Death Bed: The Bed That Eats

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by kyouki, Dec 10, 2006.

1. kyouki

kyouki Guest

I watched this last night and it was something else! This is a bizarre movie that was finished in the 70s, shopped around for several years, and then dropped until it was recently put out on DVD... so it's a bit of a "lost" movie.

This is the story of a demon bed and the people it eats over the course of many years. The demon bed cannot speak (it can breathe perversely, chuckle, and growl... though no can can seem to hear this), but luckily there is a painter trapped in some other dimension behind his painting of the bed to provide us with crucial plot points.

Not much gore in this one, but there is a lot of blood and some brief nudity. However, perhaps because it is so weird, there are some sort of disturbing parts. The effects are decent with the highlight being the bed's acid filled stomach digesting things such as apples, wine, fried chicken, people, and parts of people.

I love the sense of humor in this movie. It's funny, but not really "laugh out loud" funny. It's a mixture of totally bizarre images and scenes with a subtle humor. It's not necessarily a "so bad it's good" movie mostly because it was done so seriously, and is actually pretty effective.

I recommend this to anyone who is looking for something a little different.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, it's a great little movie. I remember asking on this forum a few years ago if anyone had ever actually seen it. I grabbed the DVD when it first came out, and it was a wise blind buy indeed! It seems like its cult status has increased a little bit since the DVD release.

George Barry (the director) posted some interesting tidbits on the Anchor Bay UK forum not too long ago also.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I thought it had it's moments but overall it didn't really work for me. I couldn't take the concept seriously and from what I remember the effects and acting were kind of cheesy and not really in a good way. It was different though I'll give it that.

4. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Brilliant flick, love it to death. I think it can only be watched tongue in cheek though, no way this could be taken seriously. I'd also question the statement: "there is a lot of blood". Especially since it's so cheesy.

Really good though, love the DVD. I still watch this one every now and again.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  5. Korngold

Korngold New Member

I'm surprised by the positive reviews. I would see the cover art at blockbuster and thought it was a recent direct to video release.

Well live and learn.

6. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--thought it was a recent direct to video release--

:lol:

No, it's a little older than that. What didn't you like about it?

7. Korngold

Korngold New Member

Oh haven't watched it yet. The cover art and the title turned me off. When you hear a title like death bed it just makes you think schlock. Yet judging by the reviews it looks like I misjudged it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0321961/

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  8. dwatts

dwatts New Member

9. Korngold

Korngold New Member

Welp I suck! lol

10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, if it's schlock you're looking for, the good news is - you're in the right place. :)

11. drown021

drown021 Guest

I bought this when it came out because the director is from Michigan and I try to keep it real,lol. I still havent watched it though.When I first bought it I watched like the first 15 minutes and fell asleep.I'll have to give it another try.

12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Read up on this movie a bit and decided to add it to my Netflix queue. Can't be any more bizarre than say SWV's The Toy Box (which I love), though I doubt it will have nearly as much nudity.

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  13. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Hm, I think there's a tiny but of nudity - but really it's not that kind of film at all.

Love this film.

14. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

weirdest film i ever saw