Deep Discount is starting to suck

Discussion in 'General' started by Devo1313, Feb 25, 2007.

1. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

No Playboy catalog for me yet. But since I've been a subscriber to the magazine for the past ten or so years, I can't really lay blame at DD if I get one.

What kind of catalog was it? I thought most of the Playboy DVDs went out of print a couple of years ago.

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Can you check the back cover over your address and see what the Source Code number is? Mine's P7L016. I've just now noticed the catalog's address is Itasca Illinois, the same city Deep Discount is located. :rolleyes:

JW77 it's almost entirely like a Victoria's Secret catalog. They're selling a one piece PJ with a cutout seat flap, as demonstrated in photographic detail. The model had a Playboy bunny on her back side so it worked out rather nicely. $59, buy 3 get a 4th free! Disappointingly all the models are caucasian. Not even a red head! And here I thought Hef had made good strides mixing the pot.

Amazingly though in the DVD section they have Media Blasters, Blue Underground, Cult Epics and Severin DVDs listed. I just ordered a few BU DVDs during DD's sale, although not the ones in the catalog. It's very possible that simply ordering discs from those studios is enough to be put on the list to receive a catalog.

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It's the same parent company (Infinity Resources). DVD Planet, Deep Discount, Critic's Choice Video, and numerous internet and mailorder catalog offerings and stores (Playboy included) are owned/licensed/managed by Infinity.

Any google search will come up with it: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=playboy+infinity+resources

4. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I would check for you, but I already threw it out. I was rather mortified at the time.

I ordered in that sale too, so I wonder. They are definitely top on my list of possible offenders, especially after reading Katatonia's post.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2007
  5. Katatonia

The new Kubrick set is backordered at most online stores, due to "high demand" is the rumor. Even most pre-orders haven't been filled from the sound of it.

I picked mine up at Best Buy last afternoon for $54.99, and they only had a couple in stock.

I've also heard that some Target stores are stocking it for $59.99.

6. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

Yeah sort of defeats the purpose of pre-ordering eh?

7. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

I've read that the cover art on the individual DVDs sucks ass. Apparently, instead of using the cool-looking covers that the individual releases got (like the starchild on 2001) they used some kind of horrible photochop stuff.

So the 2001 DVD just has HAL's red "eye" on a black background, The Shining has the REDRUM door on against a black background (a few sets seem tohave the original art for this disc, though, so it doesn't match the other discs), and ACO just has a big blow-up of Alex's eye.

So if the artwork matters to you, you might want to beware this boxed set.

8. Katatonia

There are six standard sized keepcases (they aren't thinpaks) in the box itself, 10 discs total. The covers are basically just black with the film title and a single "iconic photo of the film" on the front cover. I don't really think the minimalist effect looks too bad as the artwork wasn't a real selling point for me, the overall value was.

The Shining is being reported as having the "door" artwork OR the normal retail artwork in the set. My set came with the normal retail "Jack face" artwork of the individual release.

The rear covers are different in very subtle ways when compared to the retail individual releases, but they do all have photos/overviews/extras/details/etc. listed on them. They all have different UPC codes than the individual retail pieces...unless you get The Shining retail version in the set as I did.

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

As a Kubrick fan I just want to say it warms my heart that demand is out weighing supply on these new releases. Sure it's a pain in the ass that my pre-order from August is STILL on backorder, but it's worth it to see egg on the face on those at Warner who underestimated his appeal.

10. BroodingHope

BroodingHope New Member

I don't mind waiting either. With the Bava set and the movies I picked up with the Hollywood video sale, I will need the time to catch uo.

11. VenicuS

VenicuS Guest

Hope nobody minds me resurrecting this thread, but I'm so fed up with DeepDiscount, I need to vent. So, during the last big sale in November, I ordered the Collector's Edition box set of "Forbidden Planet" in HD DVD format. I get the usual stuff, email says it shipped as of 11/24.

As you might guess, here we are on the first day of 2008, and still no order. I've done the whole email thing with customer service, and after much gnashing of teeth (Please confirm your mailing address, blah, blah), I get confirmation on another copy being shipped, due to arrive between the 2nd and 8th of Jan.

