Deadly Blessing- a Craven classic!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Cujo108, Feb 14, 2003.

1. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I've never seen this and this thread has convinced me to track it down.

2. taxidriver6

taxidriver6 New Member

How ironic that I came across this thread after I bought the dvd last Saturday having never heard or seen this Craven flick. I got it at my local Big Lots in their 4 titles for $10 sale. The dvd case shows it's part of Warner Bros 'Twisted Terror Collection." Disc is anamorphic widescreen and only extra it seems is the trailer. Those looking for it check out Big Lots. I'll see if I can get another copy or two for anyone having no luck finding a copy...

3. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

^ You're thinking of Deadly Friend. This film isn't on R1, but there is a nice DVD from Umbrella that has a fine transfer and Craven commentary. Certainly more than I expect it to get from Universal if and when they release it.

4. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Thought this was just OK. I actually prefer Deadly Friend over this. One big negative to Blessing is the terrible ending. In the British version the last shot was cut out and I think the movie would've been better for it.

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It is a nice DVD. Solid 16x9 transfer, and the Craven commentary is interesting.

I've always had a soft spot for Deadly Friend! :eek1:

6. springjack

springjack New Member

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  7. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    A terrific, intriguing movie. I remember the seemingly endless TV spots back in '81. It was quite popular with the kids in the 'hood when it was on Showtime a year later. I never actually watched it until after I saw Basic Instinct in '92.

8. promnight13

promnight13 New Member

Wish this was out on a Region 1 DVD. I have a bootleg with a fantastic Widescreen offering but just do not understand why Universal hasn't put this out by now. It's a WES CRAVEN film for Christ's Sake!

Wago70 - I LOVED those TV spots BTW back in the day. I always check Youtube every now and then to see if somebody uploaded one.

9. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Yeah - those were cools. I was a manic TV watcher and I loved waiting to see which horror movies were coming out. Here are some in 1981 that were relentlessly promoted:
    "Deadly Blessing", "The Howling", "Alligator", "Friday the 13th Part 2" (including a radio commercial I heard only once).
    Other classic trailers seen only once or twice: "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" (I haven't seen this one ever again - it started with Franklin and Sally/Leatherface attacking. there was no narration until Teri falls in the room), "The Evil Dead" (never saw this version again - very short mostly the widows going crazy on Ash), "Nightmare", "Funeral Home" (this was the funniest: a narrator saying how gruesome and scary this film is so they couldn't show any scenes. The camera pans up and down the one sheet poster instead). "Final Exam" (in the first week of July '81), "It Came Without Warning" (classic).
    Trailers of popular films I never saw on TV: "American Werewolf in London", "The Burning" to name a few.
    I think I was wondering if "Deadly Blessing" was expected to be a hit since it opened in my hometown at in indoor theater...with a co-feature attached (Wolfen). Usually strong films opened solo at indoor theaters. One of the only other films that opened with a co-feature attached on its first run at an indoor was "The Burning" (w/ Dressed to Kill).