Dawn of the Dead Composite Cut from XT Video - 1/26/18

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by f.ramses, Dec 29, 2017.

1. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Apparently they're putting out the 156 minute version but that and the cover are all the info I can find. Does anyone know where I can get details for this, specifically if it includes English audio or not? bluray-disc.de ("Zombie - Dawn of the Dead (1978): Complete Cut - Limited Edition Mediabook (AT Import)") appears to have a listing for it in their XT Video section but I can't look at the details because I'm not willing to go through their idiotic signup process. I also found one site with a pre-order but no details there either...

[​IMG]

2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Just watch it here. The quality will almost certainly be the same.

loutoad23 and f.ramses like this.
  3. foller

foller Active Member

From dtm.at:
    German DTS HD 2.0
    English DTS HD 2.0
    1,85 (16:9 Anamorph)
    1,85 (1080p)
    156 minutes
    No subtitles
    Blu Ray + DVD Region B/PAL
    Anounced as "Complete Cut". It's not clear yet if it will be the same as the Ultimate Final Cut which still had some scenes misssing. I think it might be a new cut because the old Final Cut was put together in SD and didn't have English audio.

f.ramses likes this.
  4. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I'm hoping you're wrong but thanks for a link to an English version. I got a copy of this in some German DVD set years ago but it was German only.

Cool, thanks! I actually checked D&T earlier but must have missed that. Glad to see it will have an English track but I'll hold out and see if there are any reviews before I order it based on buck135's comment.

buck135 likes this.
  5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

VERY interesting. Unfortunately I wouldn't hold out much hope. While my knowledge is limited, I think what is known out there is sketchy too (and in German) but what this was is an extended TV cut and hobbled together from several TV tapes if I remember correctly (because not even every broadcast was the same; trimming to meet its own time slots). Not all the sources were even broadcast level masters mind you but home video recording. Unless they turned up the original television print, probably 16mm, but even then they probably mixed it with the abominable transfer long circulating. I'd actually be happier with a clean transfer of the full 16mm print at this point (and is why I bought the Italian 4k. A decent scan of THOSE elements).

I'm willing to sit back want wait on this. Worst case scenario it sells out before reviews confirm is as a well done transfer and they'll release a standard release of it without the nice packaging or booklet (and since I don't especially like Mediabooks and don't read German that's quite alright). Can't even remember the last time I watched my own copy of it. It. Is. Long. And that takes some of the fun outta it.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

7. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

This is the only film left of the first run of horror blus that AB put out back in the day that hasn't been re-released in a substantially improved form. Can a US company PLEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAASSSSSSEEEEE give this film the attention it deserves?

8. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Unfortunately any U.S. company isn't going to get the return on their investment. Richard Rubenstein is asking too much for Dawn and Martin. The fact that he recently sunk millions in the 3D conversion of Dawn which failed to gain interest didn't help.

9. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Did anyone pick this up? If so, how is the quality? Not that it really matters because this doesn't appear to be available for a reasonable price anywhere, but I'm still wondering how it turned out...

rxfiend likes this.
  10. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

No, I have enough copies of Dawn at the moment. Four alone on blu-ray (Umbrella, Arrow, Happinet, and Anchor Bay), five if you count the Midnight Factory 4K nonsense. I'm not buying this film again until all three cuts get a genuine restoration.

11. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Looks like XT is putting out a Dawn of the Dead set next month and it will include the Complete Cut in addition to the usual US Theatrical, Extended, and Argento cuts. I assume it will look the same as my Italian set but I want that damn Complete Cut so bad and the set actually cost less than the one copy of the Complete Cut I found the last time I looked for it that I just ordered it.

[​IMG]

Really don't plan on buying this movie again until we get a proper restoration but then again I've been saying that since before I bought the Italian set and I just followed up that purchase with this one...

fceurich39 likes this.
  12. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Where can we purchase this?

13. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I've never ordered from them before but Pretz Media seems to still be taking pre-orders for this, the site I ordered from seems to be sold out though.

14. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

They have it at D&T Mailorder, but it's order by request/pre-order at this time. They are like the Austrian DiabolikDVD. They ship worldwide, I've ordered from them a number of times so I can vouch for them. Usually if Diabolik isn't carrying a niche Euro title I want, they're my go-to.

http://shop.dtm.at/product_info.php?products_id=21341

15. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Cool! I might grab this as I don’t think a new Dawn set will come out stateside until Rubenstein is dead. Is this region free? I think I read earlier in the thread that it was B, but I know sometimes these things end up unintentionally (or maybe not so unintentionally) being region free

16. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Appears to be Region B locked according to D&T and what info I can find about it. But until it's actually released and verified, who knows.