Day of the Dead (2008 / Remake)

Discussion in 'General' started by shift, Feb 14, 2008.

1. shift

shift Hot as shit!

I finally got my hands on a screener of this film.

This really has nothing to do w/ the original or consider this a remake of the original Day of the Dead.

But this movie was not all that bad!

I really enjoyed it.

It has everything for blood, guts, ripping of skin and good gore!

The zombies are fast, but they have the ability of like a monkey! Yes, they can leap out of 2-3 story buildings, they hop really high. The only way to kill them is to shoot them in the head w/ a gun or burn them or cut off their heads!!

Movie was enjoyable and had good laughter through it. I think you'll like this film.

Move is made out in Colorado. In enjoyed the scenery shots and small town feel of this movie. Add the military made it fun.

Here are some snaps that I took and also one video of a scene that I thought was neat.

If you got some time to kill, take a view at this movie. Be open minded and not take shit serious.
    Here:

Pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VIDEO:

[​IMG]

2. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

i caught a screener of this as well, and in all honesty it really is pretty decent. nothing near the piece of shit i thought it was going to be(and what that first trailer made it look to be)

it's worth a rental at least

3. Criswell

Criswell New Member

The zombies are fast, but they have the ability of like a monkey! Yes, they can leap out of 2-3 story buildings, they hop really high.

Dear Lord......... you are kidding right?

Since when did the line between ZOMBIES and MUTANTS become blurred?

4. shift

shift Hot as shit!

Nope not kidding; also:

they can crawl like a spider upside down on the ceiling :lol:

You just have to see it man, it was fun!

:D

5. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    Sounds and looks pretty cool. I'll check it out for sure, thanks for the heads up.

6. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Yep, I felt the same way about it shift.

After the disappointment of it not being anywhere near as good as the Dawn of the Dead remake, and certainly no where near the original Day of the Dead, I was able to appreciate it for it's comedic moments, but more importantly the zombie-killing action sequences. (Wow that was a run-on sentence or what?)

My advice, like Alphaville would say, go in "hoping for the best, but expecting the worst," and you'll probably come out quite entertained.

7. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I'm going to watch it just to say I watched it.

8. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

Day Of The X-men Dead

9. evilbaby

evilbaby New Member

Not as bad as I expected, nowhere near as good as it should have been. It's a rental, nothing more.

Oh yeah, fuck Nick Cannon and his impression of "Bad Boys" era Will Smith. Ruined every scene he was in.

10. Criswell

Criswell New Member

DVD i shall wait

11. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Not too bad of a film. Some of the attacks reminded me of Benny Hill. Running real fast around. I wonder how good it could have been if the zombies were slow moving. I mean they were crawling & jumping around like spiderman. Then again thats what sets it different from other zombie movies.

12. I seen this like a week ago. It was alright, but the end kind of reminded me of blade. When did zombies burn up into ashes from fire? So the ending was weak to me. But I loved to gore at the hospital.

13. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

i thought it was pretty shit, crappy cgi gore, zombies that one minute crawl around the celling like a spider and the next minute have trouble jumping up to the ventilation shaft! and my favourite bit, when they are discussing why they have not become infected, the doctors says, we must me immune, however if were bitten then were screwed? wait a minute your either immune or your not make up your mind! definately glad i did not have to pay for this one.

ow well, hopefully they can do better with there land of the dead remake!!!!!!!

14. shift

shift Hot as shit!

Calm down... told you just have fun w/ it. Don't take it serious :lol:

15. Buddusky

Buddusky New Member

The film is total pish.

16. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

i didn't take it to serious and i tried to have fun with it, but it's a piece of crap! the only good thing i can say about it, is it was better than return of the living dead - rave to the grave which i watched a couple of days earlier, now that's an abortion of a movie.

17. dwatts

dwatts New Member

My review:

This post is rather long, and I know people don't like to read long reviews on message boards generally. I really don't think there are any real spoilers here, I don't reveal anything that isn't fully explained in the film itself quite early on. Still - if you don't want to read it all, I'll quote one of my final paragraphs so you don't have the bother:

And now the uncut version. :D

Dawn of the Dead got some short shrift from a large segment of the horror community because it wasn't simply a remake of a Romero zombie film, it was also daring to dip into a cult classic. There are many zombie films, but few have the sizable following of Dawn.

Yet despite all that, once the film arrived, the new version was able to win some of the naysayers over. The thing is, it's just very well made, has some big thrills, and even had the audacity to open better than the film it followed.

