Deep Discount is starting to suck

Discussion in 'General' started by Devo1313, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Devo1313

Devo1313 New Member

I just made an order out at Deep Discount(formerly Deep Discount DVD) and about half of the titles I wanted are no longer there. And they were there right before they "merged".
    No longer there were Fantastic Argoman,From Beyond The Grave,Encounters of the Unknown,The Witchmaker,Sexbomb and more.
    Beware people! I think we seeing the end of another good thing. I see another Best Buy situation lurking closer where if it isn't mainstream garbage and sells 50 copies a day they won't carry it.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

That occured back on their old site too. I still have good luck ordering from them in general though.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Fantastic Argoman is a bootleg from Jeffilms, I don't think From Beyond The Grave was ever actually released, Sexbomb is from Media Blasters whom DDD's had an off/on relationship because of thier sales so is probably an oversight. As for Encounteres of the Unknown and The Witchmaker, I don't even think those were on DVD...

I'd hardly say the sky is falling on this one. Considering they're my main source of cult DVDs along with DVDPlanet whom use the same shipping facility I've never noticed them missing anything compared to any other sites within reason. (They're not going to have Xploited Cinema's selection for example)

4. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Yeah, if true, sounds like they've cleared out some bootleg titles. Not sure about Sexbomb, but looking at the cover on Amazon, I'm not feling a sense of loss. :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright - apologies to Devo1313 for my comment above - because you know what, I just went through the DDD site, and something else is going on. :(

Here are the films that were on my wish list that they now list as "discontinued":

Unknown Island
    Crucible of Terror
    Deranged/Motel Hell - Midnite Movies Double Feature
    Die, Monster, Die!
    Kill Baby Kill
    Kiss of the Tarantula
    Lisa and the Devil/The House of Exorcism
    Sister My Sister
    Strangler of the Swamp
    THE BEAST MUST DIE
    Pit and the Pendulum
    Thing with Two Heads
    Fireball XL5
    Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
    Donovan's Brain
    Naked City
    Reptilicus
    Thin Man
    Village of the Giants
    Total Recall
    God Said Ha!
    P.D. James - Unnatural Causes
    SISTERS
    Blind Terror
    'Till Death Us Do Part - Dock Pilfering
    Till Death Us Do Part - To Garnett A Grandson
    AVENGERS '64 COLLECTION 1
    Snuff
    Asylum
    Comedy of Terrors/The Raven - Midnite Movies Double Feature
    BRAIN DAMAGE (LE)
    Phantom of the Opera
    INVASION USA (SE)
    Angry Red Planet
    Brotherhood of Satan
    ORGAN (UNCUT SE)
    Cronos
    Prime Suspect 6: The Last Witness
    Essential Sherlock Holmes - 8 DVD Set
    Larry Cohen Collection
    Keith Jarrett - Solo Tribute
    Keith Jarrett Trio - Concert 1996
    Keith Jarrett - Standards II
    Are You Being Served? Again! - The Complete Series
    Embryo
    Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea & Fantastic Voyage
    Two Lost Worlds
    Blood Trilogy
    Lost World
    Brothers Quay Collection - The Astonishing Short Films 1984-1993
    Institute Benjamenta or: This Dream People Call Human Life
    Junk Food
    Toy Box/Toys Are Not For Children - Double Feature
    Acts of Worship
    16 Years Of Alcohol
    Bloody New Year
    Black Torment
    Maniac
    XTRO 3 - Watch the Skies
    House on Sorority Row
    Nude For Satan
    American Psycho
    King Kong Collection
    Sette Scialli Di Seta Gialla
    Let Me Die a Woman

What's the about? Others show "in-stock" and "out of stock". Discontinued though?!?!

I don't know what good it will do, but have emailed them asking what's going on.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I have Dark Sky's editions of ASYLUM and BEAST MUST DIE on my wish list and they're both listed as In Stock. Why the discrepancy? Did you have the old Image discs on your wish list or something? A lot of those have been out for years and years. They may very well indeed be out of print. You can't expect everything to be around forever, unfortunately. :(

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  6. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Perhaps - and I don't expect everything to be around forever - however, many on my list are not old at all, and this "discontinued" thing is new for me at DDD.

Obviously they've pulled a bunch of MGM stuff, I guess that's all OOP now then?

7. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

DWatts - the MGM Midnight movies double features (not all of them but quite a few), Cronos - those all have recently went OOP. This has nothing to do with DeepDiscount. Maniac is coming out from BU. BU discontinued the Larry Cohen Collection. Too lazy to look through the rest of the list but many of them very well could now be OOP.

