Deadly Blessing- a Craven classic!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Cujo108, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

This film is underrated as hell. I personally consider it Craven's best film aside from The Hills Have Eyes. Of course, I've always been interested in the Amish culture, so this film taking it a step further with the Hittites was something I was intrigued by before I'd even first watched it. Fertile ground for Craven given his stern religous upbringing. The entire film is shrouded in an eerie atmosphere from the get-go. The country setting is beautiful, yet strangely menacing in the confines of the film. We also are treated to a few unnerving sequences, the snake in the bathtub and the spider dream sequence in particular. There's also a lengthy setpiece which takes place in the barn, exceptionally well done.

Maren Jenson is a gorgeous woman, and she brings a grounded quality to her leading role. It's a pity she didn't do anymore films, TV or anything after this. This film marked Sharon Stone's first speaking role, and while she isn't great or even good, I did like her delivery when describing her dream early on. Ernest Borgnine and Michael Berryman are both favorites of mine, and they deliver two more solid characters to their resum├ęs. The underrated Lois Nettleton is here too as Jensen's oddball neighbor.

I also have to admit that I loved the ending, which is often bashed. I thought if fit with everything that had come before, like the dog on the prowl, the spiders, Stone's dream sequences, etc. It felt like a malevolent force was influencing the surrounding area.

This film is a long-standing favorite of mine, and I for one think it deserves more respect. Of course, for that to happen, I suppose more people would need to see it first. Probably Craven's least seen film, which is most unfortunate.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2009
  2. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

I love it. Fun slasher with some pretty cool sequences.

3. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

waiting for darkness

This is my Craven favorite actually, who owns this movie BTW ?. A DVD is certainly a must, though a Sharon Stone commentary is out of the question I reckon, or what !?!. Maren "Battlestar Galactica" Jensen is indeed nice (Don Henley thought so too), Borgnine is terrific and Michael Berryman manages to scare me for once. Actor-turned-director Douglas Barr (Howie on TV's "The Fall Guy") is on hand as the unlucky husband, and I wouldn't mind if Lisa Hartman lived next barn to me. The music is haunting, I can't praise it enough. Which reminds me, I must go off now and listen to Ozzy's "Spiders"... :eek:

4. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

I believe MGM has this one. Though they lost some of their old Embassy titles about a year ago. I hope this wasn't one of them.

5. I would really love to get my hands on a DVD of this old classic.

I also think that it is one of Craven's better efforts.

I will have to look around and see if I still have my old original VHS on this, since I have a feeling that this thread is going to make me want to watch it again. :D

6. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

One of my favorite Craven flicks. What a cast! Sharon Stone, Michael Berryman, Ernest Borgnine!
    I hope this one pops up on DVD soon.

7. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I don't think I've ever seen this one but would get the dvd. It sounds interesting.

8. Rock

Rock Member

Also looking forward to the DVD, one of Craven's last good movies...perhaps w/commentary from Michael Berryman and Lois Nettleton?! But the ending sucked...another good film almost ruined for the sake of yet another irrational and unnecessary last-minute shock...I'd like to see the disc have both endings, with and without the incubus.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2003
  9. WOW!

I did not even have any idea that there was an alternate ending for Deadly Blessing!

Thanks for the info Rock. :D

10. Sam

Sam Member

:eek1:

Wow! I just bought this one today on VHS for 99 cents! (didn't see this thread beforehand)

Great find, eh?

11. Rock

Rock Member

Perhaps I should clarify about the "alternate" ending...I've read (in Phil Hardy's Encyclopedia of Horror Movies?) that some British sensors cut out the incubus-exploding-out-of-the-floor-and-whisking-Maren-Jensen-away-to-perdition scene, which made for a completely different viewing experience...I, for one, would like to see it sometime...

12. r_burgos2003

r_burgos2003 Guest

This was a good film (my favorite Wes Craven flick would have to be "Summer of Fear") but I hate it when the cast doesn't want to have a commentary because it's too embaressing to go back to their roots. If they made the film they should do a commentary-If they wanted to be such big stars then they shouldn't have done an ''obscure'' film. I think it should be in every actor's contract to do a commentary for each film they sign up for.

13. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I always dug Deadly Blessing - the ending seems to throw many critics off. It never bothered me - I knew there was an element of evil present and it finally rears its head and take our main character away - what is that such a problem?:glasses:
    Also, I have the nice-looking one-sheet poster and even though Sharon Stone is the gal on the poster, why did they darken her hair?:nervous:

14. Fart Lighter

Fart Lighter Guest

I have an old UK VHS of this, and just dug it out after reading this thread. Still find it a boring movie for the most, but the Incubus ending is in there. It wouldn't be cut out by the UK censors either; It's neither gory nor violent.

As for who owns this, it's Universal. The film was made by Polygram, who are now part of the Universal group (Hence why Universal have AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON as well), so don't get any hopes up of seeing it on DVD anytime soon. Damn Universal, a studio built on Horror that refuses to release horror movies...What a bunch of tossers!

15. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I've never even heard of this flick. Was it a made-for-TV movie or am I just retarded for not knowing about it? It sounds like a winner so if a DVD ever surfaces I'm all over it.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2005
  16. Justin Kerswell

Justin Kerswell New Member

It may have got a little lost when it was released (there was many horror/slasher flicks out in the early 80's - ah, halcyon days!), but it got a theatrical release in both the US and the UK.

Now, I don't think the ending was cut by censors, rather it was tagged on by the studio against the wishes of Craven, I believe, who wanted a more downbeat non-supernatural ending.

17. Rock

Rock Member

Thanks for the clarification, Justin, makes perfect sense...

18. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

I'm bumping this thread, because some guy in chat really, REALLY disagrees with Cujo on this and had some strong words to share with him.

Here's your chance, hI. You have the floor.

19. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I don't think "hl" will ever reply Wes.

20. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

:lol: :lol: :lol: