"Death Sentence" (2007, James Wan)

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by Uncle Jay, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Uncle Jay

Uncle Jay Member

Ah, the vigilante film. How I love them.

We've all seen revenge films...hell, Quentin Tarantino gave us one fuck of a revenge saga with Kill Bill, but that was more of a homage to various exploitation cinema. I'm talking a revenge film in the realms of Death Wish, Vigilante, Ms. 45, Walking Tall...gritty, nasty and just downright violent. Well, James Wan's third film, Death Sentence is a return to that genre of cinema that Charles Bronsan made famous except this time, done with some cinematic craft.

Nick Hume (Kevin Bacon) is an mild-mannered executive with a somewhat perfect life; beautiful wife (Kelly Preston), two sons (Stuart Lafferty, Jordan Garrett), nice home and great career. His oldest son, Brendan (Lafferty) is working his way up to a professional hockey career, much to his father's pride. After Nick attends one of Brendan's night games, on the drive home, Nick and his son stop for gas. At that moment a ruthless gang holds up the gas station rest area and brutally kill Brendan in cold blood. An initiation kill for one of the newest members.

After being the only eyewitness, followed by a crappy deal by his lawyer, Nick decides not to testify against Joe Darley (Matt O'Leary), the murderer of his oldest son. It seems that Nick, has a better punishment in mind. An eye for an eye. Nick avenges his son by killing Joe on his own ghetto turf and starts an all-out war as Joe's brother, leader of the pack Billy Darley (Garrett Hedlund), issues a death sentence on Nick's family.

Let me stop here (won't give spoilers)...

Death Sentence is a raw, edgy, cold-blooded thriller, and a satisfying revenge flick. But that's not all. Death Sentence is a dark, well-crafted thriller that works. It gets into the mind of one man's journey into loss, justice and insanity. The man's whole life changes in one instance, and Kevin Bacon portrays this with utmost certainty and believability. Director James Wan (Saw, Dead Silence) takes his themed gore factor and places them correctly in the film, making this genre piece a bit more shocking and realistic. And may I add, bold. Newbie screenwriter Ian Jeffers does some admirable work on his first ups, adapting from Brian Garfield's novel, the same novelist who wrote Death Wish.

This movie came and went without a trace, but I feel it was one of the better films of last year.

***1/2/****

[​IMG]

-UJ

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  2. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I'm a big revenge film fan and this one wasn't bad!

3. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

I was surprised that it was actually good, I expected it to be pretty lackluster. I guess that helped in my opinion.

As action flicks go, there were some really fun set pieces and it got better and better as it went on. Not really much to complain about.

4. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

I was surprised that it was actually good, I expected it to be pretty lackluster. I guess that helped in my opinion.

As action flicks go, there were some really fun set pieces and it got better and better as it went on. Not really much to complain about.

5. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Some people on this board hated this flick. I remember because when I mentioned I dug it, I caught a little admonishing. I enjoy it though. Kevin Bacon is bad ass, there's some cool action scenes/shots and John Goodman is half a bearclaw away from a massive coronary. What else do you need?

6. Tasty Toejam

Tasty Toejam Guest

Other movies to be as unintentionally funny as this one.