I ordered some of these (MGM Midnight Movies) since I heard they were going to go OOP.

8. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I guess the real test will be if they have the sales this year. When I first saw that they'd expanded, I started wondering if they'd quit doing the sales, because I'm sure the expansion was expensive and there might be a pressure to control costs. I guess it depends how much extra revenue comes in from the sale vs. the amount lost in discounts. I rarely buy anything from them other than via the sales, so hopefully there are enough like me out there for them to keep having them.

9. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

dwatts, a number of those titles on your list are out of print from the manufacturer. MGM (or Sony or Fox or whoever) did yank a bunch of the Midnight Movies, and 1984 has been out of print for a couple of years. House on Sorority Row (like Re-Animator and NOTLD from the same company) also tends to go in and out of print.

It also looks like they've d/c'ed a lot of those Brentwood 4-and-10 packs; whether those are really OOP or not I don't know, though.

10. zombiecraig

zombiecraig New Member

Yeah, what happened to From Beyond the Grave? That was due at the beginning of November and was never released. Anyone know anything about what happened? I think Image was due to release it.

11. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Retromedia didn't properly license FBTG, at least that's the general belief. Fred Olan Ray is claiming that the release was cancelled due to inferior elements, but if you've seen the quality of the bulk of Retromedia's output you know that's nothing but BS.

12. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

about 90% of my DDD wishlist is discontinued. I guess I'll be saving alot of money now.

13. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

The fact that they raised the prices on their Code Red DVDs is a bit upsetting as well. I'm just hoping that they'll work out all the kinks in the new site in the coming months. As of right now, the new DDD isn't look so good.

14. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

Did you check your wishlist often?

Because with the site redesign, I noticed that everything I ever put on my wishlist (that I didn't either purchase or remove myself) had been restored. The old site wouldn't show things on my wishlist that were discontinued, but the new one does. So I had things showing up on my wishlist that I had put there years ago that haven't shown up in ages. Hell, I didn't even know that I had "1984" on my DDD wishlist until it showed up! (I actually picked it up at Borders a couple of years back when I first heard it went OOP.)

15. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Thanks for your advice guys. Therea re certainly titles on my wish list that arn't OOP, but I guess some are. It does seems strange, but it's not as though we're going to change DDD at all.

16. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

I also did notice that some items in my wishlist were a buck or so more and some items were a buck or so less. Either way, as long as I don't have to pay for tax or shipping, I'm a happy boy.

17. Sam

Sam Member

Ouch, I still have about 20-25 titles on my want list from the last 20% sale that I didn't get around to so this is crappy news if several of them aren't even in their warehouse and may not be soon.

18. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

Well I guess I'll add another nail in they're coffin. I also had a list of dvd's I was going to purchase. Now even after I double checked everything is showing up as discontinued etc etc. I could swallow that pill but now there's another problem. They jacked up they're prices! F$%K! just my luck! ............ow well easy come asy go. :sperm: Free shipping or not if they jack they're prices then your not exactly getting free shipping DUH!! Bummer I guess you can kiss they're 20% off sale for good.

BTW any of you remember the REAL ORIGINAL deepdiscountdvd RiP website called DVDEXPRESS.COM? :p

19. This thread kinda spooked me, so I decided to log-in and check the status of my wishlist.

I guess I'm one of the few that will report my list has stayed UNchanged (prices and all). I only have about 7 items in it, some Shriek Show titles, but most are WB titles (like the Justice League seasons and Its Alive triple feature).

I'd hate to NOT have DDD at my disposal down the road, whenever I couldn't get a deal on a DVD, I always ordered it through them! At the very least they'd save me $2 to $3.

Yeah, Vlachio, I remember DVDEXPRESS, I didn't know they were one & the same, I remember in the dawn of the DVD age ordering from them quite a bit.

20. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

Upon closely examining my wishlist, it doesn't look all that different. With over 100 items and a value of nearly $2,000.00, it's not small.

The only items showing up as newly discontinued are a few of the Brentwood sets and all of the Troma DVDs. I'm getting a lot of DVDs showing up as discontinued that went out of print a long time ago and are just now showing up on my list again. (Prior to the site overhaul, when items were discontinued by the site they no longer appeared on our wishlists.)

As far as the prices go, I don't think I see any significant increases anywhere. The Media Blasters/Shriek Show titles look to be discounted at about 25-30% off instead of the 40% off they were originally, but they raised those prices months ago, following their June 20% off sale. (They also pulled all of those titles from their site just before the sale and when they came back a couple of months later the discount was less, so I'm guessing it has something to do with MB/SS and not DDD.)

What are some of the specific price increases and discontinued items people are seeing?