Enough said - Dawn of the Dead made a lot of friends, and rightfully so. Remakes don't replace their inspiration, but they can sit alongside them in nice new clothing and act as siblings.

Then a Day of the Dead remake was announced. Day of the Dead clearly has its fans, but there is a tad more dissent in the reviews of the original film. Yes it's not what Romero wanted to make, budgets saw to that, but it's simply not a perfect film. Filling in narrative gaps with gore sequences won over a lot of people, but the film still isn't held in as much reverence as Dawn. Which is not to minimize the fact that it does indeed have a large following.

So here we go again. On board this time is Steve Miner in the Directors chair. Miner gave us Lake Placid, oh, more than ten years ago.... before going back to TV to make a bunch of nondescript rubbish (and I'm not forgetting Halloween H20 either).

The first sign that something might have gone awry was that it went straight to DVD. Now, in this day and age going straight to DVD (some people still insist on saying "straight to video" for no good reason) isn't the kiss of death. What chance do most of us have to see the Asian horrors in the cinema? Where would we be with all the hardcore violent films of Toe Tag etc? Increasingly money is being made from DVD releases, so missing out on a theatrical showing isn't necessarily a bad thing. On the other hand, this is a remake of a Romero classic, so surely, if anything, this deserved a trip to the cinema?

Having now experienced Day of the Dead, I can confirm that things did indeed go awry. And no, CGI can't save a bad picture.

I'm going to avoid spoilers, but I'll go over some points here. Note I really enjoyed the Dawn remake, so if you're wondering if this is just another remake rant then think again. It's not.

Day took the zombie story into the military. If you recall the original film, soldiers and scientists are holed up in a bunker, zombies all around. The soldiers want out, the scientists are searching for a way to survive. The soldiers favor a weapon, the scientists potty training. Social structures break down, all hell lets loose, and the end we all know.

This remake does the same thing - after a fashion. The focus here is the military, and their response to the zombie hordes. However, this is where the story veers off from that which inspired it.

The military are the good guys here, and the scientists the bad guys (not a spoiler, it's pretty obvious from pretty much the start of the film). And while the bunker makes an appearance, it's only toward the end, and even then it seems to exist only to give a nod to the first film.

Problem 1 - casting. Your lead for this movie is an even-headed, thinking, feeling, military person. They need leadership, logic, and the ability to command others who trail along (they have rank if nothing else). So who do we get to replace the nasty from the original? Mena Suvari. A little blond girl. Seemingly four foot nothing with the drive and ambition of a schoolgirl seeking out a stolen iPod. Wow.

Putting the casting aside for a moment (it's not all bad, Ving Rhames plays an - almost - cameo, but he's always good to look at) let's consider how this film kicks off. The Dawn remake started with a bang, a trully wonderful kick-start. This one? We get sneezing and a nose bleed. Two couples making out in an abandoned... something. One gets the flu, all must go home... but not without first testing our gag reflex with a snot/kiss scene. Weak.

Oh well, maybe it'll get better! Erm, no. No it won't. Not really. The rest of the film is basically about a town getting infected with zombies, the army getting beaten until only a few survivors are left, and with their efforts to escape. Our hero, Sarah, has not only to take care of two soldiers whom she outranks (one of whom is named Bud Crain - duh!) but also her mother and brother, who happen to live in the town where this outbreak has taken place. Oh, family drama and the military training, it warms the heart.

As a remake of Resident Evil.... no, no... sorry, Day of the Dead, we also have a scientist along for the ride. I wonder what he's been up to, huh? There's a strange virus on the loose, and it's turning people into "zombies", how could that have happened?

The confusion between Resident Evil and Day of the Dead is obvious from the start. If you happen to think Resident Evil is nothing more than a clone of Romero's films, you might even accept it. But before you give the benefit of the doubt, let me talk a bit about the zombies on show here.

We recently had a debate about whether zombies can run or not. And while the majority thought the slow lumbering kind were the most interesting, there were those whom either preferred, or at least didn't mind, the running kind too. Arguments of dead versus infected aside, films such as 28 Weeks Later have shown us there is drama in a rabid mob of fast moving killers.

But this is a remake of a Romero film, and these "zombies" aren't all they seem. Prefer running zombies? How about zombies that jump like gazelles? How about if they can easily jump 12 or 20 feet into the air? How about if the zombies can climb walls and walk on ceilings like Spiderman? How's about them apples?

