Dawn of the Dead (1978) 4K

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by buck135, Sep 14, 2016.

1. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I received confirmation that this has shipped.

Dobby likes this.
  2. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Yeah I woke up to use the bathrom and sure enough I got a shipping notice also. o_O

3. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Shipped via DHL - I should get it in a couple of days. Don't remember choosing expedited shipping, though. This thing set me back $50+ so it better be worth it.

4. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Please let us know your thoughts.

5. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yes. Please. I actually wanna get this if the transfers turn out to be good.

~Matt

6. elDomenechHDG

The other versions (not the new 4K Argento cut) are said to be the same as the 2013 Japanese Happinet edition, according to some folks over at Blu-ray.com who have the set in-hand. Granted, I don't have any of those editions but, generally, they're said to look decent. I'm on vacation from work, which is where I had this shipped, so I won't actually have my copy in-hand until at least Friday.

7. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

8. Spacevis

Spacevis There's some Dettol in the jeep!

Wow.... the detail on that carpet is amazing!

9. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Looks good. You watched it yet Dobby?

Dobby likes this.
  10. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

It looks good to me if you like allot of film grain. The grain is much more noticable now in 4K. I can't say the transfer is mind blowing though. But I am eagerly awaiting some reviews.

11. Zombie Dude

Did you compare it with any of the bluray versions? Is this a new scan or just an upconvert? Plus how do you like the Euro cut? I've never seen it but I've heard it's more fast paced which has me interested.

Dobby likes this.
  12. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Beauty is in the eye of beholder. I try not to be over opininated on transfers. To me the 4K ultra transfer looks a little better. I have the euro cut on blu ray from a previous release. There is a slight improvement of course. But the transfer looks somewhat upconvert to my eyes. I doubt this was ever a flawless transfer. But like I said film grain is big time noticable. I honestly try to avoid giving opinions on picture quality. There is always that 1 person who disagrees and thinks your attacking and nitpicking the picture quality. Anyway I am quite happy with this release. I doubt we will ever get this set in the states. I'd love for the original negatives to be mastered in 4K. However if this is as good as it get's im content. On a side note I love the euro cut despite the gore trimmed.

13. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

If it is an unconvert I wonder what the point of a 4K release is, then? I mean, what more are you really getting at that point?

I am VERY curious to hear some reviews from people with more of a technical understanding than I have.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  14. Zombie Dude

Haha, well this isn't Bluray.com so I don't think anyone is going to get too riled up over your opinion of the transfer. Thanks for your thoughts on it.

15. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

I just try to be honest without being over critical.

I think this transfer wasn't exactly the best from the get go. Until someone restores the original negatives this is as good as it gets. But yeah I agree im eagerly awaiting tachnical reviews also.

16. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

One huge noticble thing I am noticing to my surprise. Is how clear some scenes look while others look a bit grainy/muddy. This definitely looks and feels grindhouse to me. The inside mall scenes look pretty good to me. But the outside mall scenes are muddy. This really boils down to your own eyes. My Texas Chainsaw Massacre import 4K ultra blu ray is gorgeous and flawless. This DOTD 4K is an interesing mixed bag. I don't think this film ever looked perfect imo.

17. Zombie Dude

Well if this were Bluray.com we'd be over critical about everything lol. I was reading over people complaining about 4k and HDR the other day and how the colours aren't correct because they look different from both dvd and bluray and no standard has been set with the format yet. Just seemed silly to be complaining about that as the few 4k films I've watched seemed much more cinematic than any previous version I'd seen.
    Shame it's a bit of a mixed bag. I've been thinking about picking g up Chainsaw too.

18. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

The conversations on blu-ray.com for this release are quite interesting! Some echo my statements some don't, good read!

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=281619&page=8

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=18514&page=65

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    Zombie Dude likes this.
  19. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

OK so I found the out of sync claim issue. It's in the Italian first audio option but I'm confused. It is out of sync but it seems like the Italian dub is longer then the English dialog. So I can see someone claiming out of sync. When it looks like too much dialog in my opinion. :eek:

20. elDomenechHDG

The jumbo amaray case is a real turnoff IMO, not to mention it's a real bitch to get it to close properly. The packaging is the least of my worries, though, as this release is a mixed bag of old transfers and missed opportunities. The Argento cut looks nice I guess but it could look a whole lot better. The open matte version looked best to my eyes but I still had to play around with some of the settings on the TV to get it right. Overall, I don't regret the purchase but it's not going to win any awards in my book.