Dead Silence Contest

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Jun 29, 2007.

1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Frankenstein.

2. Mazurka Macabre

Mazurka Macabre New Member

Metropolis! Many people consider this the archetypal science fiction film, yet the same argument that applies to Alien - Is it sci fi or horror? - applies to Lang's 1927 masterpiece. So much of Metropolis is what has come to define 'horror'. I challenge anyone to watch this film and not be struck by the overlap between genres.

My favorite sequence has to be Rotwang's stalking of Maria in the decrepit catacombs. The heavy use of his flashlight as a tool to inspire terror in the woman (and audience) has anticipated many such sequences from the slasher subgenre. Also, the evil Maria robot, Futura, is more of an erotic horror "witch" than an inhuman, emotionless computer. The dialog flat-out dubs her a witch, and
    the city dwellers burn her at the stake!

3. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

It's not really pre-color, but it's in black and white: The Innocents. Quite possibly one of the best filmed movies I've ever seen. Every frame is perfect!

But if we're talking about really pre-color, then I guess mine would be Nosferatu. I know it may be cliché now, but it's still an incredibly well made film and works perfectly today. It's especially interesting comparing it with Herzog's remake (if not Coppola's Bram Stoker's Whoever's Dracula).

4. spookmeister

spookmeister New Member

Pre-color for me it would have to be the original Phantom of the Opera with Lon Chaney Sr. A true classic.

B&W post-color would be Village of the Damned. Love those evil children with the creepy eyes.

5. DopeChamberX

DopeChamberX Guest

Have to agree with Nosferatu. Been one of my all time favorites. I think it was actually one of the first horror films i saw/was able to see.

6. jefff

jefff Guest

This is damn near impossible for me to pick, as this is one of my favorite genres and I could go on for days about classic B&W horror films. But my gut reaction was to say Dracula (1931). Bottom line is I used to watch this movie almost daily as a kid, and I idolized Lugosi for much of my childhood. It really is one of the movies that got me so much into the horror genre, and I still love it today just as much as I ever have. Bela's portrayal of Dracula will always remain timeless, and this will forever be a film that I will watch anytime & anywhere.

7. legz

legz Member

The Thing from Another Planet for me. This was a hard pick with all the great black and white Universal horror and scifi movies that were made.

8. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

THE BLACK CAT with Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff.This low budget effort looks truly unique thanks to it's art deco production design.The story in this one is REALLY twisted,it's crawling with phobias,hints of necrophilia and cold blooded revenge.Karloff is at his coolest while Bela (as close to a hero as you're gonna get in this thing) is filled with a lust for vengeance.One of the most offbeat horrors of the 30's and perhaps the best pairing of the eras two greatest horror icons.Look fast for John Carradine as an organist.Great,sick fun !

9. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

I'm going for the 1934 film 'Maniac' because it's vintage trash at its very best! One of the best things to come out of my 50 classic horror movie DVD set.

10. Numania

Numania Guest

I"'m going to agree with KamuiX, here. For pre-color horror, I'm going to pick The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. I really dug the German expressionist sets. These added a strange and creepy atmosphere to the film. It was like a scary, live action Dr. Seuss movie. It also shows how talented the early filmmakers were. They conveyed this creepy, weird plot in a silent movie. Sure, there are title cards, but they're aren't these huge plot expositions through dialog. It's all there for the eyeballs to see and take in.

Plus, Cabinet was when I tried a new trick. I played an experimental music cd while watching it. Not only did it match the atmosphere perfectly, I swear it synched up. If anyone has Crawl Unit - Stop Listening, start it at five seconds in. It's radical. I think this added an extra element for me.

11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Carnival of Souls, because it chills nipples every time.

12. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

The Haunting (1963) is the greatest horror movie of all time.

13. lakini71

lakini71 New Member

It's been mentioned already, but I'll have to say Fiend Without a Face as well. This scared the hell out of me as kid, and since I haven't seen it in years, I'm going to have to check it out again pretty soon. Ah, the memories...

14. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

There were color movies being made when it came out but I am going to say Eyes Without A Face. But if it has to be pre-anything color I would go with Bride of Frankenstein.

15. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Mine has to be 'The Wolfman" with Lon Chaney Jr- Still one of my top ten of all time to this day

16. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

Creature from the Black Lagoon.

17. adric

adric New Member

Im torn between Devil Doll(1964) and Freaks (1932) but im gonna go with Freaks since i know it was pre color

18. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Member

Phantom of the Opera ( 1925), great acting, special effects for the time period, a great story, and of course the fantastic Lon Chaney. I used to dub my old vhs copy of this with Twisted Sister, Iron Maiden, and Ozzy Osbourne and it would actually match the goings on of the movie. I love The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari too, but the original Phantom wins out.

19. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Kaneto Shindo's masterpiece Samurai horror film, Onibaba. It'll tear you in two.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  20. Luna

Luna Guest

Haha, I almost went with this one!

Darts of fire in my brain! Stabbing me! Agony! I can't stand this torture! This torment! I can't stand it! I won't! I won't! Agony! Agony!