Dawn of the Dead / Zombi in 4k UltraHD (Italy)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by X-human, Aug 24, 2016.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Looks like Dawn of the Dead has been picked up and announced for release by an Italian company Midnight Factory. It appears they will be using Dario Argento's cut on the 4K UHD disc.

Google Translate:
    http://www.adnkronos.com/intratteni...bi-romero-argento_dHrjjC23ZFu750Vdd5WvEP.html

I wonder if they mean to the full Extended Cut mostly floating around Germany or just the Director's Cut? And would theatrical to Italians simply mean Argento's cut? Or do they would they use that terminology for the US theatrical cut?

I'm most curious about all of this because my understanding was Rubinstein was holding out for a 3D theatrical release with distribution or nothing on Dawn. Did he crack? Did he think no one would notice/care if he relented in Italy to recoup some costs for his 3D conversion?

More news... perhaps...

fceurich39 likes this.
  2. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

In my opinion the Argento cut is the weakest because it cuts out a lot of stuff. This is good news though I really hope we still get a New USA Blu-ray of all the cuts down the road including the longest cut 156 min

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

My understanding is it's just the Argento cut (Goblin and all). Price and reviews are factors for me on this one. I paid a fortune for the Happinet set which has all three cuts and it is disappointing to say the least. This is definitely on my radar however.

4. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

5. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  6. Funktion

Funktion Member

It seems the contents for the 4K limited edition were finally revealed.

The 6 disc (1 4K disc, 5 BD discs) will include the following:
    -4K disc: 4K version of the European Cut (Zombie)
    -BD disc 1: European Cut (Zombie)
    -BD disc 2: European Cut (Zombie) in full frame (supposedly the full frame, as filmed, before being matted)
    -BD disc 3: US Theatrical version
    -BD disc 4: Extended Version (Cannes Cut)
    -BD disc 5: Special features (150 minutes)

Special Features:
    HD Material
    - Interview with TOM SAVINI (18’)
    - Exclusive interview with NICOLAS WINDING REFN (8’)
    - Exclusive interview with DARIO ARGENTO (28’)
    - Interview with MICHELE DE ANGELIS E GIANNI VITTORI (regarding the restoration of the film, and it's transfer to 4K Ultra HD) (8’)
    - Press conference from the 73rd edition of the MOSTRA INTERNAZIONALE D’ARTE CINEMATOGRAFICA DI VENEZIA (31’)
    - Intro from the midnight showing of the movie at the 73rd edition of the MOSTRA INTERNAZIONALE D’ARTE CINEMATOGRAFICA VENEZIA (10’)

SD Material
    - QUANDO ALL'INFERNO NON CI SARÀ PIÙ POSTO (interviews with Dario and Claudio Argento, Claudio Simonetti, Alfredo Cuomo) (31’)
    - Trailer and Tv Spot (16’)
    - Book with photos and interviews regarding the movie
    - 5 collectible cards

- Audio Commentary by SIMONETTI

---

There's also a 4 BD disc set, which features all the above except the 4K disc, and with the European Cut (Zombie) in full frame.

You can check the details at the publisher's website:
    http://www.midnightfactory.it/film/zombi-dawn-of-the-dead

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Got my replacement disc on Thursday for the Blu-ray. I kinda wrote it off, but it came in a nice jewel case too which I'll use to replace a cracked CD case I'm sure I've got somewhere.

I'm somewhat surprised there's been no North American counter release. And with the death of Romero, as cynical as this might be, Rubinstein has now lost his biggest pay day possible with the normal spike in sales any artist sees soon after their death.

To any distributor, sales can only go down from previous sales figures. The highly anticipated NotLD release will garner whatever good will is still floating around out there and that will probably be it sadly. Dawn's last best hurrah is now in the rearview mirror for Rubinstein.

8. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind seeing Synapse give this the love it deserves, when it comes to the color-correction.

Or maybe Arrow (who released the movie on Blu-Ray in UK) could give it a re-release in 4K.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  9. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I would like to see Arrow revisit this title. They've done some wonderful work on the titles that they redid. Unfortunately I never bought the Arrow Dawn release but I wouldn't make that mistake this time.

Steel76 likes this.