Death Spa (Gorgon Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by indiephantom, May 28, 2014.

1. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Just received this today and I'm ecstatic. Transfer is very nice with subtle grain ;beautiful colors and detail. Few nicks and things here and there in the print which lends it a nice grindhouse quality. The 2.0 track sounds impressive in my rather limited surround setup.

Love the artwork and the menus. Much cooler than some of the Shout Factory stuff in terms of layout. Neon signs are a theme that suits the film. This movie feels like something DePalma might have shot had he actually made Bordello of Blood for real. I can't recommend it highly enough. It was a bit pricey, but I'm happy to add a second Gorgon blu-ray to my shelf (Faces of Death was the other). This is a great time for slashers on BD! :glasses:

2. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

This release, while exciting, is a bit puzzling to me. MPI/Dark Sky had basically given up on cult titles and was only releasing direct-to-video stuff - and now here they are with this out of nowhere release of a cult oddity on Blu-ray with special features, no less. I've never seen the film but gladly grabbed a copy (it's currently on it's way to me). I've heard nothing but positive things about the film and, judging by comments and reviews, it looks like MPI did a great job on the transfer, which is a major plus. My hope is that the label will continue pushing these lesser-known films onto BD and that this isn't just a one-time thing. Have they hinted at anything else?

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I watched the Blu-ray last night... and it looks amazingly good. The 50-minute documentary is a blast to watch also. It was great seeing Shari Shattuck participating in that too, who's since become a respected novelist.

It's also worth at least loading up the included DVD, which has completely different menus than on the Blu-ray.

4. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

5. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

They just released Dan Curtis' Dracula and there's supposed to be an upcoming 40th anniversary Blu-Ray for The Texas Chain Saw Massacre later this year. Nothing else has been hinted at, as far as I know.

6. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I'm looking forward to watching this, but what's up with the ad on the inside of the packaging? I've tried it a couple of times since I got it and all it loads is a white page or a GoDaddy page for a site that isn't there; this is a new release, how could it be gone already? That DNS is owned by MPI Media Group... I wanna buy some stuff with the Gorgon logo on it!

7. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Nice! I'm going to pop that in to check it out.

8. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

MPI always planned on releasing Death Spa...they announced it, I don't know maybe like 4-5 years ago...maybe more. They never gave up on releasing cult titles, they just decided to put it on hold while they focused on putting most of their efforts in releasing features not only for the home market, but also for limited theatrical runs as well.

Why MPI decided on relaunching Gorgon NOW as their releasing division would be news to me. Maybe they now have the ability to focus on both endeavors...Gorgon for releasing cult titles and Dark Sky for new flicks? But none-the-less it is a very good thing. Just think if MPI released Death Spa when they had originally planned...it most likely would have been a DVD only. Instead now everyone is enjoying this beloved trash from the 80's in glorious HD...so awesome.

9. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

Does MPI have any other '80s horror/cult titles (besides the Faces of Death sequels)? I know they have a bunch from the '70s...The Centerfold Girls on BD would be nice. :glasses:

10. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Their FACES OF DEATH Blu was a Gorgon title, too.

As far as other exploitation titles, I know they're working on Arthur Marks' THE ROOMMATES (1973).

11. Katatonia

12. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Bought this in store. A hefty 35 bucks, not including tax, but it's a strong late 80s film that I can get into. So why not?

13. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

yeah, it was pricy, and a blind-buy for me as well, but i feel pretty confident about it.

14. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

happy to report I enjoyed it a lot. it's campy and gory, and has enough "what the fuck?" moments to give it charm, while not enough outright mistakes to make it a chore to sit through. looking forward to checking out the supplements. I wish all my blind buys were this successful.

my personal favorite wtf scene was at the end, during the inexplicable Mardi Gras party (is it a gym or a nightclub?), where the shit hits the fan and people start getting mangled, and yet 90% of the people continue partying for a good 10 minutes longer.

15. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Lol this movie has a LOT of WTF moments but I still found it somewhat enjoyable. There some good efx but most of the kills are offscreen, which I find annoying. Overall a decent flick. Love the menus.

16. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Damn... region A locked!

17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

18. Katatonia

19. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I'll check this one out. It sounds crazy. I searched and found another one called Killer Workout. I'll probably make a double feature out of it.

20. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    The image is pretty soft but I think it is due to the way they filmed it. I've always clowned this film, in a good way, but I've got to admit that this is very creatively shot. Many shots are very inspired, especially the moments featuring the "Witch Bitch." The making of featurette was a blast, although a Ken Foree was sorely missed. It is hard to believe that this made it to Blu-ray, but it seems like right place-right time because I'm hearing about all sorts of folks blind-buying this at a pretty steep price.

Now its time to bring on the Summer Camp Nightmare special edition.