Deadly Blessing- a Craven classic!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Cujo108, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Luna

Luna Guest

:lol: :lol:

It'd surely be a good opportunity for a regular lurker to delurk if he/she so desired...

Ahem. :D

:banana:

Edited: Holy fuck, when did I get over 1000 posts??

2. Ravenheart

Ravenheart Guest

I've always liked Deadly Blessing.The whole atmosphere of the movie gives me the creeps whenever I watch it even now.The spider scene with Sharon Stone has to be one of my favorites of the movie :D

3. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

How right you were. :)

4. satanservant

satanservant Guest

I've never seen this one. Sounds good though. I'm going to try and find it at the video stores around my area. Maybe they will have a copy.

5. rhett

rhett Administrator

I finally saw this forgotten Craven film, and I liked it a great deal. It was certainly better than I was expecting it to be, and you can see Craven beginning to show some visual polish. It definitely predicts ANOES, with the similarly shot bath scene, the green and red color contrasts and the irrational, tacked on ending. It is also a pretty overt attack on the sheltering harm of religion, something that had prevented Craven from watching movies until he was in college. Some scenes look really beautiful, and it is tough to imagine that in a few short years from THE HILLS HAVE EYES to DEADLY BLESSING how much his visual sense improved. I sure hope this makes DVD soon.

6. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Yep, this is certainly a classic. I hope someone like Anchor Bay puts it out soon, this seems like prime material for them considering the superb job they did on The Hills Have Eyes!

7. rhett

rhett Administrator

Or MGM, considering they own it and did a superb job with Last House on the Left. :)

8. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I didn't know MGM owns it. Are you sure they still do? Perhaps the rights went to Warner Bros. or something.

9. Rock

Rock Member

Anyone know whatever happened to the gorgeous Susan Buckner (Vicki)? She gave both Maren Jensen and Sharon Stone a good run for their money in the babe department...her death scene with Jeff East was prob the most powerful scene in the movie...

10. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

According to IMDB she now teaches childrens theater classes in a Miami Elementary school.She was in GREASE and had a recurring role on the old NANCY DREW tv show.It looks like DEADLY BLESSING was her last film.

I always liked the film and truly hope it makes it to dvd.The finale is remarkably like the later NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET.By the way,Sharon Stone is a very close friend of Craven's ex wife,Mimi.

11. This movie rules!! Let's hope it comes to dvd asap!!

12. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Looking at MGM's rumored 2005 fall lineup I doubt this will hit DVD anytime soon. At least not this year. That is, if MGM own the rights.

13. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I've heard more recently that Universal owns the rights. Whoever actually owns it, I wish they'd put it out on DVD already. I've been waiting for this one too long. A Craven commentary would be golden too.

14. geeare

geeare Guest

i remember seeing the trailer for this one as a kid and being scared to death to sleep on my back for fear a spider may drop into my mouth.....yikes.

15. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

this movie takes a couple viewings for me to like it i have it on vhs

16. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I finally got around to viewing the Umbrella DVD release that I bought last summer. The transfer is very good, sound is fine. No noticeable hiss or anything like that. The Craven commentary was interesting. I've loved this film for years, and yet, I never realized it was shot in Waxahachie, which is just in the next county over. I go there to the "Screams Terror Park" every Halloween. Anyway, it was very cool to learn that. There's also an amusing story about Borgnine's wooden carriage being smashed to splinters (with him in it) by an unruly horse. Plenty of other little tidbits as well, though Craven himself doesn't seem to think as highly of the film as I do. Oh well.

17. FilmFiend

FilmFiend New Member

I remember seeing DB at the theater when I was a kid. I thought the incubus ending was quite freaky back then. I bought the old Embassy VHS for .99 from a video store going out of business a long time ago.

18. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

Love this film...... :D

Sharon Stone is great.....much better than today...

Yeah, I love everything about this film

19. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

This is probably my favorite by Wes Craven (yes, I like it better than A Nightmare on Elm Street). It is thematically interesting in its juxtaposition of a strict, patriarchal culture with individuals who hold more modern values, but better yet, it actually delivers as a horror movie. Craven proves that he was able to pull off a jump scare (in the barn scene, for instance), and while the movie adheres more closely to the slasher formula than, say, A Nightmare on Elm Street, the setting and the implications of the supernatural both help to distinguish it.

A DVD special edition is sorely needed.

20. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It's a good deal better than DEADLY FRIEND (which needless to say isn't that hard to accomplish on account that DEADLY FRIEND is a complete and utter piece of shit!).