Dawn of the Dead (1978) Analysis

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by DayoftheRhodes, Feb 10, 2011.

1. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Well written. It's hard to add any more to your analysis other than 120 minutes seem to fly by every time I watch it. Dawn is one of those films I don't want to end.

2. Weirdo

Weirdo New Member

:bs: It IS the greatesr film ever made!

3. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Good write-up. The only thing I don't necessarily agree with is the paragraph about "the living that pose the biggest threat."

My take has always been that George's message is more that groups are always the biggest threat. It's a bit better laid out in NotLD, but it carries through the other films. I think the idea is actually best summed up in Men in Black that "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it." One zombie isn't much of a threat. They are stupid and slow. But, once they start to group up and the numbers grow, that stupid and slow thing becomes an overwhelming force. And, the human groups in the film mirror that behavior. So, the threat from the zombies is very real. It's the increasing spread of mob mentality. The irony is that we watch the same threat spread in the behavior of the surviving humans.

My 2 cents have been spent.

4. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

:)

5. cazzasguy

cazzasguy Member

Whatever its technical and artistic merits, this movie makes me smile every time I turn up for work - which is no easy feat as I HATE my current employer. However its office is based in the centre of Manchester, UK which is an overpopulated hellhole and home to the most mindless consumerist zombies on planet Earth. The 'dumbfucks' in DOTD are cousins of Einstein, compared with people plodding round the Arndale Shopping Centre !

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  6. Criswell

Criswell New Member

As the film shifts inside the project, Wooly is on a killing spree. This sequence emphasizes George’s distaste for racism as the character is clearly killing people he feels are below him, zombie or not.

Gotta disagree there. He is clearly just enjoying himself. If it took place at a country club he'd get just as much joy out of blowing away dowagers and pennypackers.