just making up excuses, as there is no excuse that makes any sense. Their loss I guess.