I really shouldn't mention the supernatural element, stolen no doubt from some WB nightmare serial, where - once touched by fire - these zombies literally explode, as though they have a belly full of dynamite. Erm..... why??!?

Look, the CGI monster from Resident Evil was pretty cool with all its running about, but when you're talking about humans, suddenly transformed, can we lay off these superhero skills, please?

But there you have it, Day of the Dead owes as much to Resident Evil - with its tale of an underground bunker that has developed a military virus which has somehow escaped, as it does 28 Weeks Later, which extended 28 Days Later into an apocalyptic vision of a city gone to hell (oh so much better and exciting than an American small town gone to hell). The infected here (are they really dead?) don't rise from graves, they have super powers, and once infected people get turned into zombies within a few hours. Just what's going on with this film?

Still, maybe the gore will help? Hm, not really. There is so much poor CGI blood on show here, it makes you wince. I love my gore, and there's certainly plenty of it, but so much is "enhanced" for your viewing pleasure by globs of - what appears to be - plastic blood, you might just want to rethink your views on the role of CGI in our beloved genre altogether.

Hell, while we're briefly mentioning other films, the one this most closely resembles in many ways is the recent Hills Have Have Eyes II. Both contain a bunch of young (too young) "soldiers", both are being stalked by killers. Hills II plays out its climax in the confines of a mine, Day plays it out in the confines of the bunker (which - get this - they run into for safety and then realize there's no backdoor, so they spend the same amount of time trying to run out again.) I didn't mind Hills II, the setting, the humor. But I was laughing with Hills II, I was laughing at Day of the Dead.

A couple more things before I finish up. You want a safe zombie? Apparently, look for a vegan. Think about it.

Finally I can't go without mentioning one of the greatest zombie characters ever, reimagined in this film. Yep - Bud. Bud was a highlight of the original film, he added poignancy, but was also just plain cool. Having him in this film was always going to be a double-edged machette.

Here we meet Bud when he's alive, trying to save people from the airbourne virus that turns citizens into zombies, giving large poodle eyes at Sarah whom he finds very hot. You know where this is going. Bud goes on to play a slightly larger role in this version, but for me I just couldn't get passed what was totally classic, and trying to accept this lettuce eating zombie fiend. Maybe if Stark Sands, who played the role, could actually act it might have helped. Alas......

Pluses? There's some cool tension at the hospital toward the start of the film, when the sick are crowded in, and you know something is about to kick off. Lots of guns, machettes, and hellish car driving (anyone remember the game, Autogeddon?), and if you don't mind bowls of CGI blood - there's some decent gore here and there. Sadly, the bad far outweighs the good.

18. dwatts

dwatts New Member

The worse thing though is that it didn't really entertain me. The lead is so poorly played, even the side players were poor. The Resident Evil connection was very annoying too.

So it saddens me to diss any new film giving it a go - but this went straight to DVD because, well, it's crap. Not good. Bad. It wasn't even fun, which is the real crime. I'm sorry, I really am. Angela above is correct, I'm afraid. This isn't even a worthy sequel to a remake.

Dawn of the Dead remake, excellent. Day of the Dead? Bad. I'l just have to live with it. You don't have to though, so don't rush into spending your money on this in the hopes of a hidden gem. Buy Wrong Turn 2 instead. It has the same amount of gore, the same level of (poorish) acting - but is just oodles of fun.

Not recommended.

19. dwatts

dwatts New Member

In other words - I have to disagree with Shift on this one. I'm all for simply having fun with movies, but come on, this thing is really poor. As a remake of a classic, it's a travesty, and I'm not even a particular fan of the original film.

Just about everything is amateur about this. Not fun - and not even close to the Dawn remake, and plenty of you hated that! :D

hots4 and Buddusky are right y'all.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  20. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

It had some moments where I was actually enjoying it....but then Mena Suvari would show up in the scene and kill any momentum.
    she doesn't carry a loaded gun????????

The Bad (or at least some of it):
    Pretty dumb plot, bouncey zombies, people I didn't care about, characters that were forced into the plot because someone similar was in the original, a zombie in love (with Mena Suvari!!! Ugh!!), horrible cgi, etc.

The Good:
    It kept moving for the most part (if I'd had time to think about how bad of a movie it was I'd have turned it off), I got to cheer for the zombies to catch Mena and rip her head off, and....um....that's about it. At least the people that were worrying about this being a remake of a classic can stop worrying now. It ain't no remake. It's a DTDVD movie with the same title as a classic.

Whatever, I watched it. I didn't turn it off until the end. Must be worth something right?