Death Machines

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by dwatts, Aug 3, 2006.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Many filmmakers are more than journeymen. These fortunate folk are able to have running themes through their work. Paul Kyriazi was a filmmaker like that (not that he's dead, but he might as well be given the opportunities he's going to be given to make films in the future). Let's look at some of the titles he gave us: Death Machines (a martial arts film with several plots), The Weapons of Death (a martial arts film with no plot), Ninja Busters (a martial arts film with no information available), One Way Out (a film with such non-characters that credits include "Tough in the warehouse", "Drug dealer in warehouse", "Tough in maroon car", "Drug dealer on sidewalk", "Police officer on firing range"), Omega Cop (a film with a credit for "Raccoon face").

It's difficult to know if Mr. Kyriazi knew he was making B movies, if he cared or would have liked to have gone on to the A-List. Likely we'll never know. Personally, I think it can sometimes be good to live slow, die fast - he certainly set the bar for that.

Death Machines then is a movie about several things. First off, it's a film about a new crime syndicate that has come into town. This crime syndicate wants to eliminate the opposition, so first they hire hit men to take them out. The hit men in question are the titular "Death Machines", highly trained mute ass-kicking bullet-proof mofo's who take orders from an Asian fiend with hair bigger than the rest of her head - bigger than rest of everyones head, combined.

The Death Machines are good, as we see in the title sequence as they lazily do away with opponents during a training session. One of them even pulls a gun from out of his foot. These are indeed, the real deal. The general theme of this part of the movie is summed up by the line: "They're trying to take this town and shove it up my ass", this uttered by a gentleman in a call box, a call box apparently installed in the middle of nowhere to service passing tumbleweed.

Death Machines then is a student film made by adults. Plugging into the mid-seventies craze for kung-Fu films, and beating the genre into submission. ...

You know what, I enjoyed it. It's nutty. It's so bad it's indisputably so. This is usually where I'd write, "It's so bad it's good", but why lie? This is so bad it's just plain bad. If you like bad, you'll like this. If you like ass-kicking mutes, you'll like this. If you like to see hair deserving of a credit unto itself, you'll like this.

Full, longer and more complete review - with screenshots @ This place here

2. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

This film is like manna from bad film heaven. I loved it, just saw it the other day. Man this movie is all over the place. One part kung fu, one part crime movie and part love story.There's a bizzaro synth score. Plus the martial artists are of the I watched Enter the Dragon 100 times on tv varity. It's one big explosion of what the fuck. I love movies like this, ones that don't seem to care if the plot is incoherent. Characters come and go, their fates never reveled. There's no real main character. The movie flirts with the idea of the police detective investigating the dojo massacre being the main character but then it switches to Frank the dude who lost his hand at the dojo and his job as a one handed bartender at a strip club and his falling in love with the nurse from hospital who took care of him. I guess the three killers could be the main characters but they never say word one, and I've seen more emotion from Jason Voorhees.

3. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

This movie is great if you drink alot of beer and have some friends along to mock all the insanity going on. Yes, it's bad, but if you like this type of thing, you will love it.

4. sundownrider

sundownrider Guest

Nothing happens in this film utterly pointless.