Then I get charged for it. Again. So, I fire back a request to have the charge refunded, which they do relatively quickly. And now, today I discover that they've charged me a third time. WTF? Flame #2 is in their inbox.

Yeah, I'm pretty ticked right now. In all honesty, I'm not holding my breath that I'll ever see this shipment arrive, but either way, I'm done with them. This is my first order since the merge, and I don't know what happened, but they blew this one big time. From now on, I'm sticking with Amazon, (since I got the Blade Runner Ultimate set I pre-ordered two days after it came out), DVD Empire, and DVD Pacific. Deep Discount can go screw.

12. I would give them a call if I were you. The one time I had a problem with them (I didn't recieve my order), I called them up, explained the situation and they had it fixed in no time. They sent me a new order free of charge. I hope you get it sorted out one way or another.

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Whenever I have a problem that requires some explaining I always call. Even if your e-mail seems plain as day sometimes it'll still get all mixed up if someone reads it too fast. And just a warning too, I've been dropped a few times during their phone switchings. While all their employees on the other end have been great and understanding the phone system itself sucks big time.

I can understand why you've dropped them, I'm never ordering again from Warner's new web store for reason less bothersome than what you've experienced.

And just a note: Has anyone else noticed that DVDPacific's prices aren't as good as they use to be? I've been doing price comparisons and when they use to be regularly a dollar or more less now they're often between pennies and a few dollars more.

14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm totally fed up with Deep Discount. I'm gonna go back to ordering from DVDEmpire, Amazon and CDuniverse. Deep Discount has become too much of a hassle.

~Matt

15. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I special order discs through work but of course, that limits me to R1. I've had one experience with HKFlix which was excellent. I've ordered from Deep Discount on at least 5-6 occassions and never had a problem. Hope it all gets cleared up for you!

16. Stige

Stige Active Member

hmm four boxes in wait sent supposedly on 11 november still not recieved
    two recent orders wit missing discs inside sealed boxes . Maybe I should call them , seems thjey are losing their touch

that said recieved a lot of other orders with no problems---

17. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Today I got an email from DeepDiscount letting me know my order was delayed for at least 21 days due to "overwhelming orders". The strange thing is I cancelled this order on the phone over a month ago.

18. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Alrighty. You know, I might well be done with these sales now. You have to be VERY careful, and I'm not sure I can be bothered to wait for the 20% thing to come around - I'll just buy when I need.

My "Wish List" total has dropped - get this - $700 since the sale ended (I do have a long list, but.....)

An example - I bought a set each of Mr. Moto and Charlie Chan films. They were $44 and with 20% off came in at around $38. Today they're around $36 - that's WITHOUT a discount. There are other examples.

Basically, they crank the price pre-sale. I'll got through my entire wish list to figure out what else is going on - but honestly, I don't think DDD play fair with this anymore.

19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Wow, that sucks. And I got'em for $17.49 each with DD's B1G1F sale. :D

I bought almost entirely SWV titles and double checking a few just now I still paid much less with the sale.

BAVA BOX SET V.02 $26.56 (Sale) / $33.20 (Today)
    DIRTY MIND OF YOUNG SALLY/TEENAGE $11.25 (Sale) / $14.06 (Today)
    FORBIDDEN HOLLYWOOD COLLECTION V.1 $21.18 (Sale) / $26.47 (Today)
    SWAMP GIRL/SWAMP COUNTRY/VIRGIN $8.81 (Sale) / $11.01 (Today)

It may mostly be high volume items they raise the prices on. Course Forbidden Hollywood must be in the same realm as Chan/Moto so perhaps it's studios? Last year Media Blasters had their entire catalog pulled. Perhaps Fox just had them raise the price, considering they were planning the B1G1F down the road it make sense.

20. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I don't know what's going on mate. I'm not really all that bothered over the sets being a couple dollars less than I paid, a couple bucks isn't going to bother me here or there. But $700 sure is a problem. I guess you just have to be really careful and keep an eye on things. A month or so before the sale I'll print out my wish list so I can check things out.

I hope you enjoyed the Chan and Moto sets - I'll pick up the other sets soon I reckon.