Dead Silence Contest

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Jun 29, 2007.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

In describing DEAD SILENCE, creators James Wan and Leigh Whannell have called the film a throwback to "old fashioned" horror cinema. As we get bombarded with remakes like THE HAUNTING and THE MUMMY, we realize more and more how those old black and white classics have really defined the genre ever since.

We want to keep things simple for this contest, like the last one, so all you need to do is answer a simple question. What's your favorite, classic, pre-color horror film? Bela, Boris and the bunch made tons, and there are some greats from all over the world too, and many of them are pretty obscure. Hopefully sharing your favorite will entice others to check out a gem they may never have known about otherwise.

Because I love DEAD SILENCE so much, I want to share the experience with all of you. I've got a bunch of unique memorabilia for the film to give away, so three lucky winners will receive:

A Dead Silence Prize Pack:
    -DVD
    -T-shirt
    -Cup
    -Fridge magnet
    -Hat

The cut-off will be Friday, July 6th at midnight. All the entires will be put into a database, and three members will be randomly drawn.

So let's get to the topic...what's your favorite pre-color classic horror movie?

Attached Files:

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

There are so many greats it's difficult to pick just one. The Universal Horrors, the Gaumont films from the UK, and all those classic Poverty Row movies that are the essence of low bugdet guerilla film making. But a favorite single film?

I could go for many, but I'm going to go for one that I'd rebuy the instant it was out in any format - Fiend Without a Face. Not obscure, but it's got dynamite effects, some wonderful B actors, and even some gore. That gore was quite a shock for a young boy watching it for the first time. That it got a Criterion release was a pleasant shock at the time.

So.. Fiend Without a Face.

3. Mattster

Mattster Guest

House on Haunted Hill

4. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Creature From The Black Lagoon.
    It could easily be a Godzilla flick, but those weren't really horror.

5. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Member

Creature from the black lagoon, (wolf-man is a very close second, but the lagoon/water scenes put the creature in first place)

6. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

The Human Monster - Lugosi's best roll next to Dracula of course.

7. Noto

Noto Guest

Cat People.

Hands down it is one of the most beautiful, surreal and unsettling films from its era. Particularly from a major studio non-experimental film.

The Universal classic monster films are very close too.

8. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

The Black Cat, with Bela Lugosi & Boris Karloff. One of my all time favorite B&W films, not only because of the great story and acting between the two, but simply because both Dracula and Frankenstein are together on the screen.

9. Slow

Slow Guest

William Castle's Homicidal.

Cheesy good fun in the tradition of Psycho. The film so "terrifying" it has a fright break!

10. marcx

marcx New Member

hmmm--tough call....but I am going with Bride oif Frankenstein...

(I was tempted to say the haunting or the innocents but i guess they don't trul;y meat the criteria..)

11. Mattster

Mattster Guest

We are now entering the house!

12. Azmodan

Azmodan Guest

House on Haunted Hill for me

13. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein

100% pure entertainment. Covers all bases.

14. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    I Walked With a Zombie, I love the pounding drums and dark atmosphere.

15. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Vampyr.

16. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Universal horror's Dracula gets my vote, because I absolutely love Bela as Dracula. I could watch him all day. Other choices I considered were the amazing The 7th Victim and The Curse of the Cat People.

17. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I'm going to go WAY back and pick Nosferatu. That movie is just creepy and still to this day, Max Shrek put on the best/scariest portrayal of a vampire.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  18. Luna

Luna Guest

Dead of Night, because dummies are naturally creepy as all hell.

19. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

If we are talking pre-color, as in before color films were available, probably London After Midnight, although I've only seen it in a butchered form--simply because it was the first movie that had such a grotesque looking "monster"..

Otherwise, I think my favorite black in white pre-50's technicolor would probably be "The Spiral Staircase", which although is probably more accurately classified as "suspense", was the first real "serial killer" movie I saw that really creeped me out...

The setting of the old house, the shadows in the yard, the knowledge that someone was killing women who had various handicaps, all of the great performances etc....All of them added up to a movie that still managed to capture the attention of a pre-teen who was already getting into 70's horror films.

20. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is my favorite b&w horror film. It's nearly 90-years old, and it's still as effective as it ever was, I'm sure. Beautifully shot, amazing set-design, and an all-around unique story. Not just one of the best b&w horror films, but one of the best films of all-time, period. A definite wonder from the early days of cinema.