David Gordon Green to remake Suspiria

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by The Chaostar, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Portman? Bummer, I was hoping that the re-make would stick to Dario's original idea of having the girls all be 12 year olds.

2. boycrieswolf

boycrieswolf Guest

That wouldn't be politically correct in this day and age, but I agree with you. They'll probably have the girls be college age I'm guessing. I think Natalie Portman is a strong choice for the role though, it certainly could be a lot worse.

3. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Just saw Pineapple Express and it was great. Green can still do wonders when working on a studio action/comedy. It gets me very excited for his horror debut.

4. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

More like 1986.

5. blood vamp

blood vamp Guest

I read that Green was questioning why a coven of witches would select a dance school to do their devil worship. If this is really pertinent to Greens remake, this effort has nowhere to go but down.

6. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

7. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Dread Central is right...I DREAD another remake.

8. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

While I see this failing in every conceivable way, at least it has a good director behind it. Still, no matter how good his intentions may be, I see this just being a complete fuck up.

9. DVD-fanatic-9

So long as this is basically a mystery, doesn't overexplain everything, and doesn't turn into a shit survival horror movie... I think it would work.

I haven't seen any of DGG's previous movies, but so long as they're mostly dialogue-driven and not action-driven, I at least have some faith that he'll care about appealing to our intelligence instead of the trends.

10. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

It's just that so much of the original's appeal is Argento's style and direction, Goblin's music, and the gore. I assume this will be gory, maybe, but you take away the other two and you are left with a pretty weak story that barely holds itself together, IMO.

11. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I like the casting of Portman, but Im not sure this can be pulled off if it strays away from the original score and artistic style that made the original so good. Course one thing they can do is not have that corny ass bat scene- I loved Suspiria but always thought that bat scene took away from the serious mood of the film. I mean its funny to watch a little fake bat flying around but you really dont want to laugh when watching a movie like Suspiria. To me that was the originals only flaw and seemed out of place especially cuz the bat was so fake.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  12. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Member

Yeah, but wasn't Undertow just a remake of Night of the Hunter?

13. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Personally, this is a film that I always thought could hold up for a "remake" Not that the film was flawed or needed updating, but more in that the film is really open to more artistic interpretations. This film is so heavily drenched in Argento's style that, in my mind at least, it would be interesting so see other artists who are equally stylish re-interpret it. I've said elsewhere that I'd love to see Aronofsky tackle this one or even Fincher. In my mind, Suspiria could be like a cool jazz riff that gets worked over and personalized by film-makers with distinctive visual styles. And, I think Suspiria is more open to that sort of tinkering than, say, My Bloody Valentine.

Granted, I am not familiar with this Green fellow. And I am sure that the project in my head will most likely be more interesting than anything that actually hits the screen. But, my curiosity is still piqued.

14. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

My first reaction was "Why?" but that was knowing nothing about it other than "remake".

After reading the comments here, I think some interesting points have been raised, and I'm willing to wait and see - I have doubts that it will come near the original, but am now a little curious to see what will happen.

I had doubts about the Dawn of the Dead remake, and didn't hate that one - though the original is still far more of a favorite, and I don't think the remake approached it, it didn't suck.

15. Mazurka Macabre

Mazurka Macabre New Member

For the most part I don't think Suspiria would be hard to remake successfully. The reason? Most of it is pretty hilariously dreadful. The acting, the set design, the plot, many of the effects (THE BAT!), etc.

Argento was stylish, but in a distinctly unrestrained and Italian sort of way. Although the visuals of the film are brilliant, they are brilliant despite being amateurish and heavy-handed. I think translating Argento's Suspiria into a less garish, but still stylized and colorful, world is entirely possible. (I think the big downfall of Mother of Tears was that it didn't live up to this expectation---that it be a refined version of Suspiria and Inferno that would strike the ideal balance between the Argento opulence of old and the contemporary desire for realistic and convincing visuals.) A film that retains the art house dream structure and a strong, symbolic visual style - and that takes itself seriously - could be a huge success in a horror landscape that is oversaturated with the bleak, the sordid, the industrial, and the realistic.

I agree entirely. Don't over-think or complicate the narrative and the movie will be fine. The big deal will be the music. If they have a traditional, lackluster horror score it will be something that critics and Suspiria fans will lament. What they have to do is find a compelling musician and have that person create a score that is a work of art that runs parallel to the film, like Goblin's soundtrack for the original.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  16. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Green is a capable director.So is Neil LaBute,who turned in the infamous remake of THE WICKER MAN.The original WICKER was one of those unique cult films that was just not gonna work as a remake,it was too specific,too much it's own thing to be able to hold up to a redress,no matter how well intentioned.I don't expect Green to have Nick Cage running around as a fistfighting bear but I still think remaking something as offbeat as SUSPIRIA is asking for trouble.Cult films have something (often hard to describe) that is specific and special to them.Setting out to remake a film like that is like waiting for lightning to strike twice in the same spot.At best you'll be disapointed,at worst you get burned by a near miss.

17. DVD-fanatic-9

You know, I've heard this before. And it's bullshit. Pure, utter bullshit. Daniel did a great job when he got up and yelled at Miss Tanner. Olga was great. Sara was great. Madame Blanc was great. Marc (?) was great. Frank was great. Milius was great. Albert was great. The old ladies chopping meat were great.

And something else- I'm getting pretty goddamned sick and tired of certain people around here (2 that I can count, but that's enough with me) criticizing the acting of great horror movies like Dawn of the Dead, Suspiria, and others by the traditional standards of acting. Horror is not a traditional genre. It always changes, to fit the need of the person who wants to find the horror movie they're watching entertaining. Because horror is the one genre I've found where there is no justification needed for anyone to defend a movie they liked. This doesn't work for other genres. Horror is different and special. But in a way, that's beside the point. The point is- Suspiria works. The acting qualities you see don't hinder or hurt the film at all. And I don't appreciate your attitude that they do.

Effects - I'll give you.

The Plot - this is Argento, he can make anything work if he's in charge (read or listen to Alan Jones for more on that, how his lesser films have all been the result of other people tampering). The plot works and it works well. Because this is Argento. If you disagree, you are free to be completely wrong but think you're right.

The set design... no idea what you're talking about. And unlike criticisms you might have made about the plot and the acting, I would very much like to hear criticisms you have about the set design.

Heavy-handed? Maybe compared to non-Italian films. But there's nothing amateurish about this film. Aside from the special effects.

18. rhett

rhett Administrator

Green has a very eclectic style - all his movies have a wonderful visual presence that harks back to the artier, showier times when Argento's original was made. I think it should be a fine fit there. Questions abound about the score, and I echo Mr. Macabre (welcome back, by the way!) the music needs to stand apart. That is one thing about all these remakes - I can't think of a single one with a really unique or even notable score. All your standard jump scare orchestral crap. If there is one film they need to go out on a limb for stylistically, it's SUSPIRIA.

The story is pretty similar, but the style is all Green. That's been one of the most visually exciting and refreshing movies I've seen in the last ten years or so. As long as Tim Orr is back behind the cinematography of SUSPIRIA all will be well.

19. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

I'd like to see them scale back rather than try to "top" Suspiria in terms of set, style, and music. There's just no way to compete with Argento's vision in the aforementioned.

Give it a more linear story, a stark, minimalist look, and it could work.

20. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Let it be recorded that I agree with what DVD-fanatic-9 said.