Deadgirl (2008)

Discussion in 'General' started by Ash28M, Sep 8, 2008.

1. dvdfan

dvdfan Member

For anyone with Netflix: It's available now for Instant Streaming and it's the Unrated version.

2. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Weird people...I thought it was one of the better under-the-radar US horror flicks to come around in a while. Reminded me a lot of Ginger Snaps and May for some odd reason I can't quite put my finger on; maybe it's just because those are near the top of my list when thinking of other really great, grassroots horror films of the last 10 or so years. Or maybe because all of them are quite twisted at their core but really subtle about it. Anyways, I'm rambling... :p

3. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Watched this tonight and was absolutely blown away. Hands down one of the best horror films in the last 10 years. Trent Haaga's script was extremely well written and wholly original. The cast were great, and it was great seeing some real teen roles played by people that looked like normal teenagers (although they may have looked slightly older).

An overall sick, twisted, disturbing, intelligent, and engrossing horror film with some genuine storytelling ability and brains. I can't recommend this film highly enough!

4. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I just got done watching it and I hated it. The premise is original and interesting, but the characters never once behaved like real people. The only scene that was surprising for me was the one with the girl at the gas station. That was something I not only hadn't seen before, but it played out in a realistic fashion.

5. Spit

Spit Active Member

I'm behind the times, so I just saw this a few days ago. I dug it, but I dont think it was on a Ginger Snaps or May level. I see a lot of coments about the gas station girl scene on here, and yeah, it was unexpected, but I think it disrupted the flow of the film. I also didnt like JT, something about that character just didnt seem like a high school boy. In the end I think this flick should have tried to come off a little darker than it did.

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Wow, this was one fucked up movie — and I absolutely loved it!

At times unabashedly demented, but brilliant. The vibe of the film reminded me of around 20 years ago for some reason. You really don't see modern cellphones or computers in the film, and it had a very twisted River's Edge meets Sonic Youth Goo-esque atmosphere to it....for lack of a better terminology.

There were some dark comedic moments in the film, and characters who weren't exactly compos mentis...but I thought it worked in the film's favor.

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

For those who didn't know, the director of DeadGirl has a new horror movie that has been airing on the Cinemax channels called Totem. I DVRed it the other day and it wasn't very good, but people here seemed to love DeadGirl so much I figured might as well mention it here.

Better suited for Lifetime than Cinemax, both in terms of plot and explicitness. The plot is about a single father and his two daughters, and the father's new girlfriend who moves in with them. When strange things start to happen around the house, they start to suspect that the ghost of the mother is back and she isn't too happy about the father's new girlfriend.

I guess there's some decent twists in the last 20 minutes, but the only reason I was surprised by them is that the movie had been so by-the-numbers up to that point that I wasn't expecting any twist whatsoever. Literally nothing happens during the first hour of the movie. I was just grateful the movie picked up some steam at the end.

Can't say I'd recommend it, but for those who have been eagerly anticipating what the director of DeadGirl would do next... here it is.