Deadpool (2016) non-spoiler review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Feb 11, 2016.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Deadpool (2016)
    Directed by Tim Miller

Ryan Reynold has tried to get this Deadpool film off the ground for 10 years as he is a big fan of the character and desperately wants to make amends for how the character was butchered in the now defunct timeline of X-Men Origins: Wolverine. It took the leaking of some old commissioned test footage that got comic fandom buzzing to finally get greenlit. Then Reynolds and co wisely settled for a very low budget so they could keep the film R rated and have delivered a film very authentic to its origins.

For those unaware of Deadpool, he is a former Special Forces operative turned smart mouthed mercenary who is subjected to a rogue experiment that leaves him with accelerated healing powers, adopting the alter ego Deadpool. He is part of the Marvel universe or more specifically within big screen parameters, the X-Men universe. He is famous for being the one character who constantly breaks the fourth wall and speaks to the readers directly, or in this case viewers. Everything about his character is not the usual fare for superhero films which is half the reason he has never made it properly for this long.

Reynolds was born for the role and he delivers with the help of a smart script that does not hold back and my shock many who are used to the PG super hero films of the last decade. The supporting cast are great too and include some familiar characters. There is no shaky-cam for the action which is great and it really delivers. The budget may have been quite low comparatively but it rarely shows except for in the special effect in a small part of the finale. This may end up being the funniest comedy of the year, the best action film of the year, the raunchiest R rated film of the year and it wouldn't surprise me if in a year when there are more high profile super-hero films coming out than ever before, that this ends up being at the top of that mountain too.

This is a smaller film that does not need for their to be earth destroying consequences to give it gravitas. Much like Ant-man from last year the situation is smaller but the film has relationships set up and some heart as well but not unlike the Daredevil netflix show, the gloves are off here and they are way off and anything goes!

8/10

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    Mok likes this.
  2. thing

thing Well-Known Member

anyone gonna see this on the weekend? or did the shitty trailers put you off?

3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Yep, I'm going this Saturday :)

4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I didn't catch the trailers and I had no idea who this character was going in (I heard it was going to be "funny" which made me a little uneasy)...but the movie was a fucking BLAST. I haven't had that much actual fun at the movies in a very long time. I left the theater grinning like a dummy and I liked it.

5. thing

thing Well-Known Member

indeed, it is wall to wall entertainment for sure

6. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I may wait and rent this eventually - I just find Ryan Reynolds so annoying I am afraid that thought process will kill the movie for me. I still think he was a big reason Blade Trinity was as terrible as it is. I just don't find him funny - but maybe this movie is good enough for me to get over that <:

7. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Well Deadpool is intentionally trying to annoy people, that is one of his offensive tools, maybe this is the one for you. Reynolds was not the problem or not the only problem with Blade 3, that was just a poor film through and through.

8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Loved it. Saw it last night and can't wait for more!

9. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Not only Mark Kermode liked this but check out Betty Whites review

Steel76 likes this.
  10. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

I'm hoping this will revive my desire for comic book movies as I have tired of them.

11. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

This is what a superhero should be. It was very funny and also quite violent. Thank goodness they were willing to go with an R rating. With nudity and lots of sex talk this one isn't for the kids but it certainly delivers for the adults. Do yourself a favor and go see this in the theater.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  12. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Well it does have Morena Baccarin in it - and I had a big ole crush on her in Firefly - so that helps. That was around 13 years ago and she is still smokin. Everything I have read on this movie sounds pretty positive - so I definitely have to give it a chance at some point.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  13. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

She is looking very good in the movie and graces us with a sex scene to boot.

othervoice1 likes this.
  14. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Trailers kinda suck, except for the red-band one which sold me. I got a free ticket with a BD at Best Buy and will see it next week.

15. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Record breaking opening weekend bodes well for more R rated projects

16. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Yes I just looked at that on IMDB, Great opening weekend, even if your not a fan, you have to be happy at the numbers as this hopefully bodes well for more R rated product.

17. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Which BDs come with a ticket?

18. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Best Buy has a Deadpool cardboard standee with a selection of discs from MGM and/or Fox that have $8 moviecash. I got Hitman: Agent 47 for $9.99, but some older titles are $7.99 (so free!!!!!). I saw Boondock Saints, Predator, Robocop (org), Terminator, Heat (? not sure how this fits in being from WB, maybe someone put it in the wrong spot but I think I saw the sticker on it), the metal=pacs of X-Men 1 2 and 3 all for $7.99. They also had Kingsmen for $9.99 and maybe another title or 2 I'm forgetting. Was a no-brainer for me. I was gonna see Deadpool anyway and figure I can sell the digital code for Hitman for around $2 and have a free blu-ray too. I already own all the other cheap titles.

19. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Deadpool still trucking through second weekend, almost 500 mill worldwide already

20. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Saw it recently and loved it. I was laughing from the very beginning to the end. I'd definitely see it again in theaters.

Zombie Dude likes this.